shape
carat
color
clarity

Shades of Beryl

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Some examples of the many colors of Beryl to follow up on the "pink emerald" thread (see https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pink-emeralds.32303/).

Top row L-2-R: 2.65ct Emerald
4.01ct Greem Beryl
8.39ct Aquamarine
3.42ct Goshenite

Middle row: 2 approx. 1.5ct each Heliodor on sides
(trillions) 1.4ct Morganite (aka "pink emerald'') in center

Bottom row: 2 approx. .9ct each Champagne Beryl on sides
1.19ct Emerald in center

Unfortunately, no Red Beryl (bixbite).

BerylPS.jpg

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Why does the green beryl look yellow?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2005 7:31:32 AM
Author: Cave Keeper
CK,
So-called green beryl, not to be confused with much brighter green emerald (which is colored by chromium/vanadium-the latter subject to some debate), tends to be more olive in tone. In addition, I think the yellowish tinge to the center of the stone may be exacerbated by the light source reflecting off the off-white backing material through the window in the table of the stone. Since, the stone is still much more greenish on my monitor than the golden Heliodor (another controversy - whether Heliodor covers only yellowish green beryl and Golden Beryl is a separate gem), it could also be just a color difference in your monitor''s display. Thanks for looking.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/9/2005 9:48:27 AM
Author: GemKlctr
Heliodor (another controversy - whether Heliodor covers only yellowish green beryl and Golden Beryl is a separate gem), i

Oh me...more name games. Who''s trying to sell that idea? Heliodor is named after:

"He·li·os ( hē '' lē-ŏs '' ) n. Greek Mythology. The sun god, son of Hyperion, depicted as driving his chariot across the sky from east to west daily."

We''re covered by a thick bank of fog this morning or I''d check the color personally but the last time I saw the sun it looked very, um, heliodor-like: all warm golden yellow. The greenish-yellow beryl I''ve seen, mainly from Ukraine but other locations as well, is very beautiful but not at all the same color as the sun.

Richard M.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How lovely! to add together all colors like that...
1.gif

Date: 9/9/2005 7:31:32 AM
Author: Cave Keeper
'Guess it is so...

Those are the more distinct colors, but everything inbetween is out there too - including yellowish green, of course. And this is why I love beryl!
There is light green beryl that is not yellow, sure enough:

BGN-00007-l.jpg

Sometimes, one gets to be offered 'peach beryl' - I don't think this is a full fledged commercial name. The item looks light orange-pink and not too brownish. Google turned out an example I can share:

brl113.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2005 11:57:29 AM
Author: Richard M.

Heliodor (another controversy - whether Heliodor covers only yellowish green beryl and Golden Beryl is a separate gem), i

Oh me...more name games. Who''s trying to sell that idea? Heliodor is named after:

''He·li·os ( hē '' lē-ŏs '' ) n. Greek Mythology. The sun god, son of Hyperion, depicted as driving his chariot across the sky from east to west daily.''

We''re covered by a thick bank of fog this morning or I''d check the color personally but the last time I saw the sun it looked very, um, heliodor-like: all warm golden yellow. The greenish-yellow beryl I''ve seen, mainly from Ukraine but other locations as well, is very beautiful but not at all the same color as the sun.

Richard M.
Richard, that''s what I thought too (and intend to keep using myself), but check out this site:

http://www.minerals.net/gemstone/gemstone/beryl/beryl.htm

I saw a similar reference somewhere else too, but I can''t find it right now. It is amazing the name games that are being played for marketing purposes.

Ana, the site above references your peach beryl as well, but I question their coupling of peach and champagne. I have examples of the latter in my photo, but they are certainly not peachy.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2005 2:21:27 PM

Ana, the site above references your peach beryl as well, but I question their coupling of peach and champagne.
Same here - have not seen any that is not somewhat brownish: a bit like ''champagne'' diamonds - some with more pleasant overtones than others.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2005 2:40:48 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 9/9/2005 2:21:27 PM

Ana, the site above references your peach beryl as well, but I question their coupling of peach and champagne.
Same here - have not seen any that is not somewhat brownish: a bit like ''champagne'' diamonds - some with more pleasant overtones than others.
Ana, you''re also absolutely right about the broad spectrum of colors evidenced in beryl. BTW, the green stone you pictured is bright enough that it looks to me like a light emerald. I don''t think you get that brightness without chromium/vanadium. Maybe we could call it "mint" emerald and double the asking price.
2.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
(another controversy - whether Heliodor covers only yellowish green beryl and Golden Beryl is a separate gem)

I interpret the information at your link differently -- correct me if I''m wrong! My reading says the name Heliodor covers all yellow, yellow-green, orange and brown beryls. They seem to be upset at the terms "Yellow" or "Golden" beryl being used in place of Heliodor.

The only language that has something like a "bureau of standards" is French. The French Academy maintains the ''purity'' of the language and is the court of last resort on French words and their meanings. English is not nearly so autocratic. English dictionaries are compiled on the basis of usage. Words are added -- even silly and incorrect ones -- if they come into common use.

Gemologists and gem sellers could really use something along the lines of an Academy to set worldwide standards for gem names and terminology. Not long ago I received some stones with certificates from a CIBJO-endorsed gem lab in Asia. All the pink sapphires were I.D.''d as "ruby." And correctly, since the originating country makes no ''pink sapphire'' distinction. Until everyone everywhere can at least agree on something that basic, I see little hope for settling matters like "heliodor" and "golden beryl."

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Nice collection GemK. I like the hue of blue on the aquamarine.

Just for fun, how many of them do you know probable region/country of origin on?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Richard M, you''re right that the site I linked seems to be at least confused over the distinction, if any, between Heliodor and Golden Beryl. Their description is unclear whether they think people incorrectly call some Golden Beryls Heliodor or some non-golden Heliodor Golden. Compare this site: http://www.tradeshop.com/gems/beryl.html, which calls golden-colored Beryl Heliodor, with this site: http://www.minerals.net/mineral/silicate/cyclo/beryl/beryl.htm, which distinguishes the two. There also appears to be a disagreement over whether only yellowish-golden beryl is Heliodor (as I originally learned and "Helios" would suggest), or whether Heliodor covers a broader range of greenish-yellowish-brownish colors. I fully agree with you regarding both the "flexibility/malleability" of the English language and the benefits of standardization in gem descriptions, if we could ever get there.

Richard S., thanks. The aqua came from a Thai cutter/dealer, but could have originated fom anywhere as they acquire rough from around the world, although I know much acqua comes from Brazil. The only country of origin I''m virtually sure of is that the large emerald is African. The smaller was from a parcel of stones labelled South American (Columbia or Brazil, I don''t recall), but it is so crystalline that I''m suspicious of African origin as well. But, the price was very right - $60/ct for the pick of the parcel
3.gif
It''s a light-colored but very attractive stone. The others were acquired before I really had much experience with gems and little curiosity in or recognition of the importance of country of origin in gemology/gem collecting.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2005 10:05:55 AM
The others were acquired before I really had much experience with gems and little curiosity in or recognition of the importance of country of origin in gemology/gem collecting.

There''s a lot of debate about the importance of country of origin. Many think it''s an outmoded idea that should be dismissed entirely, with emphasis just being put on the stone''s individual beauty.

I find it fascinating though. In my mind, it adds to the allure of the stone.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I seem to rember reading some where that heliodor has a radioactive element to it. I this true?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/10/2005 4:35:37 PM
Author: colormyworld
I seem to rember reading some where that heliodor has a radioactive element to it. I this true?
I''ve never heard that, but hopefully some of the experts will respond.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yes, some heliodor can contain uranium, making it slightly radioactive.

Some gemologists have Geiger counters which can check the level of radioactivity. I don't think that it reaches a harmful level.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results