shape
carat
color
clarity

setting ideas for 2.2 ct OEC

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Y'all!

I have an approx 2.2 ct OEC that I bought about 9 years ago, it was part of a 5 diamond antique pin that the jeweler had broken up and set each stone into vintage type settings. I decided about 3 years ago I did not like the setting so I sold it back to the jeweler but kept the stone, it is a really pretty appearing O/P stone with good clarity. Sadly it has been sitting in a plastic baggy ever since.

I was thinking rose gold maybe for the setting this time, platinum if not rose gold. I really like the Erika Winters grace with shoulder petals or the Single Stone Amanda, I have been to a Single Stone trunk show so I have seen this one in person.

Give me some opinions on rose gold or platinum or suggest some styles for me!

Thanks!

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you share a photo or 2 of the OEC please? How do you feel about warmth? OP would look yummy warm in yellow gold. Though it might look gorgeous in platinum or rose gold too. Just depends on your preferences and the overall tint of your OEC.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I will get a photo up this afternoon, I have the stone hidden so I will get it out and get a photo up, thanks for your reply!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I'm loving the rose gold idea. Love the mounting, don't particularly care for the band shown with it in the photo. Your stone sounds like it is really special, and I kind've feel it should stand out from the color of the mounting so while platinum would certainly be appropriate and expected, the rose gold is going to be such a delicate yet impactful pairing with your diamond IMO.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
My hands look really really bad in winter but there is the stone by a window and in a little less light

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm loving the rose gold idea. Love the mounting, don't particularly care for the band shown with it in the photo. Your stone sounds like it is really special, and I kind've feel it should stand out from the color of the mounting so while platinum would certainly be appropriate and expected, the rose gold is going to be such a delicate yet impactful pairing with your diamond IMO.

I was leaning toward rose gold, didn't really want yellow gold as all my bands are platinum or rose gold and I want to be able to mix it in with those once it is set

The stone is prettier in person that what the above pictures show, I think

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is a beautiful transitional cut.

I vote three stone, but I am biased bc that is how I set my own transitional diamond. I used MRB sides, but you could also use colored gems and it would be stunning.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Your diamond is a beautiful transitional cut.

I vote three stone, but I am biased bc that is how I set my own transitional diamond. I used MRB sides, but you could also use colored gems and it would be stunning.

dreamer5.jpg

Thank you for your reply! I’m not really educated about OEC or different types of old cuts and definitely just went off of what it was sold to me as at the time. It isn’t GIA certified.

Your ring is amazing!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is beautiful! You could do white metal prongs with rose gold shank. Here’s mine, unplated white gold basket, kite set, on rose gold shank.

457071 457069 457067 457074

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I can only think of a colored gold bezel and a white diamond paved halo, & cannot find the ring I would have mentioned as model!

The stone reminds www

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ctd.

This is the ring I could not find half an hour ago: www ... one little great invention.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
ctd.

This is the ring I could not find half an hour ago: www ... one little great invention.

That stone on Instagram is gorgeous! And the halo ring! I’ve had a rose gold band made by David Klass but I’ve just been looking at settings I can just pick out for this ad I’m not really good at describing custom ideas

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
picmonkey-collage6.jpg vatche_ring_-_gallery-culet.jpg

Just kinda throwing stuff out there : )

If I were looking for settings I would check out Lang’s Antiques. Lots of settings there for OECs!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this picture, those bands are so pretty too. I love stacking bands so I’m definitely wanting a setting I can do that with

Me too! Do you like the bands to sit flush, or have a gap?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easy to tell that’s a gorgeous OEC. I love the idea of rose gold, but not sure if rose gold prongs would “go” with the color, which seems to be pale buttery yellow. Does the photo show the true color of the stone? Would you have rose gold prongs, or white prongs on a rose gold ring??

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Me too! Do you like the bands to sit flush, or have a gap?

I think most of mine sit pretty flush but I’m not decided one way or the other I think that’s just how it worked out with the bands I have currently. I have too many but want more!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Easy to tell that’s a gorgeous OEC. I love the idea of rose gold, but not sure if rose gold prongs would “go” with the color, which seems to be pale buttery yellow. Does the photo show the true color of the stone? Would you have rose gold prongs, or white prongs on a rose gold ring??

I think the first picture is closer to what it actually looks like. It doesn’t seem yellow to me in person. I don’t see a ton of warmth in most light either but I’m not the most color sensitive.

I’d love to have one of the lower colored old cuts that can appear as yellow diamonds though!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Bringing back up my own old thread as I was looking through them to say that this stone is with Caysie now and should be back in the next couple of months!

I had thought it was an OEC but she confirms that it's a transitional like the poster above had told me earlier when thread was new.

I am also realizing how bad my hands look in that pic!! I work in a hospital and that was taken pre covid!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bringing back up my own old thread as I was looking through them to say that this stone is with Caysie now and should be back in the next couple of months!

I had thought it was an OEC but she confirms that it's a transitional like the poster above had told me earlier when thread was new.

I am also realizing how bad my hands look in that pic!! I work in a hospital and that was taken pre covid!

what style of setting is she making and what color gold did you go with?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo can’t wait to see!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful stone and I really like that setting, looking forward to seeing it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results