shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting question: Vatche?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phillystudent

Rough_Rock
I put a diamond on reserve at GoodoldGold today-- I''ll post for opinions when I the the confirmation email linking to it. While at the store, I liked what I saw of the Vatche settings.

specifically,

style #109, #135, #120, and #308

The first three are solitare with channel diamonds, and the last is a three stone setting.

I haven''t researched settings nearly as much as diamonds, so while I''m quite happy with these settings, I''m curious if I''m going doing an injustice to my engagement ring search by not looking around more. I''m not set on designer settings either, although I do like these.

I''ll have to make a trip to Jeweler''s row in Philly this week to see what else is around, but I need to act on this quickly if I want to get the ring in a month. It is more convenient to have it all done with GoodOldGold too, but that''s only a small consideration here.

Thanks for opinions and advice.

Oh, to those suggesting a simple setting in my previous post, I was able to bring some help along who guided my decisions some and I''m very confident that any of the above settings would hit the mark. They are still rather simple though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vatche settings are very nice quality and it would be hard to go wrong. Seriously, there are some rings that I wouldn''t take the chance on, but these are pleasing to most people''s taste. The finish on the rings is very nice, too. And it really is easier to just have GOG set the stone for you.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with DS. vatche makes a very nice quality ring and I thinik it would be easier to just get a setting from GOG if they have what you''re after.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own a D''Vatche, and it''s a nice, quality ring. So no, I wouldn''t say you were doing your diamond an injustice to set it in one.

However, I would get out to see as many settings as you can, preferably from designers GOG carries. I think you should make sure you''ve covered all your bases, just so you don''t end up with any regrets!

phillystudent

Rough_Rock
Excellent! Thanks guys. I''ll try and get out in the philadelphia area to check out a few settings early this week.

phillystudent

Rough_Rock
I did some more searching last night(and nearly got caught!!). I noticed that precision set (http://www.precisionset.com/) has some very nice and similar settings to those that I liked from Vatche. Those who replied before liked Vatche, how does precision set compare? I''m interested in models 7970, 7730,7986,7985,7502. I''d link to them but I don''t think I can.

I still want to go looking around philly stores to see what else is out there, but these are two designers that I like that GOG carries. Unless I find something much nicer, I''d like to do the entire package with them for the sake of ease and piece of mind.

I''m interested in platinum, but not opposed to white gold(only because my gf says she wants platinum). Since I got a great deal on what I think is a killer stone for less than I was prepared to pay for the diamond, I can easily afford to go platinum. Again, I''ll ask for advice on this stone once I get the link to it as I''ve only reserved it right now.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
philly, precisionset makes a very nice quality setting as well. I really don''t think you could go wrong choosing a ring from either company.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never seen any PS in person, but I''ve looked at their settings before online and definitely liked the look of them/their quality.

I looked through the ones you listed, although I could not find 7986, went through twice.
33.gif

My thoughts are, I liked 7985 best out of these (but I''m a square lover, is she?) Then 7970. I would like to see a profile of 7730, I think more women might tend to pick this one, perhaps. 7502 is very pretty, but totally different. Many women have a very distinct preference as to whether they like 3 stones or not. If you''re not sure, I might pass on this one.

Now, having given my very humble review, because it''s all personal preference, if I were to pick something along the lines of 7070, 7985, I''d go with 7977. I just LOVE that setting, and the tapered shank at the head will help make the stone "pop", which most women want/love.
2.gif

Just my .02.
5.gif

phillystudent

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I just double checked and can''t find the 7986 either. It must have been there because I copied it from the page and pasted it into a text file I''m using to keep a note of what I''ve looked at and like. Oh well.

Ironically, the store that quoted me the crazy price on the hearts of fire diamond in Philly is the only place that is listed as a vendor for precision set in the city. Also ironically, they''re also the only place to be listed as a vendor for Vatche. I guess I''ll head on down sometime this week and take a look. I''ll be kind of awkward given that I opted not to go with them for the diamond, and pretty much intend to go with gog for the setting too. I guess I''ll have to come up with a story if the sales lady I''ve worked with is there when I head down to the store.

Thanks again for the input. Ellen, I also like that 7977 you pointed out, but its really hard to get a good idea of how that tapered shank looks when they only picture one angle. I have a perception that this setting will make the diamond sit up and out more than the other(maybe not).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 10:54:48 AM
Author: phillystudent

Thanks again for the input. Ellen, I also like that 7977 you pointed out, but its really hard to get a good idea of how that tapered shank looks when they only picture one angle. I have a perception that this setting will make the diamond sit up and out more than the other(maybe not).
Yeah, you really need more views. However, looking at the view we get with 7985, I doubt it would set any higher than that one, but of course can''t say for sure. Hopefully, the place you''re going has lots of settings in stock (these in particular), and you can get a much better idea.

And hopfully the same gal isn''t working that waited on you before.
9.gif
Good luck!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/14/2008 9:02:17 AM
Author: phillystudent
I did some more searching last night(and nearly got caught!!). I noticed that precision set (http://www.precisionset.com/) has some very nice and similar settings to those that I liked from Vatche. Those who replied before liked Vatche, how does precision set compare? I''m interested in models 7970, 7730,7986,7985,7502. I''d link to them but I don''t think I can.

I still want to go looking around philly stores to see what else is out there, but these are two designers that I like that GOG carries. Unless I find something much nicer, I''d like to do the entire package with them for the sake of ease and piece of mind.

I''m interested in platinum, but not opposed to white gold(only because my gf says she wants platinum). Since I got a great deal on what I think is a killer stone for less than I was prepared to pay for the diamond, I can easily afford to go platinum. Again, I''ll ask for advice on this stone once I get the link to it as I''ve only reserved it right now.

Just curious,

Why would you buy from GOG the diamond and then go looking somewhere else for the mounting when GOG already has mountings that you like of high quality? Now you get to go through the hassle of having someone else mount the gem who will not assume any liability for it, which GOG will when they are selling you both the ring and the diamond.

Just seems like a no brainer to me to do it all with one easy stop. But maybe that is my bias as a retailer.

Wink

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 12:32:08 PM
Author: Wink

Just curious,

Why would you buy from GOG the diamond and then go looking somewhere else for the mounting when GOG already has mountings that you like of high quality? Now you get to go through the hassle of having someone else mount the gem who will not assume any liability for it, which GOG will when they are selling you both the ring and the diamond.

Just seems like a no brainer to me to do it all with one easy stop. But maybe that is my bias as a retailer.

Wink
I think he is planning on getting the setting from GOG, but he wants to actually see the settings/quality in person beforehand.
2.gif

He states in his last post:

"and pretty much intend to go with gog for the setting too"

phillystudent

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 12:43:34 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 1/14/2008 12:32:08 PM

Author: Wink

Just curious,

Wink
I think he is planning on getting the setting from GOG, but he wants to actually see the settings/quality in person beforehand.
2.gif

He states in his last post:

''and pretty much intend to go with gog for the setting too''

Yup! I happened to be in Long Island over the weekend and was able to visit with Jonathan for hand picking my diamond. I didn''t have enough time to look carefully at all their settings. I did find the Vatche settings and I like those. I only got to quickly see the precision set settings from the case. I like both, especially after looking online at their website and at each designer''s website. I won''t be able to get back to GOG before I need the ring, so if I can find a place convenient to me in philly(the one I described), I''ll go and try to see some of these in person. Its rather difficult to select a setting on a single picture. I''m also pretty confident that GOG can provide me with additional pictures, but other than dealing with the sales people at the store, its really rather convenient for me to stop by on my way home or during a long lunch break.

Of course I might come across a setting I like more than these, and this situation might warrant the hassle of having someone else do the setting and such, but at this point I doubt that''s going to happen. I''m happy with what I''ve seen and don''t feel confident that I''ll find something I like enough to warrant having someone other than GOG do the setting.

phillystudent

Rough_Rock
Sorry to drive up this thread and topic again, but I need some more advice on settings. I''ve done some searching on designers that GOG carries and find that I really like some of the ones that Verragio sells. I''m waiting to hear back from GOG to see whether they can get me the ring by the 18th of Feb or not which may play a big part in this decision. But for now I''d like to get some opinions on the following settings.

ENG-0278R
ENG-0069R
ENG-0183R
ENG-008R
ENG-0231R

Some of these are exceeding my tentative budget for the setting if I buy platinum but white gold is within the range. Further, I worry about whether I should be spending over 3k on my setting when my stone is only about 5k. Another worry is that my stone is color of I and wonder if I''ll notice the color more with some of these Verragio settings.

The precision set 7977 is my current choice if I had to buy today, but I''d like some feedback and opinions about verragio settings. Specifically if anyone has these specific models and if you have any pictures.

And finally, I could take advice of previous replies and get a temporary setting for the proposal and pick the real one after-- although I''d rather not do that as I know she''ll love any of these settings.

Thanks guys.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
In order listed.

1. It''s "ok", but just my personal opinion.

2. It''s different, and imo, a little risky. Personally, I wouldn''t go for it.

3. This is a 5 stone. That means a lot more money for more diamonds.
33.gif
But pretty.

4. Another 5 stone....

5. Another 5 stone, and again, kinda risky. I''d pass. (is the search pulling up the wrong settings on the 5 stones)?

Honestly, and this is just my taste, you know your girl a lot better, the Precision 7977 is far and away my favorite still.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results