shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting project vs new stones - what would you do?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey folks,

I have a similar thread going over in Hangout, so please excuse the double up - but I started to think, I may get some different opinions over here seeing as you CSers understand the desire...that sometimes overwhelming desire :sick: to purchase new coloured gems..

If it is easier for some, here is a link to the other thread explaining my "dilemma"...
and for those that prefer to read here, to sum it up:

I am trying to make the decision between spending my (at least) next 12 months jewellery / gems budget on a custom setting with a really wonderful jeweller for my 1.55ct K VS1 OEC I recently acquired...if posters recall, it is the same NZ jeweller that made Klewis's amazing tourmaline ring, recently posted here.

If I do so, it means no more gems or jewellery projects and certainly no more setting any gems for at least a year..

I know a lot of you understand that compulsion to add to your coloured gem collection - to be honest, usually it would be a no brainer in favour of the ring..
But at the moment I have the opportunity to purchase a couple of stones I have been after for quite some time..
so that is kinda where the conflict comes in...

In an ideal world, I would get the ring made and purchase one excellent big fat gem and I would be more than happy with that for at least the year - this *could* be possible, but it depends on a few contingencies.
Right now, it is not :(sad

So the thread is a little more fun, here is some pics of the OEC I am looking to set, plus Klewis's awesome ring (hope you don't mind me nicking the pic!)

I really look forward to hearing any opinions on what you think I should do and / or what you would do?
:))
DSC07017rs.jpg
DSC06921rs.jpg
DSC02622.jpg

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I'd get the gems you've been after. The setting will always be available, the gems may not be.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I had this problem a couple of years ago. I was having a custom ring made for my new Infinity diamond when our finances went bad. What I did was I did not set my new diamond in a ring. Instead, I had the jeweler set it in a 14k white gold Stuller basket setting so I could wear the diamond as a pendant. This is quite inexpensive. Then my budget was free to buy more colored stones and I could still enjoy my diamond. BTW, the stone is a 0.70 ct F VS1 Infinity, which I think is overkill in color and quality for a pendant, but I sure do get the compliments on it. Infinity makes stunning diamonds, and most pendant stones just aren't as interesting. :cheeky:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nashville said:
I'd get the gems you've been after. The setting will always be available, the gems may not be.

I tried to type basically this same answer yesterday from my phone, but PS wouldn't let me post. So I'll just ditto this now.

I did have a suggestion though--what if you take that whole amount you'd be spending, save half for the setting and spend the other half on the gems? Yeah it will take you twice as long for the setting, but you'd get to have your cake and eat it too! :tongue:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'd buy the gems. For me, the key words in your post were "stones I have been after for quite some time." You may regret passing on specific stones, especially if you have had them on your "want" list for a while. Klewis's ring is amazing, and your OEC certainly deserves a wonderful setting, but you can always set a stone, you can't always find the perfect stone to buy at a price that you can afford.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
great replies everyone, keep em coming-its a little late here so i'll respond individually tomorrow. Thankyou all for your input ::)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I guess I am in the other school of thought. I would spend the money on the setting so you can wear and enjoy your stone. I mean I love buying gems and looking at them but the enjoyment that my completed projects give me is so different. Missing several stones for a year won't be the end of the world.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
I guess I am in the other school of thought. I would spend the money on the setting so you can wear and enjoy your stone. I mean I love buying gems and looking at them but the enjoyment that my completed projects give me is so different. Missing several stones for a year won't be the end of the world.

I posted in your other thread. I agree with CharmyPoo, but I think you should do what you want. I guess you could always push your project back a few months and get one of the stones you want. I've gone without any major gem purchases for quite a few months now and it's not that bad. I have less than three months to go till my project is done and I know it'll be worth it in the end.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Nashville said:

This!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I bought a bunch of stones, and was going to start setting them, and than a stone that I thought was reserved became available (I had been watching it for 6 months) so I bought it. Now with my wedding and some other financial stuff that has come off, I have had to put my colored stones on hold for a couple of years.

But I am actually glad I got the stones I have and don't mind waiting until I can afford the right setting for them. I see my collection as something I am going to build over years as I can afford it, and I enjoy having the stones more than I do the settings. Plus, I find that other than my e-ring, I am not really wearing jewelry at my job. Having stuff on my right hand (my dominate hand) has just gotten in the way too much.

I guess it depends if you like having the stones to have the stones, or you are really looking to make a piece of jewelry. I started wanting to make jewelry, and have turned into someone who loves having the stones.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I answered to set it in your other thread..but I never thought about the fact that they are stones you've been eyeing for some time. I don't know that it changes my answer or not, but it just makes it all the more harder to decide. I've been going round and round b/c I want another chrysoberyl and I've got 3 other colors I want, but I want to do my 3 stone first. But-I'd be able to afford even 1 stone before the 3 stone setting. I don't know AJ-that's a dang hard decision!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJJ,
It depends on your priorities. Do you care about overall gem quality and color, or do you care more about setting quality? If you can't afford to have both, that's a decision you need to make. I care more about the former so that's why I have lots of unset gems and LOGR's which many people think are hideous. :oops: For me it's about the gem, but for other people it maybe about the quality of cutting, or the quality of the setting, and those are definitely understandable priorities which I respect. Gems are made by nature and not man, so we can't order them up like a setting or a precision cut. What is most important to YOU??

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621 said:
Nashville said:

This!

I also agree with the above.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
As TL said, the real answer is why you buy gems. I buy gems to ultimately make into jewelry - I am not a gem collector although it appears I have developed an obsessive purchasing habit. Since my goal is to make my gems into jewelry, I would tend to go for the setting (suspect lots of people in Rocky Talky may have that view). On the other hand, Colored Stones Forum has a lot of gemstone collectors who wouldn't want to miss the chance to get the stones they love. The settings are always going to be there.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Been there, read the book, seen the film, got the T-shirt.

All I wanted was an upgraded ER for my 15th WA. Since hanging out with you lot, I have purchased and over-filled a 25 slot gem case.

I am still waiting on setting the stone for my ER upgrade and everytime I start to think seriously about a setting project, something comes along to claim my funds. A five stone BGD ring for instance which was never on my list. Now I am seriously hankering after a French Cut diamond band like Harriet's. Where will it end?

So my advice is to set the stone. There will always be lovely gemmies to tempt you.

My new JKT arrived this week, so I am definitely in the setting camp at the moment.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
If it were me I'd regret it if I missed out on stones I'd been dreaming about.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much everyone for your replies!
I guess it should be kinda expected considering the differences in priorities of most of the folk who post on CS - but I still found it interesting that the consensus of this thread was pretty much opposite to that of hangout.
You have given me some food for thought for sure.

Nashville said:

This is true, cheers Nashville for your post.

Fly Girl said:
I had this problem a couple of years ago. I was having a custom ring made for my new Infinity diamond when our finances went bad. What I did was I did not set my new diamond in a ring. Instead, I had the jeweler set it in a 14k white gold Stuller basket setting so I could wear the diamond as a pendant. This is quite inexpensive. Then my budget was free to buy more colored stones and I could still enjoy my diamond. BTW, the stone is a 0.70 ct F VS1 Infinity, which I think is overkill in color and quality for a pendant, but I sure do get the compliments on it. Infinity makes stunning diamonds, and most pendant stones just aren't as interesting. :cheeky:

Hey fly girl - thanks for sharing your story, I'm sorry you weren't able to get your infinity set as you wished. I am sure it would attract a lot of attention, that is a great pendant size.
I had actually considered (almost ordered) a temp setting for the OEC when I first got it - however, what started out as pretty cheap kept getting more expensive, as I realized I just didn't want to set it in something super basic..(completely my fault, nothing to do with the vendor I was talking to).
So, this lead me to think I may as well just go that extra mile to custom, rather than semi-custom I may not love.
Hope that makes sense.

FrekeChild said:
I tried to type basically this same answer yesterday from my phone, but PS wouldn't let me post. So I'll just ditto this now.

I did have a suggestion though--what if you take that whole amount you'd be spending, save half for the setting and spend the other half on the gems? Yeah it will take you twice as long for the setting, but you'd get to have your cake and eat it too! :tongue:

Freke - this is a really good suggestion. I know it seems pretty obvious, but I hadn't really looked at it this way yet. I think you're onto something - thankyou! ::)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Aoife said:
I'd buy the gems. For me, the key words in your post were "stones I have been after for quite some time." You may regret passing on specific stones, especially if you have had them on your "want" list for a while. Klewis's ring is amazing, and your OEC certainly deserves a wonderful setting, but you can always set a stone, you can't always find the perfect stone to buy at a price that you can afford.

Cheers Aoife for your input. You're correct, one stone has been on top of my list pretty much since I've been on PS..there isn't massive urgency to move, but I would not want to miss out.
And I agree with your last statement 100%.

CharmyPoo said:

Thanks Charmy - this is where I am perhaps different to many CS'ers, and similar to what you have described. I love the thrill of a new gem - however, I buy mine to set and wear, not to collect.
And I know you enjoy the custom design process, as do I.
I have 'gelled' so well with this new jeweller - and anyone who knows me on PS had heard me lament many times the lack of any quality custom jewellers where I live - well, they are still a bit far away in NZ, but certainly closer (and by way of better exchange ratesand reduced shipping costs) slightly more affordable than US based vendors too, with a very high quality product.
I am very excited at the prospect of working with them, whether it ends up being sooner or later. :))

Burberrygirl said:
I posted in your other thread. I agree with CharmyPoo, but I think you should do what you want. I guess you could always push your project back a few months and get one of the stones you want. I've gone without any major gem purchases for quite a few months now and it's not that bad. I have less than three months to go till my project is done and I know it'll be worth it in the end.

Cheers burberry for responding in both - apologies if it seems odd to have 2 thread on the same topic, but I knew I would get such a different range of responses, so I thought it useful. ::)

Wow, that is a long wait for a project! Can't wait to see what it is. You're correct of course, putting it back a couple months shouldn't really be that hard..
I'm pretty bad though with gems and jewellery - once I set my mind to wanting something, I like to move quickly. Probably a pretty bad habit, really.
I must admit though I am working on it and am quite proud of myself - I have had a project in with JKT since around Oct last year; it should be finished by August, and I have been a model patient client :bigsmile: So perhaps I am better at waiting than I think. ;))

Thanks Sarahbear for your post!

LtlFirecracker said:
I bought a bunch of stones, and was going to start setting them, and than a stone that I thought was reserved became available (I had been watching it for 6 months) so I bought it. Now with my wedding and some other financial stuff that has come off, I have had to put my colored stones on hold for a couple of years.

But I am actually glad I got the stones I have and don't mind waiting until I can afford the right setting for them. I see my collection as something I am going to build over years as I can afford it, and I enjoy having the stones more than I do the settings. Plus, I find that other than my e-ring, I am not really wearing jewelry at my job. Having stuff on my right hand (my dominate hand) has just gotten in the way too much.

I guess it depends if you like having the stones to have the stones, or you are really looking to make a piece of jewelry. I started wanting to make jewelry, and have turned into someone who loves having the stones.

Hi ltl, thanks for sharing your story. I have the same outlook as you, in that I see my collection as something I will be building for years to come - however I value my stones equally with my settings. Personally, I don't see one as more important, but both as a 'project' together. I am not one to really set a stone unless it is in something I really like - I would rather wait if I can't afford the correct setting.

I agree with you about the right hand - I started buying projects as RHR's, and found I just don't wear them, and tend to worry about damaging them. I also like to be wearing only one ring at a time, so now I just wear and size my 'important' pieces for my ring finger. I don't mind having 'alternative erings' (and neither does my Fi, as long as I keep the original in the rotation ;)) ).
Fun (less expensive) pieces I will wear and size for other fingers though.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Arjuna,

Hey, you've been busy
I'm so pleased have been in contact with RDG and that it has come to something.
My suggestion - extend your budget and go for the ring and the stones :Up_to_something: - very irresponsible advice I know so if extending your budget is out, then go for the ring but only if it is really the one you have to have. I have seen the pics of your Umbalite in the Meyer setting so I can clearly see you want both great gems and great settings.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
I answered to set it in your other thread..but I never thought about the fact that they are stones you've been eyeing for some time. I don't know that it changes my answer or not, but it just makes it all the more harder to decide. I've been going round and round b/c I want another chrysoberyl and I've got 3 other colors I want, but I want to do my 3 stone first. But-I'd be able to afford even 1 stone before the 3 stone setting. I don't know AJ-that's a dang hard decision!

Hey Pack - cheers for answering twice.
Ya, its gems vs diamonds to some extent! It does make it a little difficult to decide - but not such a bad decision to have, so I am not complaining ::)

I hear you hon! Is your 3 stone project currently on hold?

tourmaline_lover said:
AJJ,
It depends on your priorities. Do you care about overall gem quality and color, or do you care more about setting quality? If you can't afford to have both, that's a decision you need to make. I care more about the former so that's why I have lots of unset gems and LOGR's which many people think are hideous. :oops: For me it's about the gem, but for other people it maybe about the quality of cutting, or the quality of the setting, and those are definitely understandable priorities which I respect. Gems are made by nature and not man, so we can't order them up like a setting or a precision cut. What is most important to YOU??

Hey TL, cheers for your reply. I understand your viewpoint, however, I guess this is where you and I differ a bit in basic mentality about gem collecting and setting - I don't see gem quality and colour and setting quality as an "either or" type of situation at all; in fact, I value both equally and see them as kind of a 'package' together.
That is why you won't see me setting my stones in something 'just for the sake of it' that I don't love, neither will I buy a gem I don't like the cutting or clarity on because it may have 'top colour'. Of course, these are my preferences and all of us are different.
I don't pretend to have the best collection of gems, but I am pretty happy with the quality of what I have, for my income level. Same for my projects/ settings. I have a couple loose gems I may keep unset, one or two "learner stones" I will not set, and the rest are either set already or eventually will be. I guess I aim to have a collection of nice jewellery, not just of nice gems.
To answer your question - I value the quality of my gems' colour, the cutting of them (yes, precision :bigsmile: ), and the style and quality of setting they go in pretty much equally (of course, each factor has different weighting depending on the project).
Hence I guess why this is isn't an easier decision ! ;))

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
As TL said, the real answer is why you buy gems. I buy gems to ultimately make into jewelry - I am not a gem collector although it appears I have developed an obsessive purchasing habit. Since my goal is to make my gems into jewelry, I would tend to go for the setting (suspect lots of people in Rocky Talky may have that view). On the other hand, Colored Stones Forum has a lot of gemstone collectors who wouldn't want to miss the chance to get the stones they love. The settings are always going to be there.

Hey Charmy - thanks for your followup thoughts. I hope my answers above illustrate my motivations.
Like you, I buy my gems to be made into jewellery. As I have pretty particular tastes, usually this ends up being custom jewellery.
However, I do also have a 'wish list' of gems I would really like to own, even if it could take me a couple years to end up setting them. (The ones I am considering are in that kinda category.)
Exactly, the responses in CS compared to hangout are almost opposite, which is why I enjoyed posting in both for the different perspectives and opinions, I think its been an interesting discussion ::)

________
Thanks Brandy for your opinion!
________

Gailey said:
Been there, read the book, seen the film, got the T-shirt.

All I wanted was an upgraded ER for my 15th WA. Since hanging out with you lot, I have purchased and over-filled a 25 slot gem case.

I am still waiting on setting the stone for my ER upgrade and everytime I start to think seriously about a setting project, something comes along to claim my funds. A five stone BGD ring for instance which was never on my list. Now I am seriously hankering after a French Cut diamond band like Harriet's. Where will it end?

So my advice is to set the stone. There will always be lovely gemmies to tempt you.

My new JKT arrived this week, so I am definitely in the setting camp at the moment.

Hi Gailey - oohh, I must jump straight to the news about the JKT - when do we get to see? Is it a ring, do tell?!
Cheers for sharing your experience - I hear just what you are saying, trust me!

oddoneout said:
If it were me I'd regret it if I missed out on stones I'd been dreaming about.

Thanks oddoneout for your post - yep, when I give it thought I would definitely regret turning down the gems I am currently considering.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
klewis said:
Hi Arjuna,

Hey, you've been busy
My suggestion - extend your budget and go for the ring and the stones :Up_to_something: - very irresponsible advice I know so if extending your budget is out, then go for the ring but only if it is really the one you have to have. I have seen the pics of your Umbalite in the Meyer setting so I can clearly see you want both great gems and great settings.

Hello klewis -
ha ha, the inspiration and the cause for my current dilemma! Just kidding, I am extremely grateful that you have bought RDG to my attention, as you know they are wonderful people.
I am very happy to follow your advice, I will pass around my PS collection plate and please donate generously - and within a couple weeks you shall all be rewarded with a great big lot of eye candy - sounds fair, right?! :lol:

You are spot on though, I do value having nice gems in nice settings - cheers for noticing ::)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
So, just to give some kind of 'closure' - I am leaning at this stage toward following Freke's advice.

I will get the gems first that I have had on my list and would be upset to miss out on, then start saving toward the ring.
I had 3 gems under consideration, but for the sake of the custom ring I think I will narrow it to two.

It will take me a good couple of months, but with a bit of planning I should still be able to have my OEC ring before end of this year..

Anyways, that's my thought process as of now...let's see if it changes again in the next 24 hours :bigsmile: :roll:

Thank you all for your advice and opinions, I appreciate hearing the different POV's and experiences - and knowing I am certainly not alone! ::)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Good to hear you've made a decision AJ - that's probably exactly what I would have done! Hope we get to see these new stones soon, and I can't wait to see your new ring before too long!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever you decide, I'll be looking forward to seeing the end results, especially your project with the OEC. Such a lovely stone.

Like you, I really buy gems to wear or give as gifts, so I do completely understand the dilemma.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
AJ-my 3 stone is on hold until I can scrounge up the down payment. I sent my chryso and zircons back to Michael, so they're just hanging out for now. I've got some stuff to list elsewhere (which I've been saying for months now I'm going to do and never do it) and hopefully it goes so the project can be started.

Hey, how's your bracelet project coming along w/JKT? I'm dying to see the final product-I've got an earrings/bracelet idea I want to do..but it's #7 in line so it will be a while!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
arjunajane said:
klewis said:
Hi Arjuna,

Hey, you've been busy

Hello klewis -
ha ha, the inspiration and the cause for my current dilemma! Just kidding, I am extremely grateful that you have bought RDG to my attention, as you know they are wonderful people.
I am very happy to follow your advice, I will pass around my PS collection plate and please donate generously - and within a couple weeks you shall all be rewarded with a great big lot of eye candy - sounds fair, right?! :lol:

You are spot on though, I do value having nice gems in nice settings - cheers for noticing ::)

A donation -Yeah right! :lol: I'm going to be seeing them in a few weeks time in connection with the Phoenix ring so I'll leave my donation at their door

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Burberrygirl said:

arjunajane said:
Cheers burberry for responding in both - apologies if it seems odd to have 2 thread on the same topic, but I knew I would get such a different range of responses, so I thought it useful. ::)

Wow, that is a long wait for a project! Can't wait to see what it is. You're correct of course, putting it back a couple months shouldn't really be that hard..
I'm pretty bad though with gems and jewellery - once I set my mind to wanting something, I like to move quickly. Probably a pretty bad habit, really.
I must admit though I am working on it and am quite proud of myself - I have had a project in with JKT since around Oct last year; it should be finished by August, and I have been a model patient client :bigsmile: So perhaps I am better at waiting than I think. ;))

Wow, it sounds like you're much more patient than you think! I completely understand the reason for both threads. You asked me in the other one what my project was, it's a set of rose gold stack rings by JKT with some diamonds. I bought the stones (tanz, tsav, and indicolite cabs) as a present to myself after my first year of college and my parents are paying for them to be set as my 20th birthday present. JKT is eventually going to make me thin bands with spaced out diamonds to wear in between each cab ring, hopefully we'll be able to do that by Christmas. I can't wait to see your OEC set and/or new gems. Whats the project your doing with JKT? Whatever it is I'm sure it'll be fabulous. :))

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nashville said:

I've never thought about that. Good point!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
AJ, I don't know how old you are or how old everyone is who has voiced an opinion on your thread, but I am 49 in September and despite the fact that most of me looks like a total babe, my hands are starting to feel and appear their age.

Just this week, I noticed a suspicious Osteo arthritic lump on one of my knucles on the index finger of my right hand. My thumbs have been suffering painfully for the last couple of summers. I'm a professional gardener, a well as being the vainest person I know, so I am acutely aware of the dwindling amount of time I have on my hands (pardon the pun) for my rings to look their best.

Now you might be in your twenties or thirties for all I know and have all the time in the world to build rings that are going to look gorgeous on you, but if you are on the wrong side of 40, take a cold hard look at how long you might have to enjoy looking at your jewellery on youthful, beautiful hands.

Set the damn stone woman! Just do it!!!

Just a thought .....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results