shape
carat
color
clarity

settings suggestions - need advice from the pros...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Hi all - I am in need of some setting help. I am still searching for a setting for a 2ct round. This isn''t an e-ring. I already have a 3 stone round (center 1.78ct sapphire w/ 2 .45 pt diamonds) and fear another will look to twinsie like - but I am still open to the idea. I like sparkle and think that limits me to rounds. I was thinking a 5 stone but fear I might dwarf the center w/ a set of (2)-5mm and (2)-3mm on either side of the 8.22 round. Not crazy about pave - kinda too trendy and I fear losing the stones. The goal is : WOW stunning piece, not to frilly and check out that center - not so overstated it''s obnoxious, but not so understated that it looks like I ran out of $ to finish the ring.

Any help would be appreciated -
Ice

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
What size ring do you wear? This could make a very big difference considering the sizes of stones you are looking into for the 5-stone ring.
I will run up a basic render for you when I have the size, so you can see if you would consider the center stone dwarfed with the proportions you mentioned, as well as a couple of alternate ratios.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought of getting shaped side stones (.5ct each or less), like warm yellow pears, trillions or ovals set east to west on the sides? Perhaps if you like modern, you could have a suspesion setting with tiny colored sidestones of equal size on the sides of it in a channel setting? Too E-ring? Does it have to be a ring? What about a honker of a necklace with pretty sidestone, or even just ALONE!
3.gif
9.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Here are two views to give you a relative idea of proportions you are looking at. I would definitely say that the center stone wouldn't be dwarfed by these size side stones, but fitting them all would require a very high setting depending on finger size.

The radial view has a curvature and average height appropriate for a size 7 ring to demonstrate this, exact ring size and setting type would affect this.

icelovr1.jpg

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Hey Griffin
Thanks so much for the rendering - my finger is between a 53/4 and a 6. High setting huh? - How high is high? - like are we talkin' goofy/bulky high? You're right, I don't think it looks dwarfed - Let me throw out a different question - what sides would look approp. w/o looking stupidly (is that a word) small?...or should I settle? for a 3 stone w/ .50-.60/side. Like I said my goal is WOW and yet elegant - not gaudy....I'm so confused - I kinda like these settings I found...I can only upload one - the next will follow this post...I'm so scared to make the wrong choice and have a ring that looks like crap.
confused.gif

setting4.gif

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
This is the other one

3setting1.jpg

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Hi Nicrez -
I thought of pears or trills but I like the brillance of rounds and don't know that I could get that fire/sparkle out of any other cut. Re: pendant - interesting idea...but wouldn't it kinda be a waste of a stone?...not to mention, I would always be sooo afraid of losing it - breaking the clasp - having someone rip it off my neck...I fear I would look like a mad woman always feeling my own neck...
eek.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
>Hey Griffin
>Thanks so much for the rendering - my finger is between a 53/4 and a 6. High setting huh? - How high is high? - like are we talkin' >goofy/bulky high? You're right, I don't think it looks dwarfed - Let me throw out a different question - what sides would look >approp. w/o looking stupidly (is that a word) small?...or should I settle? for a 3 stone w/ .50-.60/side.

With a size 5 3/4 - 6 finger I don't see the math working out for any reasonably traditional mounting. To give you an idea, an 8.22mm stone is exactly half the width of your finger already. To wrap 8mm of stones on either side of it would require raising the mounting something like 10mm to keep all the stones on the top of the ring... Pretty goofy high I'd say.
This is, of course, only if you arrange them in a line as in the sample photos you supplied.

There are other arrangements that would work to get them all to fit, but my suggestion would be to steer away from that much mass on such a small ring.
If you want to go for the visual weight without the mass, strongly colored side stones, and possibly a different shape of side stone, would use the limited real estate to speak as strongly if not more so than the four large white rounds would.

You mentioned a sapphire e-ring with diamond sides. How about doing the opposite number with this one? They would definitely tie together without that "twinsie" problem you mentioned.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I surely like the second line up in Griffin's photo !

The ring profile below shows yet another gimmick to fit huge rocks to small fingers (such as mine). The stone in the sample below is nearing 6 cts with the sides about 7mm long each - the total 'length' of the stones lined up fat would have been 24mm... The picture comes from Diamondsbylauren (* hoping they do not mind the citation).

The red arrow shows a recess in the band allowing the neighboring finger align naturally under the stone. The result is quite "barely there" - very comfortable. This modification of the ring's outline allowed for the "head" of the ring (= max length of head across the stones) to be 30% longer than the inner diameter of the ring.

TooBig.JPG

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
I have done a number of similarly profiled rings for large and odd shaped stones, most recently for three large emerald cuts. These work very well and can turn the height of the setting into a design feature with decorative gallery work under the stones.
Though possible, I have never done one of these for a five stone, but I think in any case 28mm of total stone width would still be a bit far outside the envelope.
I could work this direction and see how far I get if you like this basic concept. No guarantees I can make it work, but then again I don't learn anything working inside my comfort threshold either, so why not?

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Griff - Whoa 10mm high! - that's higher than my main stone is wide...What about something like this picture. The pic Val posted looks very pretty - focuses the eye on the center, by still looks like a whole lotta rock.

Thanks Val - nice shot - does Lauren have a site?

settings14.jpg

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Never mind Val - found it...very nice - have you (or anyone else here) done business w/ them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results