shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I''m definitely going to upgrade my diamond to between .75 and 1.00cts, (changing from a family diamond shown below of a little under 1/2ct.) What I''m trying to decide is whether to set a larger stone in the existing ring, (which is not original or antique,) or to change to a different setting. I will post the other setting next.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether this setting could accomodate a 3/4 to 1ct stone? And which do you prefer, look-wise? I do have fairly small hands and long fingers. (My ring-finger size is 4 1/4.) I like the idea of the bolder yet still delicate and detailed setting in the next post, (which by the way is shown with a 1/2 carat stone as well, so the proportions will be different with either setting.) But I''ve read so much on here about a narrower band showing off the rock better, which is very true.

Please help me! I can''t decide!

-Melissa

myringtop2.jpg

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Here's the ring I'm considering switching to, again with a slightly larger diamond.

antring2.jpg

clementine

Shiny_Rock
Any chance you can find out what size stone is shown in the other ring? I'll bet it's close to 1 carat, and it looks great.

I personally would go with a whole new setting (I did, and have no regrets) then you can keep the original stone with its setting to pass on to someone else in the family some day.

Good luck!

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
The stone shown in the second setting is just over a half carat. I have also discovered now that the setting is composed of a wedding band surrounded by an engagement ring. I had been thinking of continuing to wear my current wedding band, and possibly adding an anniversary band at some point. How do you think those would look with each of the setting options?

Also, I'm thinking of getting an Oval instead of a Round. Any thoughts?

-Melissa

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
I've abandoned the idea of an Oval, as my husband likes round best, period.
rolleyes.gif
I like round/rounded cuts best, so that's just fine with me.

Is no one for my current setting?
15.gif
It's not a very good picture, but it's an adorable setting. I didn't agonize over the choice of it though, as so many do here, and I do not loooooove every little thing about it. And really, I'm an agonizing sort of person!

-Melissa

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
That setting is lovely! It's hard to imagine what a larger stone would look like in the setting---you're right about narrower settings showing off the rock though!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hm. I think a larger stone might overwhelm your original setting, and the head would have to be raised quite a bit. (Where did you get that, BTW? It's really gorgeous!) A .75 might work, but I think a 1 carat will be too big. Of course, I could be wrong. Perhaps take the ring to a jeweler, and though "perching" a 1 carat on top of it may not give you a great idea, it may give somewhat of a feel of how a bigger diamond would looks.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, have you just thought about buying a new ring and wearing it on your right hand instead?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results