shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Pear With Window...

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
So I just got this little pear with I guess a window.
The stone was NOT expensive
But I have to tell you, the color just puts a little smile of delight on my face.... :))
At some point in future, I would really like to just have it inexpensively set and wear it
Not sure yet if ring or pendant.

So Question

Is there any particular setting that minimizes a window
Or should one just say "Who Cares?" and do whatever?
Thoughts?
Do you have a windowed stone you love and have set anyway? :devil:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to know more about this pear!

I have such issues with windows...I think it is one reason I'm so psycho about precision cuts...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean that it has a bowtie across the centre of the pear? If so, these are notoriously hard to hide. Other shapes you can mask a window or bowtie a little better but pears are extremely difficult. The only way to mask this is to have a more enclosed basket under the gem to reflect the light back up. It doesn't always work though.

Having said that, I've set many gemstones that have windows (if you look at my recent threads you'll see both my Paraiba Tourmalines have windows) so I'd say that you should go ahead because if you love the colour, that's all that matters. In all honesty, it's only us gem nuts that would even notice a bowtie or window. Most people just see colour!

Do you have any pictures?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts are who cares, do what you want...most "normal" non-pricescope people wouldnt even realize there is a window in the stone...so I say do what you want, what kind of stone did you get?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I currently have a pear with a shallow cut and it has a large window. I'm hoping that the basket I ordered will help in minimizing the window since I love the color of this stone.

We need to see pics!! :cheeky:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
OH :lol:
Thanks for the replies so far!
I don't know why I am so taken with this particular little stone
I also like its plumpness..... :sun:

Freke, I am sending you a couple iphone pics
I am notoriously terrible at figuring out how to post pics here.....

Sure, little pear Chrysoberyl from Tan
Thing is, it is not a shallow cut
Gosh, though, I LOVE that particular color, sort of like Mountain Dew...

ETA: Oh, sorry, it doesn't look like bowtie to me
Just a sort of empty place if you look at it right.....
I can't really explain it better....
Loving, I love your gemstones!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you absolutely love the colour, go for it!

I just bought a couple of native cut pears (mahenge spinel and tanzanite) with small windows, but the colours spoke to me, so I set them anyway.

The window in the mahenge hasn't closed up completely, but the colour trumps any small amount of windowing I see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people are very bothered by any slightest amount of a window in a gemstone and others don't care a whit. If you fall into the camp that it bothers you, having it set in a very enclosed style setting will minimize its appearance (halo, bezel or an enclosed basket).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results