shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for 0.42 carat "jedi" spinel

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Seeing @CBianco's stunning new ring and her bracelet for sale made me jump on her stone's little sister, the 0.42 carat spinel that originally belonged to @lovedogs. While I'm waiting for that to arrive to me, I'm already thinking of setting inspiration! I have never done a custom project, and have only bought pieces secondhand. Although I know this isn't much compared to many people on here, I already have three rings for my right ring finger and am not sure I want another one so I'm thinking of looking at bracelets as well. I wear two delicate diamond bracelets every day and was thinking about something that would stack well with them. I'm not totally opposed to a ring, though, but I don't imagine myself wearing more than one ring on a hand at a time so I think a bracelet might get more use. My worry with the existing bracelet was how dressy it seemed compared to what I already own. So however this stone ends up being set, I would like it to be a special but still reasonably everyday piece, if that makes sense.

The stone (photos courtesy of CBianco). I'll post my own when it arrives! It's 0.42 carats and measures 4.16mmx3.99mm. My hands are big but wrists are small, I'm a 6.75 ring size with long fingers, wrist measures just over 5.75".
20230924_083903-jpg.947201

20230704_122648-jpg.939479

My everyday bracelets that I might want to stack this with (while trying on the YG Frivole bracelet at VCA -- sadly it's not mine!):
IMG_20230623_165752.jpg

The rings I already have to show things I like (I did keep all three from my previous decision-making process when I was only supposed to choose one -- oops!):
pGki0wY.jpeg

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Random rings and bracelets that I have liked that could maybe be adapted. Please suggest any other inspiration photos you might have! Thanks so much! :)

Graff Wild Flowers bracelet:
RGB516_GB11392_Hero_1.jpg

Chaumet Josephine bracelet:
084383_705x705_crop_center@2x.png

Melissa Joy Manning bracelet:
w1365_q60.jpg

Antique cluster bangle:
X1044-1_1.jpg

JuliaB Milgrain Bezel bracelet:
il_1588xN.1231294683_e4xu.jpg

Sofia Zakia Paeonia ring:
peony.jpg

Chanel Camelia ring:
camelia-precieux-ring-white-white-gold-diamond-packshot-default-j11334-9528987648030.jpg

Stephen Webster Thorn ring:
WR1196WGWDSWDPearEmerald.jpg

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Spinels are a 8, so not as hard as sapphires. I would really protect the spinels if you decide to wear them as a bracelet. Even diamonds will chip there. Bezel or cuff is what I have done. Or maybe you’re not as tough on your hands as I am.

I would want to look at those spinels too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a small pink red CS, a cushion cut Balingo Ruby (a pink Sapphire) by Jeff W, and it is too small on its own as a ring for me personally.

Hence I am thinking of setting it in some sort of a bracelet.

I have seen a ring design that I like, can't find a photo anymore, sorry, however, it has a round metal disk with a small stone set in the middle, with star burst engraving radiating from it, which I thought was very pretty.

I am likely to set the stone at 45deg and have diamonds star bursts to boost the bling factor.

The issue I have is that, the disk on its own in a bracelet with a chain is likely to migrate to the underside of the wrist and drive me nuts.

Therefore, I am thinking of setting the disk on a curved bar, then chains on both ends of the bar, so that the bar will sit better on my wrist.

1697874528573.png

DK :))

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Spinels are a 8, so not as hard as sapphires. I would really protect the spinels if you decide to wear them as a bracelet. Even diamonds will chip there. Bezel or cuff is what I have done. Or maybe you’re not as tough on your hands as I am.

I would want to look at those spinels too.

I'm only getting the one spinel, but I'll definitely look at it before deciding on a setting -- I'll probably be dithering about this for a while! But good point on a protective setting for it. I always worry about losing cuff bracelets, but maybe they would be safe if they're sized correctly....

I have a small pink red CS, a cushion cut Balingo Ruby (a pink Sapphire) by Jeff W, and it is too small on its own as a ring for me personally.

Hence I am thinking of setting it in some sort of a bracelet.

I have seen a ring design that I like, can't find a photo anymore, sorry, however, it has a round metal disk with a small stone set in the middle, with star burst engraving radiating from it, which I thought was very pretty.

I am likely to set the stone at 45deg and have diamonds star bursts to boost the bling factor.

The issue I have is that, the disk on its own in a bracelet with a chain is likely to migrate to the underside of the wrist and drive me nuts.

Therefore, I am thinking of setting the disk on a curved bar, then chains on both ends of the bar, so that the bar will sit better on my wrist.

1697874528573.png

DK :))

What a pretty stone! You're lucky that it's square so you can set it on the diagonal. That sounds like a lovely setting, and the curved bar suggestion makes total sense for a bracelet. You gave me a few more search terms to look at!

Gucci Flora bracelet:
581817_J8568_9066_001_100_0000_Light-Gucci-Flora-18k-bracelet-with-diamonds.jpg

Diamond flower cuff (maybe I could find a small melee stone to match the spinel and be the center of the flower):
adjustable-white-gold-open-cuff-bangle-bracelet-with-diamond-flower-b52261ba4yr.jpg

Starburst with curved diamond bars:
STB-1071885WB_2048px_1728x.jpg

Buccellati with something that might be kind of like what dk168 mentioned:
diamond-gold-opera-cuff-bracelet-signed-buccellati-50000-100000-brand-featured-jewelry-designers-shreve-crump-low-692.jpg

Of course this is nothing at all like I originally mentioned, but I used to have a <$100, large flower ring that I wore on my middle finger as a teenager. Time to blow the budget and get an upgrade to that one?
Peony+Ring.jpg

I also liked this Chanel Fil de Camelia ring when I tried it on in person:
fil-de-camelia-ring-diamond-white-gold-packshot-default-j2579-9528988565534.jpg

IMG_20230623_174446.jpg

A similar motif from Shreve Crump and Low:
2.58-carat-Flower-Diamond-Earrings-White-Gold.jpg

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
If you are open to the idea of setting it in a ring/band:
I have a very similar Jedi spinel (color and size-wise) made into a band-singlestone-ring-situation. It's surprisingly good and flexible as a stacker!

I was about to list it on LT but I might have changed my mind when I just took it out for a pic...
1697905964629.png

More info for reference:
This stone is also ~.45ct, a bit more elongated than yours. Ring is size 6.75

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
If you are open to the idea of setting it in a ring/band:
I have a very similar Jedi spinel (color and size-wise) made into a band-singlestone-ring-situation. It's surprisingly good and flexible as a stacker!

I was about to list it on LT but I might have changed my mind when I just took it out for a pic...
1697905964629.png

More info for reference:
This stone is also ~.45ct, a bit more elongated than yours. Ring is size 6.75

It's beautiful, and it's nice to see a stone that size on someone with my ring size! I'll probably realistically end up in a "temporary setting" of some sort of band and then keep it there for a looong time :)

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Another ridiculous (and ridiculously stunning) flower ring, this time by Cartier:

Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 9.54.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 9.54.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 9.55.09 AM.png

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Okay, back to the realm of sanity and then real life instead of jewelry hunting :(

If anyone can think of other floral rings/vendors, let me know! I'm thinking David Klass if I go in this floral pave direction because of Purranha's stunning orchid ring and other pave pieces I've seen, but of course what do I know?

Pippo Perez orchid bracelet:
nm_2722776_100000_b

nm_2722776_100000_m

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results