shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting the Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
Once you have purchased a diamond, is it generally set in the setting while you wait and in your full view?

How about sizing the ring, same questions.

Thanks.
wavey.gif

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Well, you should not have to worry if you are going to a reputable jeweler. My jeweler took note of the ct wt, color, clarity and ran a sarin report. We both also looked at the diamond under the microscope. You should be familiar with your diamond to know where the inclusions are and know if your diamond has any inscriptions to identify it.

After that was said and done, I left my diamond with my jeweler while the diamond was set.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
is it generally set in the setting while you wait
and in your full view?
-----------

Generally, no. Jewelers usually work on many pieces at one time, taking each through each phase of the process all at once, and finishing them all together.

To do the entire process on one piece only interrupts the integrated process on all the pieces, and is not the norm.

In addition to this, many jewelers don't like people looking over their shoulders. It makes some of them nervous, while others get agitated because they think their integrity is being questioned. After all, the reason most people are watching is because they want to make sure the jeweler doesn't steal their diamond. The implication of being considered a possible thief is aggravating for some.

In order to get a while-you-wait setting job done, you will have to specifically request it. Some jewelers don't mind doing it all. Many will charge an extra premium for while-you-wait-and-watch service.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Generally, jewelers are uncomfortable having someone standing over their shoulder watching them and answering dumb questions. Most jewelers work in an area that is not visited by people that do not belong there. I have seen jewelers working behind glass in plain sight of everyone in the mall, but this is rare.
Usually, you purchase a diamond and pick out the ring. The salesperson usually asks you if you can return in a couple of hours and the ring will be ready. If they are not busy, they may even set it while you wait.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results