shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas?

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Setting ideas for the stone in my recent thread (as seen in pic below). This stone is about 9-10 mm round and looks precision cut.

Guessing probably a synthetic purple spinel. Story on other thread about this stone. I have decided probably a ring.

I do have a few ideas but am open to anything. Any settings that would look nice? Sterling or settings that can be made in sterling please. If any sidestones, they will also be CS. Budget for whole setting no more than $425 if possible.

I don’t want a halo or anything super blingy.

Attachments

• CF20D013-36B1-481D-9903-DBAA0D9500E6.jpeg
    CF20D013-36B1-481D-9903-DBAA0D9500E6.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 81

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would start by taking a look at the Stuller catalog. It's online. Pricing varies by jeweler but they have an online listing of retailers. August vintage will let you see their prices online I think, if you go through their site.

Maybe look at Adwar castings too.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Stuller is the way to go for value. Another option is to look for a mounting pre loved in loupe troop.

I have had a few pieces ordered for me and been pretty happy with the results. Another option is Ivy and Rose although I'm not sure what they have in that size range.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!!

If I go through August Vintage, can they set the stone?

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Alright. How would you set this?

I have three main thoughts.
First: a bezel or halo bezel (with zircon maybe?) pendant

A solitaire ring for middle finger to balance size of stone

A ring with two tiny sidestones.

Can.not.decide

voce

Ideal_Rock
Stuller is currently not shipping out with the shelter in place in Louisiana. Since you have stated you want silver and not necessarily some blinged out halo design, see if you like Daniel M's aesthetic. He has an Etsy shop named danielmjewelry, and he's currently taking orders. His prices are very reasonable, imo better value than Stuller, since for Stuller only jewellers can order, and they'd take a cut of they're ordering for you.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Hi @voce,
Funny you mention Danielm. Two of the aettings I am trying to decide between are from his store. I own. U prong ring in sterling that he set for me also and love.

The first is the bezel diamond halo pendant in sterling. I also like the bezel milgrain but think I would want the halo—maybe in white zircons but maybe, diamonds. It is so reasonably priced but my stone is larger so might need more. I know I said no halos. But I really like that pendant. The bling is so understated.

The second is the large ring (on his site set with a blue topaz). I would put green sidestones in because green was my grandmas favorite color. Emeralds are my first choice, but I am also considering peridot.

The third is a Sally lotus. I keep going back and forth. Any thoughts on what would work best with that stone?

I got a couple of quotes for Stuller as well but just think his are a little more unique.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three choices you mentioned. I would personally pick the trellis ring, since I don't find myself wearing my pendants that much, and you can't see the stone when you're wearing a pendant. I like Sally's aesthetic, but I wouldn't want to ship any of my stones to Asia for work.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks voce! I am leaning toward the trellis ring also, but I do like that pendant and I wouldn’t mind having more nicer pendants. My pendant collection could use something nice
Like that. However I love rings and am still leaning that way.

I wonder if peridot would look nice? Would it be sparklier than emeralds?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Neither green stone you mention is all that sparkly. Demantoid garnet or grossular garnet would both be sparklier. Russian demantoid garnet is quite expensive, so if you want sparkly, I'd look into some lab stone, as the center is suspected lab.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @voce. I was
Going more for keeping cost down over the sparkle factor as well. I don’t feel comfortable setting what is likely a synthetic stone in an enormously expensive serting but want to modernize the ring. Emeralds are so expensive and dont sparkle as much. The center atone is super sparkly. They were her birthstone as well though. Maybe I could get some lab emeralds instead or lab garnets.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would go with moissanite as side stones, as those are really available. And I wouldn't fixate on how sparkly the side stones are, since the center stone should be the sparkler here. Also, for synthetic stones, the appropriate forum is fun fashion jewelry. I had reservations about responding to this thread since we expected the center stone to be man-made.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks voce. I really do want colored sides though. Maybe spinel in some color. Maybe two more amethysts. Or perhaps opals. I love them.

I was thinking something like this.
(See pic). Is that a chrysoberyl? I got it in a pack of gems when i purchased something else.

I havent sent the stone out so i am not sure. I see some inclusions under a loupe, but I suspect it is synthetic...but it may not be. I am guessing now is rnot the best time to send out though. Probably not even open. Stay safe y’all!

Attachments

• 85E54E3F-3F00-448F-B55E-2C02C64546DB.jpeg
    85E54E3F-3F00-448F-B55E-2C02C64546DB.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
To answer your question, that looks like a green garnet to me, not a chrysoberyl.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks voce. Maybe i will ask him if he has anything like that.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Last week a jeweler told me that if I want a ring from Stuller I might not see it until June. No manufacturing until into May (estimated).

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I am not going with a Stuller setting atm.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think small welo opal side stones would look pretty and they are very affordable.

I have a sally lotus which I love but I’d have her maybe make it a bit thicker for a stone that size. You’d probably have to do it in silver to stay in budget as gold is pricey right now.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I decided to go with the Daniel M trellis with peridot sides. I wanted green sides for this particular ring. Got the setting in silver.

I will post pics of the ring when it is done. Thank you for all the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results