shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting the aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So I am working with HeartofWater from Etsy to finally make my stacker rings and set my aqua. The stackers I have figured out. I thought I had the aqua figured out until she threw something else into the mix. I am stuck, hopefully it will come to me, but I would love opinions to help me out.

Setting #1 Pillbox which I know many of you have and love

Setting #2 Mandalay except she would make the head a bezel instead of those prongs, which I hope will protect my stone and lower the profile a little bit.

Here is the pic of the aqua. Not my favorite stone, but I really should set it because when I got it I promised I would. I think it will be a fun ring to wear when going out at night.

I am excited to be finally getting these stones set, the have been sitting in a box way too long.

IMG_0724_3.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
How big is the aqua? I''m thinking the pillbox if it is a smaller stone, but the mandalay would be very cool for a bigger rock.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
It''s 8x10, I am thinking that two. I usually buy smaller stones, so I will have other opportunities for the pillbox. This ring is meant to be one of my few "showy" pieces. I guess I am thinking cocktail ring if that makes sense?

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
I would go with #1, was that the one you originally wanted to go with?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I say get an ebay diamond/white gold setting.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the opinions :)

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
The mandalay is beautiful! I would prefer the pilbox on a round stone, so I would say go for the Mandalay.. and for some reason, I think it was a book I came across years ago, Mandalay sounds so romantic!

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the Mandalay (isn t it the house in Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier? I loved that book!). It looks really unique.... Would you do it in yellow gold or silver? I always thought aquas look better in silver, but I saw an aqua set in yellow gold posted on here a while ago and it was totally beautiful. Anyways, loverly stone!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want a nice cocktail ring, then I would say the Mandalay. I think it would look good in silver or white gold but that is just my opinion. Let us know what you decide!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with a mandalay, cause the stone is not only quite large, but it''s also an oval, and I think the tiny shank of a pillbox could end up looking a little awkward on such a stone. In other words, I see more visual balance of shapes and sizes with a mandalay (also because the stone feels light an airy, just like the setting). But it''s your taste and preference that matters so go with whatever feels right and will get worn and enjoyed.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I have the pillbox with exactly the same size spinel as your aqua is. So I''m a bit biased when I suggest the pillbox. Somehow the size works well, but I have two golden bands on each side of the pillbox, so that gives balance. Without them, I think the ring might slide around on my finger a bit, since the ring is really dainty compared to the size of the stone. Hoping this info may add to helping you make your decision
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2009 3:21:21 AM
Author: ma re
I''d go with a mandalay, cause the stone is not only quite large, but it''s also an oval, and I think the tiny shank of a pillbox could end up looking a little awkward on such a stone. In other words, I see more visual balance of shapes and sizes with a mandalay (also because the stone feels light an airy, just like the setting). But it''s your taste and preference that matters so go with whatever feels right and will get worn and enjoyed.

Ditto Mr. ma re! I really like the mandalay, Ltl.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2009 8:51:02 AM
Author: icekid

Date: 6/28/2009 3:21:21 AM
Author: ma re

Ditto Mr. ma re! I really like the mandalay, Ltl.
Another ditto to that. I like the open airy feeling, expecially if it was lowered as she said she''d do.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love the mandalay! and your idea of bezeling it. that is such a beautiful design.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone,

I decided to go with the Mandalay in silver. She confirmed that the bezel would lower the profile a bit, and she will try to lower the setting a little more than that if my stone will allow it.

Now I''ve got all the stones packaged, I am just going to nervous for a week while they are on their way!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I really like the mandalay setting. It''s very unique.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be very pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that the stone will arrive safely.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, you will all have to keep me calm for the next two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results