shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ungefar

Rough_Rock
What are jewelers charging to set a diamond in a ring mounting these days? Thanks for your time.
confused.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on the jeweler and the size of the stone being set... Whether you are buying a ring from the jeweler - or asking them to set the diamond in a ring you provide. Assuming the latter scenario, be sure that the head in the ring is the right size for the stone you want set... That brings up another point regarding cost - how is the diamond being set? In prongs? A bezel? Channel set?

Many jewelers will not set a diamond they haven't sold "for liability reasons" but we think that "ploy" is more of an "excuse" for their wanting to "punish you" for buying a diamond from somebody else... After all, our jewelers block policy provides coverage for the jewelry repairs and setting services we provide and imagine that theirs does as well
2.gif

Okay, so setting a one carat diamond in a platinum six prong solitaire $45.00 - 55.00 but one of our clients just paid $345.00 to have a diamond set on the East Coast! We practically fell all over ourselves! If only our client had consulted with us on that one first! By the way, we're quoting the rate at a "tradeshop" - somebody that provides jewelry services to the trade, odds are that you can find one in your area.

*Monique

Rough_Rock
What if you are buying the setting only, and already have the diamond (bought online)?

Should the jeweler set the stone at no charge, or will they set it at a nominal fee? How much is reasonable? The setting purchased is a Scott Kay with a 4 prong setting.

Thanks.

Riprock

Rough_Rock
For what it's worth, this last week I shopped around local jewelers to see who could set the diamond I'm soon to receive.

The simple Tiffany 14k with white gold 6 prong is going to cost me about $95 with a $15 setting fee for about $110 total from a jeweler with an excellent reputation.

Wichita, KS

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wasnt charged at all for having my loose stone set into the ring I ordered from a B&M store here locally.
1.gif
I had asked the cost of this, & the staff seemed genuinely perplexed saying since I purchased the ring from them, they would provide the service free of charge. Now I see how fortunate I was to have gone with this company for my ring.
10.gif
And before we left, the salesman handed me a jar of jewelry cleaner & said that I shouldnt forget this if I'm too keep my diamond clean. Again, it was free of charge.

Judy
:)

canadianice

Rough_Rock
CCUHEARTNURSE -

You live in Toronto, right?

Any recommended local jewellers for doing custom platinum work and setting a stone?

I just received my SuperbCert... extraordinarily happy.
Cheers

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi There,
I went to Frank Damiani Jewelers in Woodbridge to order my SK ring (they are an authorized retailer for them). I loved the ring as is & since I didnt want to deal with the hassle of getting it custom done, we just ordered it. The band will be custom as I dont like the one SK has for my ring. I have 2 places I will go to for that, either the guy that set my stone or Platinum Unlimited which is a large platinum facility in Richmond Hill. The guy that set my stone will be a lot cheaper to deal with than PU. And to tell you the truth, the guy (Harry) showed me some of his peices he was working on & they were nice looking, polished well, & even around etc. I'm leaning towards him just for the personal service he can provide. He has a 4 man office set up. I think his company is called Prestige Mfg. I would have to call Damiani to find out exactly. I understand Canadianice how scary & apprehensive you can get to have something done custom, hence the reason to buy a ring as is. You might want to check out SK's website cause Damiani has good prices.

Judy
:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results