shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Ideas for AV Oval

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
Hi!!
My engagement ring was recently stolen, so I’m in market for a new one. I am currently working with Jonathan at August Vintage. I have selected the new vintage oval and it will custom cut in the 2-2.5ct range. My wedding band is a platinum eternity, channel cut baguette set east to west (see pics I posted below). I’m going to have Jonathan do the setting, so the sky is the limit. What setting do you guys think would complement the vintage oval and my band? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! It’s been years (14) since I’ve looked at diamonds and settings. Strange to be in this situation, but I’m having fun with it and trying to make the best of it. Decided not to try and duplicate my original engagement ring because I knew it could never be exact. Oh, and for reference my ring size is 5. B2D38053-59C7-43D2-B454-E82AF94E392D.jpeg

Reactions: AV_

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
I’m sorry about your lost ring. your new diamond will be lovely, congrats!!

I’m sure others will chime in with great suggestions on the setting and that you’ll end up with something gorgeous! It might help to know if you have any thoughts so far - more finger coverage, metal color, style or time period, things you don’t like or do like halos or engraving, etc. Depending on what style you end up with, you might want to pick a vendor at that point so you have one who lines up with the style/ cost/ expertise required.

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
Thanks sunandsky for your reply!

Here are my thoughts so far:
Platinum, solitaire setting. No pave or halo. The reason for that is that I think it might be too busy to introduce a 3rd diamond shape (band is baguette, center stone oval). Let me know if anyone thinks differently. I want 4 claw prongs. And... it needs to coordinate/look intentional with my band. It's really important that I keep the same band, since it's the only part of the set that wasn't stollen. Sounds like a super simple setting to find, but I'm actually having a hard time.

This one is close.. but i would omit the hidden halo and do 4 instead of 6 claw prongs

This is also close... but I would do single prongs and no halo

Hope that helps those reading some direction. I should have included that in the first place.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
personally I think the oval is going to be a knockout and I'd set it with tapered baguettes, but I love the classic look. Jonathan is a good vendor so whatever you 'feel' is best.. REALLY looking forward to seeing your choice, so sorry about your engagement ring.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Tekate-baguettes to make it a three stone. Will tie in beautifully with the band. (Did not know what your prior setting was.)

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
personally I think the oval is going to be a knockout and I'd set it with tapered baguettes, but I love the classic look. Jonathan is a good vendor so whatever you 'feel' is best.. REALLY looking forward to seeing your choice, so sorry about your engagement ring.

Tapered baguettes would look FAB! I love the classic look as well. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Reactions: AV_

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
I agree with Tekate-baguettes to make it a three stone. Will tie in beautifully with the band. (Did not know what your prior setting was.)

My prior engagement ring was a three stone Asscher.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting 8 prong setting

XXX_145_1379189375_1.jpg

I would also consider half moons or step cut shields for side stones

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
I just realized why I like the tapered baguette setting so much. That’s the setting of my sapphire. Darn! It would be silly to have a second ring with the same setting.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love six or eight prongs for an oval that size - I'm imagining something with these prongs that come down into a U shape like a lot of these pics:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of halos and bezel settings for diamonds. Frankly I am old school, stick-in-the-mud regarding engagement ring settings. That being said since your stone is AMAZING (oval is my fave cut for me) you may just want to set it as a solitaire and let the stone sing-less is more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be a little nervous with only 4 prongs on a 2+ ct oval, but I know it's done all the time. I'd make a very elegant basket, maybe like this. I'm still looking around, though.

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
I'd be a little nervous with only 4 prongs on a 2+ ct oval, but I know it's done all the time. I'd make a very elegant basket, maybe like this. I'm still looking around, though.

This is lovely! Much thanks!

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
I am not a fan of halos and bezel settings for diamonds. Frankly I am old school, stick-in-the-mud regarding engagement ring settings. That being said since your stone is AMAZING (oval is my fave cut for me) you may just want to set it as a solitaire and let the stone sing-less is more.

I agree! Definitely decided on the solitaire setting. Now I just need to decide on the details.

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
This is what I’ve landed on. Let me know your thoughts. The last one is a RB, but it’s a good representation of how it would look paired with my band and mixing yellow gold and platinum.
C9195ECC-86AB-4498-BAB2-235605A2F682.jpeg A49AC9AB-3108-43A2-B82E-97545867D179.jpeg 5E182CC3-4749-4116-BDAB-0E38DC98A1E3.jpeg 2D1BFFB7-DB80-4248-BA77-FACDF7FE7722.jpeg

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
It will be lovely!
Personally I would choose all platinum to coordinate with your wedding band, but the setting itself seems like a classic.

Can't wait to see your vintage oval, please come back and post when you get it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results