shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Help for New Dan Stair stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I need some setting help. I bought the attached grossular garnet from Dan''s latest drop. I have been wanting a light yellow stone for a while. I am thinking I will probably set it in a ring. I have a couple LOGR halos, so I am thinking of something a little different. It''s about 6.5 mm, so I would prefer something with sidestones rather than a solitaire. I am also open to all metals. Any suggestions?

dsgrossgarnet.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You''ll have to get a little more specific about your taste, cause just saying that you''d like something with a light yellow round stone doesen''t narrow your choices much. BTW, I prefer white metal with most light yellow stones cause they tend to get "lost" in yellow gold.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I am open to lots of different styles - I like to mix it up. My e-ring is a very traditional rb solitaire in a platinum cathedral setting, but I like everything from vintage styles to modern ones. I like halos as well as bezels. Especially with colored gemstones projects that won''t be worn everyday, I like to choose a setting that really highlights the stone best. So I am open to any suggestions!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Budget? Diamond or other colorless sidestones, or colored? (like pale pink pears?
1.gif
)

I have a garnet almost exactly like yours (also a grossular from Dan) and mine is going in a bezel setting as a part of a stacking set with a light-medium pink spinel and a blue-green tourm. I love that color combo (although it is a bit cotton candy-esque
3.gif
)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, since your stone isn''t too big, you could go with some longer side stones - how about tapered baguette diamonds, maybe bar set in yellow gold with a prong set garnet in the center?

That way yellow gold wouldn''t be too noticable, so it might work great eventhough the stone is yellow, and it might even make it a deeper shade of yellow.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Budget is probably a couple of hundred dollars since the stone wasn''t super expensive and I have a few other projects in the works. Probably colorless sidestones. I was thinking about a setting like the one icekid has her gorgeous new sapphire in (ma re - it''s very similar to what you described, prong set center stone with baguette sides), but I''ll have to wait untill I get the stone to make sure there is enough contrast between the yellow and the white sidestones.

Slight threadjack - BEG - I have seen your collection and I think we have similar taste in gemstones. One of these days I''ll get around to posting my collection (btw - I was an associate at a big NYC firm for several years - that''s where you are headed, right? I have since moved out of NYC and gone in house, but I loved it for the few years I was there.)

I do love the stacking ring idea, but I have super tiny hands and I am afraid a 6.5 mm stone would be too big for a stacking ring for me.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about a basic three stone with smaller side diamonds? Or just small diamonds on the shank?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I just read your budget so maybe a three stone with diamonds won''t work. But smaller ones on the shank would. Or what about no diamonds and really pretty engraving on the shank?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:44:57 AM
Author: NovemberBride
Budget is probably a couple of hundred dollars since the stone wasn''t super expensive and I have a few other projects in the works. Probably colorless sidestones. I was thinking about a setting like the one icekid has her gorgeous new sapphire in (ma re - it''s very similar to what you described, prong set center stone with baguette sides), but I''ll have to wait untill I get the stone to make sure there is enough contrast between the yellow and the white sidestones.

Slight threadjack - BEG - I have seen your collection and I think we have similar taste in gemstones. One of these days I''ll get around to posting my collection (btw - I was an associate at a big NYC firm for several years - that''s where you are headed, right? I have since moved out of NYC and gone in house, but I loved it for the few years I was there.)

I do love the stacking ring idea, but I have super tiny hands and I am afraid a 6.5 mm stone would be too big for a stacking ring for me.

I like the idea of baguettes. On metal color, I was tempted to set my grossular in rose gold in the hopes that it''d bring out more of the yellow but ended up just going for sterling for all my stacking rings. But it''s something to consider
1.gif
I''ll keep looking around to see if I can find something - it provides me a with a nice break from studying income tax!

I hope you post your collection pics soon - I''d love to see them! And yep, heading to NY (it''s kind of scary though hearing about all the lay-offs
32.gif
, fortunately not at my firm but if the economy keeps tanking....). I wish we had private messaging! I''d love to ask you more about where you worked and what it was like!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 11:45:15 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
How about this?
I have a setting exactly like that (it holds an emerald), but the ribbons are in 18K yellow gold and the shank and head are platinum. I think that setting would look great if it was all in 18K yellow gold with the ribbons on the shank in white gold, or even the head in 18K yellow gold.
31.gif
I would like to highlight the yellow color.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
November:

How is the dispersion on that stone? Is it much darker than in Dan''s photo. It''s really nice, btw ! !

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I am really liking those baguette settings. Once I get the stone I will probably order one.

Sonoma - I have not received the stone yet, but based on past stones I have gotten from Dan I am expecting it to be somewhat darker. Here is his description - "This is a very brilliant pastel yellow grossular garnet that shows lots of diamdond-like dispersion or spectral color flashes." The description was part of what sold me - I love stones that reflect lots of colors!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:20:29 PM
I am really liking those baguette settings. Once I get the stone I will probably order one.

Sonoma - I have not received the stone yet, but based on past stones I have gotten from Dan I am expecting it to be somewhat darker. Here is his description - ''This is a very brilliant pastel yellow grossular garnet that shows lots of diamdond-like dispersion or spectral color flashes.'' The description was part of what sold me - I love stones that reflect lots of colors!

November, Dan said mine was very light, almost colorless, and in sunlight it looks like a warmish diamond (indoors, much warmer). I think yours will be gorgeous! When do you get it?

ma re

Ideal_Rock

Hm, you noticed it too
2.gif
OK, I admit it, that ring made me suggest tapered baguettes
9.gif
, cause they just do a great job of accentuating pastel gems. They''re just as calm and elegant. And Icekid really nailed it with sizes, proportions and colors, don''t you think? It''s one of the nicest things I saw lately on this forum, and that''s a huge compliment considering all the gem experts around here.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 1:08:16 PM
Author: ma re

Hm, you noticed it too
2.gif
OK, I admit it, that ring made me suggest tapered baguettes
9.gif
, cause they just do a great job of accentuating pastel gems. They''re just as calm and elegant. And Icekid really nailed it with sizes, proportions and colors, don''t you think? It''s one of the nicest things I saw lately on this forum, and that''s a huge compliment considering all the gem experts around here.
aww! That is such a huge compliment! (Am I a weirdo that it actually made me blush a little too? hehe) And I am glad to be of a little inspiration. I definitely agree, ma re, that the baguettes set off the more pastel colors beautifully!

November- I think that would be a lovely way to set your garnet. I haven''t bought from americanset, but have heard that the quality fairly nice. Especially considering they have such reasonable prices!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
another vote for the baguette setting
3.gif

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so while browsing for various baguette settings for this stone (I am not going to buy until I get the stone, am sure I like it and that I want to set it in white gold with sidestones), I went ahead and bought this new setting. It''s not for this stone, in fact I don''t even have a stone to fit it, but it was a good price and I couldn''t pass it up. What do you think?

newLOGRsetting.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:21:20 PM
Ok, so while browsing for various baguette settings for this stone (I am not going to buy until I get the stone, am sure I like it and that I want to set it in white gold with sidestones), I went ahead and bought this new setting. It''s not for this stone, in fact I don''t even have a stone to fit it, but it was a good price and I couldn''t pass it up. What do you think?

Ooh I like that! How about something dark green or a bright blue in there?
1.gif

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking the same thing, or maybe a bright red? I am definitely seeing something with a deep color in there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty setting - sounds like you got a good price. Did you buy it now, or win it on auction? His prices have gone up so much lately. I was gone for just a week hoping to get a setting when I got back, and I thought it wouldn't change price at all. Figures that the week I'm gone it goes up $22.
20.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a cute setting. I like the "flower" like design around the center oval.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
NB

I am looking forward to seeing your own pictures of your new stone, it sounds lovely and I have a feeling that Dan''s photo is not doing it justice.

I''m a big fan of yellow and white together. one thing you might consider is 19k un-rhodiumplated gold. I believe Coati''s lovely James Meyer ring is un-plated. I hope she doesn''t mind me posting a picture - hers is a ring I never tire of seeing.

coatisbeautybyjm101.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:21:20 PM
Nice! Unlike you, I see something cheerful and bright in there - maybe a peridot, to make it even more florally (is that even a word?) and ready for spring (unless you live in southern hemisphere, off course). But let''s take it one stone at a time
2.gif

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so I am considering 2 baguette settings. They are essentially the same price and I can''t decide. Thoughts? The first is LOGR. I have been mostly ahppy with the things i have purcahsed from him, and the things I haven''t been happy with have been easy to return. I have never purchased from AmericanSet, but I think a few others on here have and have been happy.

logrbaguettesetting.jpg

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the AmericanSet

Americansetsetting.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the second one, cause it seems like it''s done better (but it could be just a better photo), but also cause it looks like it''s shank is slightly curved, which IMO works better with round (read: curvy) stones than the LOGR one.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Lovely...like the second one also.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More delicate or something...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
#2!! it definitely looks like it was crafted better - and more delicate like Freke said.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results