shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting in yellow gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I thought I read somewhere that it''s okay to go with a lower quality color(I-J) if you are setting the diamond in yellow gold. The prongs would be platinum. Would that have any effect on how the diamond looks? Any help would be appreciated.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ering is and I and it is set in yellow gold with white gold prongs, I dont see any yellow at all in my diamond, it looks very white to me
2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A well-cut I or J stone can go in whatever metal you want as it will face up pretty darn white! You may see some warmth from the side though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 9:42:59 PM
Author: kcoursolle
A well-cut I or J stone can go in whatever metal you want as it will face up pretty darn white! You may see some warmth from the side though.
Ditto

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate the comments. I thought I read that the yellow of the gold will reflect onto the stone, causing a colorless diamond to pick up some color. I was wondering it that was true.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My e-ring stone is an I and it is set in white gold prongs on my yellow gold wedding band. I do not notice any color unless I compare it side by side to my F three stone (set in WG).

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 9:14:20 AM
Author: Sam82
I appreciate the comments. I thought I read that the yellow of the gold will reflect onto the stone, causing a colorless diamond to pick up some color. I was wondering it that was true.
When I researched that I found pretty even both schools of thought
35.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it will - simple optics (the diamond will pick up light reflecting the colour of whatever surrounds it - including your skin and clothes). However, why should that matter? If you are looking at the diamond without comparing it to another stone set in white metal right next to it, you''ll never notice it.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I have an I color stone set in white gold and you really can''t see any color unless you put it next to a colorless stone.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- lower quality color(I-J)---

Lower color does not mean lower quality. There are many people who prefer the warmer color stones. The stone in my avitar is a "P". It is a golden straw color and it''s a fantastic color. I would not want it any other way.

And I think your stone will be fine in white, btw. Drop it into some white and gold settings at the jewelers and see what works for you.

Best, Sonoma

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Not true. I have a D colour ACA set in a ygold setting with plat prongs and I don't see anything but icy icy white.

Garry Holloway has suggested here before that setting lower colour stones in ygold bezel settings can make them appear whiter, as there is not a stark difference between the warm stone and the white metal, but you are not going to make a white stone look yellow by setting it in a yellow metal.

I personally think it makes a stone look whiter as there is more contrast between the stone and the metal, but that's just my preference.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 1:34:01 AM
Author: sonomacounty
--- lower quality color(I-J)---

Lower color does not mean lower quality. There are many people who prefer the warmer color stones. The stone in my avitar is a ''P''. It is a golden straw color and it''s a fantastic color. I would not want it any other way.

And I think your stone will be fine in white, btw. Drop it into some white and gold settings at the jewelers and see what works for you.

Best, Sonoma
I hope you were not insulted by my writing lower quality color. I''m not an expert by any means. It is my understanding that the higher the color the more it costs (of course assuming that all other aspects of the diamonds are the same). The reason why I ask is because the budget will be tight and I want to know where the money should be spent (besides cut quality because I already know that ).

Thanks for everyone for your help and input.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
No, of course not, Sam ! ! Oh dear, I apologize if I sounded "anything".

The higher color grades are more expensive as they are rarer.

What shape are you looking for? The talented and knowledgeable people here are Great at helping pick a stone if you give them your parameters.

Congratulations, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results