shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting question

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
So I’m not sure if this is the correct forum to ask. I have a few colored stones that I want to set. I have been obsessively looking at every imaginable setting. Found a setting I love that would be perfect for one of my stones. Is it bad etiquette to ask the vendor (Daniel M) to reproduce the ring? I saw the setting in his sold section and also on here. It was custom. I’m just not sure if someone would consider it flattering or if they would consider it stealing their design.

Krikawa

Rough_Rock
Trade
It is definitely not bad etiquette to ask a vendor to reproduce a ring that they made. If they are the ones that made the ring, they most likely have the rights to make it again. That depends upon what agreement they made with the customer for the original ring. Most custom jewelers retain the rights to the designs they create. The jeweler will be flattered, not annoyed.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's fine. If you look back through his sold section you'll see that a lot of the times after he does a design once, it'll pop up again and again. As well, there are really only so many variations on a basic ring design. Unless it's really super out-there, you're likely stepping on no one's toes. Unless they are extremely sensitive.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to be sure. I know many people have the same ring or design or that there are many common elements to the design. And I know Daniel M does many variations of his work. I just know people who get very possessive of their stuff (not jewelry) and refuse to share details in case someone wants to copy them. Everything from recipes to paint color.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you ask? :naughty:

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Working on it. Everyone in my house is sick except me. Hope to send off the inquiry tonight.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so incredibly considerate. I'm sure Daniel M will be able to answer your questions and I'm guessing it will not be an issue to have either an exact copy (if it is DM's creation) or tweak it to suit your taste.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results