shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting size question 5x7 or 6x8 for a 4x8?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I bought a lovely scissor-topped emerald-cut peridot from Dan Stair for my mother for her birthday in August. However, the 4.86 x 7.79 size has me stumped since stock sizes are 5x7 or 6x8. I asked for a custom quote from Daniel M for a bezel or half bezel setting, but I'm wondering if a stock setting size could work. She doesn't want pavé or a halo, just something very simple and low to her finger, something like this: http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/1999

Any ideas, tips, etc.?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Well since that is a bezel setting you don't have a whole lot of wiggle room. I would probably go custom, but that is just me.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,
First off, I just have to tell you... I love peridot. If you purchased the peridot I'm thinking of, the one I saw on Dan's website back in August, that is one gorgeous stone!! I'm sure your mom will love it!

I think, as far as settings go, you'll probably have to have a jeweler customize it a bit. I'm not sure if you have a particular jeweler in mind, but many of the vendors online can adjust the head of the setting to accomodate your stone, if you purchase the setting from them. They may ask that you send the stone to them for the actual setting, though. It might take less time (if time is an issue) than going the total custom route.

Good luck!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Sarah and Coco! I think custom is the way to go, since she's pretty particular about the setting. And, yes, Coco, it's probably the peridot you saw posted in August. My mom has seen the stone and likes it, and her other peridot ring is only 10k gold and not a great cut. I'm excited for her to have something really nice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably something around 5x7 will fit but as she is interested in a bezel setting, it's safest to have it custom. Also, you might have to shop around for a bench/jeweller who is willing to bezel set a peridot. Not many are willing to risk putting such stress (hammering metal down on the stone) on a peridot. I've had one jeweller who was perfectly comfortable doing so but most would not.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I do not doubt Chrono a bit but find it surprising that it is difficult to find a jeweler that will bezel set Peridot. It is an easy stone to work with compared to most. We routinely bezel set Sphene and Kyanite. Of course, any stone can be damaged in any setting by the right hammer. Best regards, Lee

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lee,
You must be in a place where the benchpeople are skilled. When I am, nobody knows what's a sphene or a kyanite, much less will dare to set them. :bigsmile:

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono,
Well, this is Thailand, the Land of Smiles. It is another world compared to the states. About as far away as one can get from there and still be on the same planet. Gentle natured folks don't get feathers ruffled when they need to bezel set a soft stone, they just slow down a little more.
Everything here is either old school or ultra high tech. Very little in between. I like the old school the best. Best regards, Lee

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In answer to your question, most settings will have a tolerance of about .5mm each way. Any bigger and you may see metal around the stone or an airline and the ring may not look finished.

For a bezel set you need much more accuracy and you should reduce the .5mm to about .2mm or so.

Prong set is better if you are trying to not go custom as the stone can be wiggled around more!

Your stone is right in the middle of two calibrated sizes and some settings have a greater tolerance than others in terms of wiggle room. The other more important thing for you to think about is the stone's depth. Depending on that, it could sit quite low or high.

Most of the Ebay vendors you'll see discussed on this forum can custom adjust their settings to suit your stone and there's normally a small fee involved in doing so (non-refundable if the setting isn't suitable and you need to return).

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I just had my peridot bezel set and I just posted pics today. I worked with Julia Kay Taylor (Etsy vendor) who I will highly recommend after working with her on this project. She does have a waiting period of at least several months though, I'm not sure how soon you want to have it set...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gary-braun-asscher-peridot-in-a-jkt-double-bezel.166227/#post-3026386#p3026386']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gary-braun-asscher-peridot-in-a-jkt-double-bezel.166227/#post-3026386#p3026386[/URL]

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results