shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting my new cushion - three stone help and advice please!

KB0708

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - I'm looking for advice! I really love a setting I saw yesterday for a brand new cushion diamond that was an upgrade to my engagement ring. It's white gold, good coverage for my fingers and I love the pinch at the tip of the trillion diamonds.

As I've been glued to this site for most of the last 2 days looking for inspiration, I've realized I need to pay attention to the size of the trillions as compared to the cushion I just purchased.

My stone is a 1.73 square cushion, 6.93 / 6.91 sides. H colored with faint fluorescence. See two photos below, ignore the other very old and dirty diamond next to it. :)

The first pic below is of the setting I want. The trillions are .48 and .49 G VS 2 trillions (so tcw of .97). They are beautiful, the pic doesn't do them justice.

I thought a ~ 3:1 carat ratio would be perfect, but now having read up on the 'spread' of trillions, I'm worried this isn't going to look right. The current head on the setting didn't allow me to really set my stone in and see how it would all look together. I don't mind the trillions coming up close to the top edge of the cushion (I don't think). But I'm not sure I want them to be equal in length to the center stone either. Or even worse, look longer than it. I do want the center stone to stand out a bit as it is quite beautiful.

The store is a small family/woman owned jewelry store in Chicago (not a chain) that has been around for over 100 years in her family and has hundreds of wonderful reviews. She has told me we can get smaller trillions for the sides. I've emailed her requesting the L/W on the current trillions. They are closed until Tuesday but she emailed back already and said she will get me the length/width ratio on the trillions first thing that morning.

In your opinions, what is the perfect ratio for this particular cushion? Pics and specs of your own rings or examples more than welcome!!!!

D1.jpg d3.jpg S1.jpg S2.jpg S3.jpg

KB0708

Rough_Rock
Here are two inspiration pics (although these diamonds are more elongated) and the corners I'm focused on making sure I am happy with.

example 1.jpg example 2.PNG

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are you going for full finger coverage as opposed to accent sidestones?

KB0708

Rough_Rock
So are you going for full finger coverage as opposed to accent sidestones?

Going more for finger coverage than accent side stones. The jeweler didn't think the 1/2 carats would be too overpowering with the 1.73 center, but I'm not so sure...

I want to strike a balance as I do like full finger coverage, but again, don't want to overpower.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that last picture you posted where the sides of the trillion are slightly smaller than the side of the cushion. Gives the cushion the
right distinction but still gives you nice finger coverage with the trillions.

I personally would not do a peg head. I would want a setting that was specifically made for a cushion with trillion side stones.

I would do a setting like this (this one sets too high IMO though).
Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

KB0708

Rough_Rock
Ok. This is my favorite setting for a 3 stone cushion so since You are open to ideas. It belonged to @JDDN
4C517A81-7540-48A9-A032-46E453620D81.png 4900B3AB-D102-458C-AA60-D3F0B516B315.png

Beautiful!! What diamond shape is on the sides? Trapezoids?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!

KB0708

Rough_Rock
I like that last picture you posted where the sides of the trillion are slightly smaller than the side of the cushion. Gives the cushion the
right distinction but still gives you nice finger coverage with the trillions.

I personally would not do a peg head. I would want a setting that was specifically made for a cushion with trillion side stones.

I would do a setting like this (this one sets too high IMO though).
Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

I like this very much! What is a peg head? I know that if I move forward with above setting, they will be removing the current prong head to put on one made for a cushion (the current one is made for a round). I believe she used the term basket. Is this what you are referring to?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes @KB0708. That setting you are looking at is called a peghead because it can take different heads. The different heads (baskets) have
a little peg sticking out of the bottom that goes into the shank (main part of the setting).

They are not very custom looking because it was not made for your shape of stone. Please tell me that you are not paying the price tag on that
setting? If so, it is overpriced IMO.

I would ask David Klass for a quote.

KB0708

Rough_Rock
Yes @KB0708. That setting you are looking at is called a peghead because it can take different heads. The different heads (baskets) have
a little peg sticking out of the bottom that goes into the shank (main part of the setting).

They are not very custom looking because it was not made for your shape of stone. Please tell me that you are not paying the price tag on that
setting? If so, it is overpriced IMO.

I would ask David Klass for a quote.

No, definitely not that price. She took $1500 off. Is $3400 still overpriced? I tried to gauge it with the knowledge that there was 1ctw in the band. Although price will go down if I switch to smaller side stones.

I will definitely keep looking as I am in no rush!!

KB0708

Rough_Rock
And thank you for all of this great information. I appreciate it so much. It’s already is quite apparent how uneducated I am when it comes to this!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And thank you for all of this great information. I appreciate it so much. It’s already is quite apparent how uneducated I am when it comes to this!!

I’ve had this setting before and I didn’t really like how the trillions performed. Not sure if I got a poorly cut pair or what. Just make sure that you have a chance to see them physically. As to the price, that seems pricey

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
No, definitely not that price. She took $1500 off. Is $3400 still overpriced? I tried to gauge it with the knowledge that there was 1ctw in the band. Although price will go down if I switch to smaller side stones.

I will definitely keep looking as I am in no rush!!

hard to tell without knowing the quality of the stones.

Adiamor has a 1ctw trillion setting that is $5250 but that is using H/VS2 sides, which I suspect these ones are not. Their .40tw setting is $2750.

My favorite settings in this style actually don't have trilliants, they have three rounds arranged in the trilliant shape that sparkle like crazy. I have one like this from Sholdt that I'm quite partial to - and it was significantly less expensive than what's being quoted here.

OBt4reh - Imgur.jpg

KB0708

Rough_Rock
hard to tell without knowing the quality of the stones.

Adiamor has a 1ctw trillion setting that is $5250 but that is using H/VS2 sides, which I suspect these ones are not. Their .40tw setting is $2750.

My favorite settings in this style actually don't have trilliants, they have three rounds arranged in the trilliant shape that sparkle like crazy. I have one like this from Sholdt that I'm quite partial to - and it was significantly less expensive than what's being quoted here.

OBt4reh - Imgur.jpg
That is gorgeous!!! I’m going to search up some more pictures and think about the side stones some more. This looks like so much fire! The side stones above are G/VS2, so not that different from Adiamore...

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
That is gorgeous!!! I’m going to search up some more pictures and think about the side stones some more. This looks like so much fire! The side stones above are G/VS2, so not that different from Adiamore...

Mine is the 635, but they also make one with trilliants - the 473.

Yes, mine is super sparkly, especially next to the step cut; I think it would be a gorgeous setting with an H&A cushion, and almost assuredly unique. The gallery is open as well, which really shows off the center stone.

Worth shooting Kalee at Sholdt an email; if she has made one, she'll have examples to show you. They can also make whatever you want, but you won't find much nicer people and their settings are quite affordable IME.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
My avatar is a cushion with side traps, custom setting which sits lower. Stats are in my SMTB thread. :) And because I'm always happy to share it...

20200414_192241.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think $3400 is still a lot considering it is not custom (its a peghead).

.48 G/VS2 rounds run about $1k at JA. So thats $2k plus setting of $1400. If it was a quality setting they were offering I would say $3500
was reasonable/typical but well, its a generic peghead.

Here is a David Klass 3 stone so you can see the quality of his work.

He has made countless rings/pieces of jewelry for Pricescopers (including myself).

Sholdt is worth taking a look. They offer quality settings that will be custom for your stone. Significantly less price for a quality
setting (win, win).

Also agree with @nala and @kb1gra that trilliants arent the greatest of performers and you'll get much more bang out of round stones if you can
adjust to a slightly different look.

Glad you're not in a hurry. You're spending a lot of money. Make sure you get a beautiful setting that will really show off that cushion and give
you the finger coverage you desire!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results