shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Pearls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
OK..this is probably a really dumb question...but here goes.

With pearl rings..how are they set? Do they drill a hole through them like they do for a necklace or make notches in them like for invisible settings? I only owned one pearl ring that belonged to my great grandmother but it was lost long ago. It was a real pearl but it looked like it was glued in somehow. I was just wondering because I saw a beautiful Tahitian pearl ring that I really like and was wondering if it could pop out by accident.

33.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am NOT a jeweller, but last year I had a round golden SS pearl set into a pendant. I bought the pearl undrilled, but was told by the master goldsmith who set it that drilling and placing it on a post was the best way to stabilzie/secure the pearl. Couldn''t guarentee it''s safety otherwise. I''ve certaiinly seen pearls glued--seed pearls for instance, so maybe it depends on the size, shape and type of pearl as well.

cheers--Sharon

sahmama

Rough_Rock
I had a pearl ring once. It was a black pearl with diamonds around it and I loved it. The pearl kept falling off. It had been drilled, and kept coming off the post. The jewelers where I bought it repaired it one time, replaced the whole ring with another the second time, and I actually glued it on myself once and still it fell off. Finally they let me trade it for another item. I miss it--it was so beautiful, but I''m thinking maybe pearls are better suited to pendants and earrings after my experience.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I had no idea that they were set that way. Very interesting. I really do like the tahitian pearl rings that I''ve been seeing but I don''t know if I would want one now. Especially because I''m so hard on rings. I''m not the most gracefull person on the planet
20.gif
But I agree that maybe for someone like me they would be better suited for pendants and earrings.

Thanks so much canuk and sahmama.
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a failry large (11.5mm) black SS pearl ring, which I wear and love. B/C it is set high with two diamonds beside it--it does "stick" out--but I have never been uneasy about wearing it lest I should lose it. I guess one should be careful in general........

cheers--Sharon

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually there is a peg... as you say, but not this once! I''ve seen lots of versions of this swirl design lately - quite lovely
2.gif

Mikimoto10mmSSpearlRing.JPG

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of pearls.....good grief!!!

pic4.jpg

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
This is all so interesting. I am learning much more than I could have imagined. I can certainly imagine that a threaded post would be more secure than a smooth post...glue or no glue. Gives it something to grab with.

Cool beans! I'm sure I'll think of something else to ask later on
9.gif
My mind is always wandering...in a good way of course..never when I'm conducting business
9.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results