shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help who could do this

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking of having Gene cut me a Malaya Garnet (did someone say Bandwagon lol) but a setting here in Australia is way too exy. I want a simple solitaire with maybe some accents diamonds on the band. If I saw a setting from Stuller or Adware what jeweller could I have it set by?
I wondering if Wink would do it or any other suggestion.
Thanks

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shape is he cutting you?

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
TL round I hope. My tourmaline is a cushion so round or oval is my preference and its now an Imperial Garnet not the Malaya!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean an Imperial Malaya garnet? Unless I'm mistaken, not all Malayas are imperial, but all imperials are Malayas. Just double checking because the color is more specific on those, like a light pinkish/peach. Is Gene going to do a star cut on it? If so, then I probably wouldn't bezel it. Are you looking for a halo, simple prong setting? A lot of that depends on how deep the color is. For example, I have two imprerial Malayas from Barry. One is a couple shades lighter than the other, and I think a prong setting is in order for the darker one, but I ordered a halo for the lighter one. It also depends on the degree of pink/orange in the stone if you're thinking of a specific metal color. In my opinion, you might want to have the stone in your hands first before you decide on the setting.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL for your insights! I definitely want a prong setting and wanted it in white gold. I really wanted it all done quickly but I think the reality is that I should "get" the stone sent to me in Australia and ponder the setting once I see the colour. Its just so hard to find a jeweller here in Australia reputable and confident enough to set the stone. I have looked at some settings and they are at best very average but hideously expensive. I thought the LOGR was the way to go but no jeweller that i have contacted will set the stone for me.
AJ had the same problems with her garnet and i may wait to see how her end product turns out. I seriously do not want to pay more than a $1000 for the whole ring it just was a starter project for getting a fabulously cut stone direct from a high class cutter. Thanks for you input as always
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kate darling,
If you change your mind and want to have the gem set in the US, there's Vanguard.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it''s a round, that''s very easy to set and you''ll have tons of options from Stuller and Adwar. Wink will also be able order the setting and get it set easily.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 5:31:54 PM
Author: katebar
Thanks TL for your insights! I definitely want a prong setting and wanted it in white gold. I really wanted it all done quickly but I think the reality is that I should ''get'' the stone sent to me in Australia and ponder the setting once I see the colour. Its just so hard to find a jeweller here in Australia reputable and confident enough to set the stone. I have looked at some settings and they are at best very average but hideously expensive. I thought the LOGR was the way to go but no jeweller that i have contacted will set the stone for me.
AJ had the same problems with her garnet and i may wait to see how her end product turns out. I seriously do not want to pay more than a $1000 for the whole ring it just was a starter project for getting a fabulously cut stone direct from a high class cutter. Thanks for you input as always
1.gif
Hiya kate!
35.gif

If it''s any help, the garnet to which you refer is currently with JM, and he said he''s confident it will be good in a bezel.
However, I''m guessing that a malaya will be a different story to an umbalite - much more "delicate" colour.

I will update hopefully later today on the ETA of that ring
5.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Kate,

I don''t know if this helps, but there is Phillip Schmidt I have a feeling he''s not cheap though.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 9:50:43 PM
Author: Gailey
Kate,

I don''t know if this helps, but there is Phillip Schmidt I have a feeling he''s not cheap though.
No, he''s def. not. lol!
40.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Harriet I didn''t think of this option. Do you think they would set a garnet for me?
Thanks Chrono this is what i thought but I need a jeweller like Wink who can get access to these type of settings
Thanks AJ. Very exciting on your ring. Would you mind terribly giving me a ball park figure on your ring in terms of setting?
I know that the stone + the setting = Big duty if coming into Australia. But I wouldn''t pay duty on the stone on its own or a setting on its own.
Gailey thanks for that! Funnily enough I nearly got Philip to do my upgrade. he does beautiful work but mostly in platinum.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
AJ who was the guy you were going to use in Melbourne? You were happy with him weren''t you but the bush fires got on the way right?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 12:00:04 AM
Hi Harriet I didn''t think of this option. Do you think they would set a garnet for me?
I''m not sure. Give them a ring. How''s their work holding up?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 12:02:57 AM
AJ who was the guy you were going to use in Melbourne? You were happy with him weren''t you but the bush fires got on the way right?
Hi again Kate
5.gif

Wow, good memory!
Yes of course, they are called K&B diamond setters in Collins St. They made BA''s lovely spinel ring.
They are really nice and friendly, and I was confident in what I saw of their work (he sent me some pics of other pieces).
But yes the timeline just wasn''t working due to the fires (completely understandable)
5.gif

You can google them, let me know if you need the ph. nbr.

As for the JM - well, it''s more than 1k US, and less than 1.3.
I don''t expect to have to pay duty on the value of stone + setting, as I have previously imported the stone, then sent it back out -
but I have no idea how I am going to get around this with insurance when its mailed !
Ah well, knock on that door when I get to it I guess.
1.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Harriet I don''t wear it very much * bows head in shame* I keep in the safe with my earrings and pendant and I forget about it lol It looks lovely and got valued at double so the quality is great.
AJ I have the most amazing memory for seemingly inconsequential things (not that your ring is not of great consequence But.......) anyhoo I will email them and see what they say ONCE I have an idea.
I think that I will get it set here. Its too fraught with the whole custom thing and is is a beginning entry level stone so I don''t want to make to much of a big deal.
If I could find someone to set a LOGR setting I would go down this road (Love Yinghs setting) but so far no deal.Can''t wait to see yours

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 10:46:12 PM
Hi Harriet I don't wear it very much * bows head in shame* I keep in the safe with my earrings and pendant and I forget about it lol It looks lovely and got valued at double so the quality is great.
AJ I have the most amazing memory for seemingly inconsequential things (not that your ring is not of great consequence But.......) anyhoo I will email them and see what they say ONCE I have an idea.
I think that I will get it set here. Its too fraught with the whole custom thing and is is a beginning entry level stone so I don't want to make to much of a big deal.
If I could find someone to set a LOGR setting I would go down this road (Love Yinghs setting) but so far no deal.Can't wait to see yours
Hey again - ha ha, I'll say!

So you can't find anyone to agree to set your gem? That sucks ..what city are you in again?
Basically, you can't even bother with retail stores - you need to find where the concentration of manufacturing jewellers
is in your city.
For example, here its London Court in the city, and there's a whole bunch of small operations that do mostly custom work -
if one of the retail storefronts in the mall get a request, they take it to someone in the Court (and charge you a markup, lol)..

If you're not sure - do you have an appraiser? I asked mine for some recommendations, and she was full of helpful
names
5.gif

I hear ya on the customs thing, I'm hoping I'm not going to get bitten badly with this one - btw, JM said not until at least mid april
for my ring
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results