Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Help

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,378
Hi all! :wavey:

When I went on my stone buying rampage recently, I bought this grossular garnet which I love from John at Gemrite. His picture does not do the stone justice, and I'll have to try and snap a few some time soon. I would describe it as very well cut with great scintillation and sparks and pops. It is a medium mint green - relaxing and soothing. I want to set it in rose gold and I need your help! It has odd dimensions 10x7x5.7. I would love to have it set as a ring and I'm really not too blingey. I'm thinking something simple, like a simple prong halo, very thin with just one row of pave diamonds - in other words, the fairly common type of setting that people seem to purchase fairly easily on ebay. So my question is, before I turn it over to all of you for your wonderful expertise on settings, what size setting would those dimensions fit? Will I be required to go custom (please say no)

And bring on the setting ideas!

TIA

Mint Merelani Garnet.jpg
 
T

talamasca

Guest
Sorry, can't help with setting size, but I love the colour and think it will look fantastic in rose gold :D
 

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
Wow, I have your stone's twin. My dimensions are exactly the same. I ended up with custom and I thought it was pretty cheap (well under 1k using my stones) you also might try someone like Daniel M who seems really well priced. I didn't really try to find a stock setting but because it gets so skinny at the ends you might be able to do an 9x7 oval...but I would not get it from asia where it would be a pain to return if it didn't fit. One thing I have to say is that stone needs some diamonds backing it up like Gladys Knight has the Pips. Great alone...but together amazing!
garn1.jpg
 

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
1,501
Don't know if she had this customized or not, but
I think some folks here have had luck customizing with
this vendor..
this is a setting I particularly love....
and hope to have one day 8-)

mint_garnet_7156a.JPG
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,268
minousbijoux|1305611395|2923753 said:
Hi all! :wavey:

When I went on my stone buying rampage recently, I bought this grossular garnet which I love from John at Gemrite. His picture does not do the stone justice, and I'll have to try and snap a few some time soon. I would describe it as very well cut with great scintillation and sparks and pops. It is a medium mint green - relaxing and soothing. I want to set it in rose gold and I need your help! It has odd dimensions 10x7x5.7. I would love to have it set as a ring and I'm really not too blingey. I'm thinking something simple, like a simple prong halo, very thin with just one row of pave diamonds - in other words, the fairly common type of setting that people seem to purchase fairly easily on ebay. So my question is, before I turn it over to all of you for your wonderful expertise on settings, what size setting would those dimensions fit? Will I be required to go custom (please say no)

And bring on the setting ideas!

TIA
Rose gold!!! It would also be pretty flanked by small pale pink stones. :naughty:
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,378
Ooo-Shiney: I love that setting and would love to have one like it, but I'd be afraid that I'd bend it all up within a few days of owning it, because it looks so delicate... ;(
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,378
TL|1305643991|2923892 said:
Rose gold!!! It would also be pretty flanked by small pale pink stones. :naughty:
Hmm, tell me more...what did you have in mind?
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,268
minousbijoux|1305644251|2923898 said:
TL|1305643991|2923892 said:
Rose gold!!! It would also be pretty flanked by small pale pink stones. :naughty:
Hmm, tell me more...what did you have in mind?
Well, see the ring that Kelpie posted above? Picture that oval with small pink trillions, they can be tourmalines, spinels, etc. . . but baby pink. I would love that!! Lanbo made me an oval rose gold setting with trillion sides, it was very inexpensive after I gave him the measurements. I did it with a spinel and two trillions chrysoberyls. I know this isn't the color combo you want, but it shows you his workmanship, and the look of an oval with trillions.

He actually is selling my setting on his site, but you can tell him to customize it for any size stones.

You may want smaller trillions.

I can't photoshop, but perhaps someone can photoshop Kelpie's photo with pale pink over the diamonds. Pink diamonds would be lush, but if you're on a budget. . . .

Spinelovalwithtrillions.JPG
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,494
I don't think 10x7 mm is a standard setting size but if you go with the usual eBay suspects, customization will not cost and arm or a leg. Etsy is also another affordable option.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,268
Bobkast.com - check out his listings. He has a very affordable pair of pale pink tourmaline rounds. Maybe he can cut some trillions.

It's 20% off the listed price too!! They would look yummy with your tsavorite.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,268
Chrono|1305647602|2923941 said:
I don't think 10x7 mm is a standard setting size but if you go with the usual eBay suspects, customization will not cost and arm or a leg. Etsy is also another affordable option.
It will through LOGR. Lanbo, not as much.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,494
So LOGR is charging a lot more these days for size customizations?
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,268
Chrono|1305648960|2923975 said:
So LOGR is charging a lot more these days for size customizations?
I wouldn't say he just charges a lot more, but he gouges customers on customizations. Very very expensive, and he also charges a $30 fee on top of customizations. He needs to get rid of that fee. Lanbo doesn't charge a fee on top of customizations, and so far, I've found his customization fees very reasonable.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top