shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings - what''s the scoop?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I''m getting confused about settings. I''ve bought a really nice .9 ct diamond and I want a nice setting that highlights the stone.

If I''m buying a basic (simple, elegant) 4 prong, solitaire setting, is there any point in going custom? When I looked at the BlueNile website, the settings seemed much cheaper (less than half) than what I was being quoted (but my price includes mounting the stone, and I am in Canada). The ringmaker is working off a cast he already has (showed it to me). This is $200 more than a pre-made ring, which doesn''t seem too much of a markup. The pre-made ring didn''t look great to me in the mount area. It was quoted as $600 Cdn.

I guess having a ring custom-made intrinsically gives it value, even though it isn''t a one of a kind, never seen before design? Can anyone give me their opinions on this? The ringmaker is starting work today, so it may be a little late for 2nd thoughts. Now that I''ve finally bought a stone, I''m getting paranoid about the setting.

Z.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
pics?
21.gif

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I was just looking for something simple, like a Birks (a high-end Canadian jeweller) 4 prong, white gold setting:

834729.jpg

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Check out this mounting on www.whiteflash.com
http://whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Laureato--Knife-Edge-in-Pt950_668.htm

I think this one would says simple, yet elegant~!
appl.gif

whit.jpg

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
The pre-made ring didn't look great to me in the mount area.
Z.

----------------

Z,

Did you have a chance to see the custom setting made already, or was it just the cast? Have you seen other work by the ringmaker? Personally, if you have seen this makers work and like it, I think you are doing the right thing by having him make the setting specifically to fit the diamond you have purcased. Since your first post was a few days ago, I am also assuming you have gone ahead with it! Let us know how it is going.
2.gif

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your response icelady. I only saw the wax cast. I've seen one of his pieces on this board - kind of a Vatche X-prong copy. Looked very nice. He's the jeweller that USACerted works with. In combination with USACerted, they've gotten good reviews on this board.

I've already gone ahead using this jeweller. Like many, I'm just having 2nd thoughts. I'm wondering whether I should have taken the stone to Birks, since I like their settings. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out ok.

Z.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results