shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting vs. Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend has found a setting she really likes at a local jeweler but I don''t like their selection (or pricing) of diamonds and want to do some more searching. Ideally, I would have them hold the setting and set my diamond once I find the right stone.

I''m leaning towards purchasing the setting and waiting until I find the right diamond and was wondering if there is any "etiquette" on doing this? Will the jeweler be less flexible on the price of setting if I don''t purchase both the diamond and setting from them? I would guess this is fairly common practice but wanted to get some feedback.

TIA!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Can you please describe the ring your girlfriend likes? That will help people to give you an advise
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
pricing can vary. it is possible for the jeweler to give you a better deal when purchasing the stone and setting from them. they''d be making more of a profit and probably able to go down a bit. You might also want to make sure your jeweler would be willing to set a stone not purchased from them into the setting. Some will for a fee, just make sure they will take responsibility for the stone if it''s damaged. other jewelers won''t set stones not purchased from them at all. you might also think about purchasing the setting and shipping it to the vendor whom you by your stone, if it possible for them to easily set into the ring head. Some settings do have to be made with the stone present or the accuate dementions of the stone. anyway, I hope that helps and I didn''t just confuse you more
37.gif

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
I would describe the ring as an "antique" look. It''s actually designed by Stardust (I looked for a picture on their website but couldn''t find it.) Pave setting, with "X" prong. THere are pave set diamonds along the sides as well as the face.

Similar to this, but not exactly:
http://wherethediamondsare.com/details.html?item=ringsEngagementDiamondSettings&tabs=1&referenceNumber=418

Quite honestly, we''ve done a lot of shopping together but apart from knowing she likes the antique look with pave set diamonds, I can''t pick out what she does and doesn''t like(she''s pretty particular). Given it''s a major purchase, I am leaning towards picking out a setting I know she likes.

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
Yes, very similar if not exact. I thought I remembered the entire "X" being covered in diamonds, with no plain platinum. I could have been mistaken. Interstingly enough, I tried to match the stock number on Stardust''s site to the one from the jeweler but they didn''t match. Possible the jeweler gave me their internal stock number.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Xs are covered with diamonds, look at the side view.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I''d first choose the stone. Then I''d look at the diamond vendor to see if they have a similar setting, and it is likely they would since that setting style is fairly common. It is easiest to get the diamond vendor to set the stone since they would still be insuring the stone prior to your receiving it. But even if I were buying a setting locally (which I did), they can order the setting for you at any time with the correct head to fit your stone. I would not particularly care about getting the setting on display because it may or may not have exactly the right head for your stone. But regardless, I wouldn''t make any commitment to a setting until the stone is purchased.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Designers like Tacori (my e-ring setting) advise having the stone first since each ring is made per order. That way the head on my ring was made EXACTLY to fit my stone. Since she likes antique/pave (which I think are more delicate to work with) I would not want to worry about a jeweler later trying to fit a stone that is too large/too smaller/too wide/too thin...ex...

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your input.

Pricescope: If I was more adept at photoshopping pictures, I''d put an arrow on the piece I thought looked different. It may just be my bad memory as well, which is the most likely scenario.

Going to focus my efforts on the diamond first, then worry about the setting. At least I know which one she would like so hopefully smooth(er) sailing once I get the center stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results