shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings and Price ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Hello colored gem gals!

I have never purchased a colored gemstone for myself, but my mom always wears a ton (emeralds, tanzanite, ruby, etc).

I''m thinking about purchasing a green amethyst RHR for myself and was wondering about some costs and also setting ideas.

I would like it to be around 2-3 carats, preferably cushion cut (or another fancy cut). I also like split shanks and delicate halos (but these are not required). I also want it to be a medium-soft green, not dark. At some point I would also like to have matching drop earrings made.

Any idea how much something like this would cost? Any picture ideas for me to look at? I''m totally inept at purchasing any gemstone and love advice (and love looking at pictures!) I don''t know how soon a purchase will be made, I''m just considering some options now. TIA
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would think the stone will be pretty cheap - there is actually no such thing as green amethyst in nature, it''s made by heat-treating poor quality normal amethyst.

The setting cost will depend on whether you want to go custom or stock. You can check out stock settings on the Stuller website, but you won''t find prices as they''re trade only.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Ok, well now after browsing some other PS threads- I see that there really isn't a "green" amethyst. So I guess now I should be looking for a peridot or tourmaline? Really any gemstone medium-light greenish would work. I just would like some ideas on settings and where to find one!

Thanks!

ETA: Pandora, we must have been posting at the same time!
1.gif

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Similar to this color...

I would also be OK with an EC...

green_amethyst2342.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would go with a tourmaline or a mint merelani garnet.

Peridot is quite fragile - I've chipped a few. You can set them as rings and some people here have amazing ones, but personally I'd deem it a pendant stone.

There's no reason not to have a 'green' amethyst - also known as praisolite - after all, they are green and they are quartz, but I think it's a good thing if people are aware what it is - especially so they don't end up paying more than they should!

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Pandora!!

Anyone have any setting ideas? Again, I like micropave, halos, and split shanks. My future ER will be all three- so maybe not have all 3 for this. Maybe a micropave one or the other :)

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 9:02:27 PM
Author: Evelina
Check the following link.
Fits the description of the ring you are looking for very well.
http://www.belljewels.com/Green_Amethyst-Natural_Green_Amethyst_Diamond_Ring.html
Thanks Evelina, that ring is beautiful! I think I should do either a split shank OR a halo and not both- I''m scared it will look too much like my future Ering with both! Thank you soooo much though, it is beautiful and I will think on it!
1.gif

Any other ideas for me?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results