shape
carat
color
clarity

Settled on this Diamond, 1ct, E SI1, trip excellent, Opinions please!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you ask them for an Ideal-Scope image to make sure there's no light leakage?

This is another potentially better cut option, if the inclusion can be covered by a prong.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Can you ask them for an Ideal-Scope image to make sure there's no light leakage?

This is another potentially better cut option, if the inclusion can be covered by a prong.

Nice find, @Kim N - the grade-setting inclusions appear to be the greyish-white crystal and a small feather, both in the crown area.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello @nockanlee! Welcome to PS! We hope you will find helpful advice from those of us who are enthusiastic about diamonds and jewelry. We are here to help provide an opinion and educate you about your diamond selection. It is up to you to take our advice or not! We sincerely hope that our posts help you and you make the final choice! After reviewing the images on your diamond from JA, I see that you have chose a high colored E diamond. Is this a desired must have attribute or is it that the Recipent is colored sensitive? Reason I am asking is that you will pay more for a higher colored diamond than say a G colored or H. Some people choose a lower colored diamond to save $ And because one may not see visibly at 12” away the difference in the color Of the diamond.

Also there are parameters for selecting exceptional cut (cut does not mean the shape of a diamond) and this has to do with the angle of the crown and pavilion …
depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond ….
you can find out more from this previous post

I also reviewed the GIA cert and it seems that there are 2 feathers in this particular stone you chose. One at 3 o’clock and the other at 9. So do you know what type of inclusion this is?
I’m also wondering if your diamond can be safely set (it is an SI1, so I assuming the feathers are not reaching the surface so perhaps?) You should ask your jeweler if it can be set safely in the setting you choose.

Here’s more about feather inclusions: https://beyond4cs.com/clarity/what-is-a-feather-inclusion/

Really though my opinion is that I want a balance in the 4c’s of a diamond, but will always choose cut over color, carat, and clarity. I‘ve had a poorly cut diamond when I was first engaged and after an upgrade or two I really appreciate the CUT over everything else.

Hope this helps,
C4C

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@Karl_K does the 40.6/36.5/56 combo generally work well with 50% stars and 80% lowers?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K does the 40.6/36.5/56 combo generally work well with 50% stars and 80% lowers?
not at my computer so no pretty pictures
The answer is it can but GIA gross rounding is a huge problem.
Based on just the report and video I would say inconclusive based on available data.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
not at my computer so no pretty pictures
The answer is it can but GIA gross rounding is a huge problem.
Based on just the report and video I would say inconclusive based on available data.

Thank you...appreciate it!

nockanlee

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I have decided against this one as I am concern about the feathers on the edge. Also being UK based I don't really have access to their aftercare service which is a bit of a bummer. I think I will stick to blue nile or other UK branches (77diamonds or qualitydiamonds.co.uk)

I have since come across this one but the grading (VS2) is based on clouds that aren't shown, is this a red flag?

Diamond viewer
GIA cert

Total for this diamond is £8k

nockanlee

Rough_Rock
Hello @nockanlee! Welcome to PS! We hope you will find helpful advice from those of us who are enthusiastic about diamonds and jewelry. We are here to help provide an opinion and educate you about your diamond selection. It is up to you to take our advice or not! We sincerely hope that our posts help you and you make the final choice! After reviewing the images on your diamond from JA, I see that you have chose a high colored E diamond. Is this a desired must have attribute or is it that the Recipent is colored sensitive? Reason I am asking is that you will pay more for a higher colored diamond than say a G colored or H. Some people choose a lower colored diamond to save $ And because one may not see visibly at 12” away the difference in the color Of the diamond.

Also there are parameters for selecting exceptional cut (cut does not mean the shape of a diamond) and this has to do with the angle of the crown and pavilion …
depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond ….
you can find out more from this previous post

I also reviewed the GIA cert and it seems that there are 2 feathers in this particular stone you chose. One at 3 o’clock and the other at 9. So do you know what type of inclusion this is?
I’m also wondering if your diamond can be safely set (it is an SI1, so I assuming the feathers are not reaching the surface so perhaps?) You should ask your jeweler if it can be set safely in the setting you choose.

Here’s more about feather inclusions: https://beyond4cs.com/clarity/what-is-a-feather-inclusion/

Really though my opinion is that I want a balance in the 4c’s of a diamond, but will always choose cut over color, carat, and clarity. I‘ve had a poorly cut diamond when I was first engaged and after an upgrade or two I really appreciate the CUT over everything else.

Hope this helps,
C4C

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to answer a few questions:
1. regarding colour, I am not sure about my other half but I went in to various stores and find myself quite colour receptive!
2. I have passed on this diamond, unfortunately being in the UK, all the perks kind of gets lost on me! So will be sticking to Blue nile (they offer free returns/resizing for the UK) and local UK branches such as 77diamond or qualitydiamonds
3. Have looked for diamonds of idea proportions, would you say the depth & table % are more important or the angle of crown & pavilion? I ask as I have tried to find diamonds within that range but find that 1 is slightly off or the diamond goes beyond my budget!

Many thanks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have since come across this one but the grading (VS2) is based on clouds that aren't shown, is this a red flag?

Diamond viewer
GIA cert

Total for this diamond is £8k

Yes, I think a VS2 based on clouds not shown is risky.

3. Have looked for diamonds of idea proportions, would you say the depth & table % are more important or the angle of crown & pavilion? I ask as I have tried to find diamonds within that range but find that 1 is slightly off or the diamond goes beyond my budget!

All the proportions work together. You can run stones you're considering through the HCA, which will tell you whether the proportions work well together. I think you only get 3 free uses, though.

Here are some stones at Blue Nile you can check out.

nockanlee

Rough_Rock
Yes, I think a VS2 based on clouds not shown is risky.

All the proportions work together. You can run stones you're considering through the HCA, which will tell you whether the proportions work well together. I think you only get 3 free uses, though.

Here are some stones at Blue Nile you can check out.

Thanks, you are a star! have saved one of your suggestions down!

Whilst I have you, what is your opinion on this one:

Photo
GIA

crystal in the middle but put it through HCA and gives me an excellent rating

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, you are a star! have saved one of your suggestions down!

Whilst I have you, what is your opinion on this one:

Photo
GIA

crystal in the middle but put it through HCA and gives me an excellent rating

It looks like a beautiful example of a 60/60 style cut. This is a different flavor of diamond which will return more white light than colored light. I personally prefer a more balanced performance, but this diamond will be nice and bright and appear larger than others of the same weight. The crystal in the middle looks small enough that it may not be visible in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results