shape
carat
color
clarity

setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mocha

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I''m not engaged yet - still in the searching and learning stages. Up until last week I had my heart set on a princess centre in a Diana Classic setting. After reading many posts on the princess subject (this shape can chip easily and how when comparing a princess and round of the same weight, the round will look bigger) I decided that I would rather have a round diamond that was really sparkly, as opposed to a princess that wouldn''t sparkle as much. Recently, I fell in love with a platinum Scott Kay setting - similar to the dvatche truffle setting - that I saw on their website. My question is this: if I go to the jewellery store in my area and this particular setting is too expensive in platinum, could I ask them to "copy" it in 18wg or perhaps even 14wg depending on my bf''s budget. I know nothing about this. Are jewellers allowed to copy designer settings? Are they trademarked or something? I just want to get the general idea about this sort of thing so I don''t look stupid going in and asking them to do it if it is wrong. Any comments?
confused.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 11/19/2003 11:10:23 AM Mocha wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm not engaged yet - still in the searching and learning stages. Up until last week I had my heart set on a princess centre in a Diana Classic setting. After reading many posts on the princess subject (this shape can chip easily and how when comparing a princess and round of the same weight, the round will look bigger) I decided that I would rather have a round diamond that was really sparkly, as opposed to a princess that wouldn't sparkle as much. Recently, I fell in love with a platinum Scott Kay setting - similar to the dvatche truffle setting - that I saw on their website. My question is this: if I go to the jewellery store in my area and this particular setting is too expensive in platinum, could I ask them to 'copy' it in 18wg or perhaps even 14wg depending on my bf's budget. I know nothing about this. Are jewellers allowed to copy designer settings? Are they trademarked or something? I just want to get the general idea about this sort of thing so I don't look stupid going in and asking them to do it if it is wrong. Any comments?
confused.gif

----------------

First I would prioritize what budget you have to work with....

How far are you willing to stretch your dollar to maximize cut...I top cut contendor will cost you a premium because of the time and exacting standards put into faceting the diamond...(The results are phenominal though)

Platinum can be expensive whether your purchasing a pre-fabricated setting or a custom made platinum setting. Look to pay in the upwards of $1000.00 to get you started....

You will save yourself a couple hundred dollars for the basic model of the same style if you elect to choose white gold...

There are many goldsmiths who can produce "like models" of your favorite style (Tiffany's for instance) at a competetive price without the high dollar retail mark-up that the name brands command.

You will have the look of the designer style you cherish...If you are comfortable not sporting the name then it is definitely the way to go....

Whatever you decide I think you can stretch your dollars by choosing white gold for the setting...

You can get a reasonably priceed stone priced outside the AGS 0 cut range that will yield excellent results...

Prioritize what color and clarity you are interested in...

Personally I think your best bet would be to go with g-h colors and get a good eye-clean si-1 certified stone which falls into the AGS 1 cut grade.

You are still getting a superior cut which will maximize how the stone faces up color wise, and you will be paying a slight premium for the higher cut grade (not top of the line sepremo, but a good AGS 1 will knock your socks off compared to the crap cuts...)

With all these things in mind I think you can stretch your budget to compliment a well rounded top-quality cut with a admirable color and clarity rating...

Hope this helps

wavey.gif

Mocha

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much Colored Gemstone Nut, that was great advice. I will definitely look into having that designer setting done in 18k white gold. I just love the setting, I don't care if the designer's name is on the inside or not. No one would see it anyway! Saving a couple hundred dollars and getting a better stone seems to be the smartest way to go.
About the stone, I am hesitant to purchase it in a jewellery store as I am worried about getting ripped off (I've heard they mark up their stones 100% or more?). I am in Canada and have found a site for e-diamonds with prices listed in CND funds which is important to me. They do have a refund policy but the certificates that come with the stone are "Gem Scan" Is this a reputable lab? I know they are Canada-wide.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results