carat
color
clarity

Setting suggestions for my Asscher

asscherwoman

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Today we put a hold on this sparkly asscher from Alex Park:

I am going to be having it set in 18k yellow gold and wanted to ask if you thought double claw prongs or something like this setting design might be a better option:
I am wanting a very secure setting so am leaning towards more prongs but am hoping to avoid covering the stone with a bezel.

Thank you for your suggestions! I’m excited to hold it in my hands :)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there. Congrats on getting that stone from Alex. He has some very nice lab stones but he's moving away from step-cuts :cry2:

My Asscher is currently with my jeweller and we're finalising a design later this month. I recommend trawling Instagram and every website possible to find the right setting. Your stone is bigger than mine so I think a double-claw will look gorgeous, however the example you gave has very wide gaps between the claws which isn't to my liking but you might like it? Your stone I think has a smaller corner edge so the claws may end up closer anyway?

Maybe consider doing the claws in white gold with yellow gold band? Depends on whether you mind mixed metals.

My stone is smaller so I'm most likely going with single claw and I like to keep the corners as exposed as possible but again, my preference.

It's tempting to bezel an Asscher but you lose a lot of sparkle I'm afraid!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bar prongs on each of the corners/shoulders as seen in this Aqua ring?

DK :))

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tab prongs for sure! They emphasise the lovely shape and are very secure without impacting the light performance

asscherwoman

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody for all the helpful suggestions! When I saw that Alex would not have another run of these step cuts I knew I had to jump on it. We were planning to buy a little closer to March but I’m grateful my boyfriend said yes to this stone.

@monipod, I am thinking you’re right since the stone in the setting has a different shape. Your ring and stone sound gorgeous - would love to see it! I love step cuts

I think double claw prongs like @maryjane04 linked may be a really good option! I’m so impressed with Alex’s settings too.

@dk168 and @foxinsox - I love the tab prongs, thank you for suggesting these! I hadn’t thought of it as an option so I’m going to ask him to mock up these along with the claw prongs.

Thanks everyone - very excited now to start the design process!

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Today we put a hold on this sparkly asscher from Alex Park:

I am going to be having it set in 18k yellow gold and wanted to ask if you thought double claw prongs or something like this setting design might be a better option:
I am wanting a very secure setting so am leaning towards more prongs but am hoping to avoid covering the stone with a bezel.

Thank you for your suggestions! I’m excited to hold it in my hands :)

This setting sells me on a asscher.. I’ve always decided against because I never love the settings but this one is stunning .. did he make that setting??

asscherwoman

Rough_Rock
This setting sells me on a asscher.. I’ve always decided against because I never love the settings but this one is stunning .. did he make that setting??

Yes! That was a 3.14 asscher he set for a customer a little while back. I am going to get closer set claws since my stones corners are different but I LOVE that setting too!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a nice price for that size! Congrats on scoring that stone!!

I personally don’t think asschers should be bezeled, so I agree with you on that. I do like bezels, but I think with asschers, light play is so fascinating that I wouldn’t want to diminish that in any way.

My setting is very open, so I do check the prongs often, but CVB made it so it’s super well designed and commissioned and her bench is excellent. We also set it on the lower side, so I feel like it is super secure. I hope so anyway. It’s been several years and I have had no issues with the setting.

I really like the setting you chose. Asschers get FILTHY fast and often, so I do think a solitaire where you can easily access the pavilion is best.

asscherwoman

Rough_Rock
That is a nice price for that size! Congrats on scoring that stone!!

I personally don’t think asschers should be bezeled, so I agree with you on that. I do like bezels, but I think with asschers, light play is so fascinating that I wouldn’t want to diminish that in any way.

My setting is very open, so I do check the prongs often, but CVB made it so it’s super well designed and commissioned and her bench is excellent. We also set it on the lower side, so I feel like it is super secure. I hope so anyway. It’s been several years and I have had no issues with the setting.

I really like the setting you chose. Asschers get FILTHY fast and often, so I do think a solitaire where you can easily access the pavilion is best.

Thank you, @whitewave! I am pumped to see it in it’s setting. Your ring sounds gorgeous! I’m thinking that I will not wear the ring when working out or cleaning, so I will hope that will help with security.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @whitewave! I am pumped to see it in it’s setting. Your ring sounds gorgeous! I’m thinking that I will not wear the ring when working out or cleaning, so I will hope that will help with security.

Yes, I take mine off all the time

asscherwoman

Rough_Rock
Hi All! Thanks so much for the advice. Wanted to share some sneak peeks I just received as I am just over the moon!! She is even more gorgeous than I imagined A4212D8B-A6B3-4942-A239-78E88F5746BC.png that we ended up going with double claws :) I can’t wait to receive her when the time comes!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That stone is crazy :love: I love that the setting just lets it shine!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results