shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting question - weakened prongs and size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Vynyaca

Rough_Rock
I wasn''t sure whether to ask this in jewelry pieces or this forum but since this is the busier of the two I''ll try my luck here.

We''ve purchased the Scott Kay setting online for what will most likely be a 1.19 carat diamond, aprox 6.91mm in diameter. I have posted a picture below. We were told that it would fit up to a 1.25 carat. My questions are as follows;

1) Solomon Brothers shipped the setting to us with the cz center still set. I''ve heard that resetting can weaken the prongs. When I asked the customer serv. person about this she said Scott Kay always sends his rings with the cz center, they reset them all the time and they''ve never had any problems. Is this true of Scott Kay? The prongs are platinum. Do you think it will be a problem?

2) I''m also worried that the diamond might be too big for the setting. She said it goes up to 1.25 ct which I believe is 7mm? Is anyone out there familiar with this setting? Do you think it will be okay?

3) We''re having the loose diamond appraised at the end of this week. If all goes well, we plan on sending the setting back with the diamond and having the diamond vendor set it for us for a nominal fee. I''m nervous about having the diamond take two trips but I trust the vendor more than a jeweler in my area who has no vested interest in either the diamond or the setting. Do you think this is a better course of action even though it will get shipped clear across the country twice?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
1.gif

Vynyaca

Rough_Rock
Couldn't attach a picture but here is the link;

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jPics/61714.JPG

It's the 2mm ladies Scott Kay solitaire with tapered knife edge band and double prong head.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Vynyaca:

1. Most designers do not ship out empty settings. Vatche is another designer who sets a CZ into all settings that are shipped out. They actually prefer to set the diamond in house (at no extra charge) to insure that the prong work is perfect. WIth regard to the Scott Kay setting, there should be no problem with the prongs on condition that the jeweler knows what he is doing.
2. Most setting that are made to hold a 1 carat round diamond will hold up to a 1.30+ with no problem. Fancy shapes are a different story of course
1.gif

3. You wrote "I'm nervous about having the diamond take two trips but I trust the vendor more than a jeweler in my area who has no vested interest in either the diamond or the setting. Do you think this is a better course of action even though it will get shipped clear across the country twice?"

As long as you ship US registered, insured mail you should have no problem with the package. It does take a few days longer but it is the safest form of shipment for the private consumer. I would imagine that is is better to have the vendor set the diamond as he/she should guarantee the diamond during the setting process. A company that has no vested interest in any part of the ring may not agree to do that. In addition, many jewelry stores do not have setters on the premises and would send it our anyway. We have customers send back diamonds to be set in our settings all the time
21.gif

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Vynyaca

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the info, LesleyH. You certainly put my mind at ease.
1.gif

Only a few more days now until I get to see the diamond!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds exciting! I'm glad you feel better. Lesley offered up some great points and I agree about the reg/ins. mail being the safest. It's what I was always told also, except like she said, it does take a little while longer. It's busy being locked up for safety at every step of the way.
1.gif

Please do post pictures when you get a chance.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Just one comment to add to the wonderful info above. Be sure to contact the vendor and let them know your ring and diamond are coming. Get a Return Authorization number if needed so they be sure your package is properly directed upon arrival. That will help speed the process and reduce the risk that your package is lost "in house" with the vendor.
1.gif

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
BTW, nice choice of setting - a bit unique with the double prongs. Like it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results