shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting modified to fit stone

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I’ve had the stone picked out for an engagement ring for a while now, and I have the setting narrowed down to 2 that are almost identical. The first one has milgrain and the second one doesn’t. I know it’s a subtle difference, but I’m certain she would prefer the second one. My only concern is that the jeweler said it would need to be modified to fit my stone..the other one wouldn’t, and I’m still waiting for a price quote on that. She said that they don’t modify beyond structural integrity, but I’m still not sure about getting a ring modified..is it a bad idea or am I just overthinking it? I really don’t know anything about jewelry so I wanted to rub it by you guys first. Thanks
C1D6BC23-A674-4A70-9908-B05C6491F6FA.jpeg EFC66067-8077-4293-A711-C659CA49533A.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not a good idea to have a stock halo setting with lots of meleè modified in any way. Which is the designed of the setting and what’s your budget for the setting? Can you tell us more about the stone you picked?

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
The first one, the one with the milgrain is the one that wouldn’t need to be modified for my stone, and my budget is $1800 tops on the setting. The stone is a .9 triple excellent, H, eye clean SI2. Scored 1.8 on HCA and I’ve looked at it multiple times and compared it to different stones. I’m happy with it, my only concern was the setting. I guess I will choose the first one, since modifying is a bad idea.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Often times I like milgrain, but not a fan of the picture you posted. Probably because to me it looks like there’s no reason to add that extra detail when the setting already has enough to catch your eye and hold interest. I say, setting two.

Last edited:

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
Often times I like milgrain, but not a fan in the picture you posted. Probably because to me it looks like there’s no reason to add that extra detail when the setting already has enough to catch your eye and hold interest. I say, setting two.

Even though I would have to get it modified to fit my stone? I agree with everything you said but that was my main concern. It’s definitely a reputable local jeweler that has been around for a long time, and they said they don’t do modifications past structural integrity. But I was already concerned, and even more after SimoneDi’s response.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Nvm. I read incorrectly. I would not have a setting modified to fit the stone. Is that your SO dream setting? If it is, it’s a popular setting that you can get anywhere unless you are locked in with a specific vendor. If not dream setting another idea- if I were to halo my solitaire would be this setting: simple yet elegant plus more finger real estate which a lot us love. :) 49AB9ADA-E157-4C01-B009-FA93EF40C79B.jpeg

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I know she wants a halo and would prefer side stones but they’re not completely necessary. A twisted band isn’t necessary either but she did say that she likes them

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
If she prefers side stones then stick with her preferences. Have you checked with other vendors like JA for a twisted halo for your center stone. Some vendors are even having sales for Valentines.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been Googling & have not yet found a halo semi-mount -- meaning you don't have to buy the center stone from the vendor -- for a 6 mm center stone without millegrain, but with the pave'd "infinity" shank, for less money than $1800.

I have found this Stuller that checks all the boxes (except I can't be certain of price), but not sure if it's exactly what you're hoping for. Although it's shown here as a completed ring,

this is the Stuller page for the semi-mount, so you could ask your preferred local jeweler for a price quote.
(Stuller is strictly wholesale, but doesn't dictate to retail jewelers what prices they should charge customers & different jewelers charge different mark-ups). The downside is that this will be a special order that your jeweler can't return if you don't like it in person -- although jewelers will sometimes refund the customer if it's a setting they want to add to their showcase.

Does your local jeweler have both the rings you posted in your original post in stock so you've been able to see them in person?

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I would not get the milgrain version & I would not get the one requiring modification. The jeweler either gets the one you like in so no need for mod or you look elsewhere.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen will set outside stones. I think they charge about $100 to do it. The setting will be ordered for the size of stone you have.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was browsing the Internet for you last night, @Tmb2087, I thought none of the James Allen settings that @tyty333 posted were a possibility: because you can't click the Add to cart button, I thought the Valentine's sale prices were only available if you purchased the center stone at the same time as a package deal.

But I just chatted with a JA rep who told me that you can purchase just the settings for the sale price shown. The setting fee is $100 for a round stone less than 7 mm in diameter; for $30, JA will supply you with a label for insured shipping from you to them.

The Valentine's sale ends at midnight EST tomorrow; a phone call is necessary to make the purchase a setting (without center stone) so they can manually set up the order for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results