shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help for french cuts

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PSer's. I'm expecting these 3 french cuts to be delivered any day now. Usually I have a fairly good idea of what I want as far as a setting but I'm really struggling as I want to do these stones justice.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf8vwgpn9R8/?taken-by=gemconcepts

They are small. The sides are 4.2mm and the center is about 4.8 (not sure exactly what size it turned out). Anyway, I love the look of this ring below and was thinking I could put the three stones in bezels like the center but I'm not sure if that will work since all of my stones are square. I'm also wondering if I will need to add something more to the sides of the side stones. My finger is a 5.75. Do you think I could do the three stones in the square bezels like below and then add small rectangular bezels on either end with a few tiny single cuts? Also, should I have a tri-wire shank or something just plain? I'm told that bezelling (is that a word) the three should total across about 15.6 but really 15.2mm allowing for the bend that the ring will require. Is that enough? Or do I need the side rectangles added? Any other setting ideas are also welcome. I appreciate any input you can give.
top.jpeg

I found this one with rounds and I think the bezels are too thick but perhaps I can work with it to make it something a bit trimmer?

three stone with mill grain.jpg

Attachments

• three stone with mill grain.jpg
    three stone with mill grain.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they would make a kick ass three stone bezelled like you’re suggesting. Who are you looking at to do the setting?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well as I mentioned I usually know pretty much what I want and DK has always come through but he is very literal and if I need design help I will reach out to Caysie I think.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the 1st setting. Just as a visual, here are the size of the stones you your finger size. The settings you posted have MUCH bigger stones. 4.8 on left 5.98 on right (assumes you add 1 mm in each direction).

upload_2018-3-9_8-27-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-9_8-26-51.png
    upload_2018-3-9_8-26-51.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 35

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. Yes I realize they are much bigger but they are the only ones I could find with the type of bezel I’m thinking about. Thats why I was thinking I might need to add something more to the sides next to the side stones.
If the ring diameter of 16.9 is correct my stones with bezels will take up all but 1.7mm. To much left over?

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think a thin graduated bezel would be awesome.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had DK do a CAD to give me idea of finger coverage and I do think that I need to add something more to the sides. Here is the CAD and then beneath, just a mock up of two shapes (one one either side to compare) I could add to the sides and set with single cuts. Do you think either would look cohesive and give me the finger coverage I am looking for. I know this is a small ring but I do want coverage from side to side. I think I like the rectangle best, but would love ideas.
CAD.jpg.jpg
practice sides.png

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here is an updated CAD with the side detail. Any thoughts? The ring will be platinum. The added detail will have single cuts (if I decide to add the side detail) and the shank will be engraved. CAD reduced.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I like the baguette (rectangle) most. Will you put a baguette or elongated french cut there?
Second preference is the pair of single cuts.
I LOVE the side view of the gallery - those triangular struts look beautifully deco.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Foxinsox...I like the baguette shape first and then 2 single cuts second.

Your french cuts are beautiful!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I like the baguette (rectangle) most. Will you put a baguette or elongated french cut there?
Second preference is the pair of single cuts.
I LOVE the side view of the gallery - those triangular struts look beautifully deco.
I had thought the single cuts because I didn't know if the elongated french cuts that DK could find would have the same flavor as the square french cuts. I don't think I'd use regular baguettes. So perhaps I will see if he can find two small rectangular french cuts and if not, go with the single cuts. I wish I could see both options.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
33E2D4D2-3A6C-4DAD-BD93-18ECE410E46C.jpeg The plastic model that DK made arrived. I think I do need to ad the rectangular shape on either side. But it has to be quite small so I actually think the two tiny single cuts on either side might be best. I don’t think rectangular French cuts this small will look like much.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it with the small rectangular shape on each side, inside of which sit the two single cuts. You might even be able to do one more, smaller one on the outside of that, on each side.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the rectangular sides as well. I wonder if they will be so small that the slight difference in cut will not be seen with your eye at normal viewing distance? I love the stones! Can David get them cut similar?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it with the small rectangular shape on each side, inside of which sit the two single cuts. You might even be able to do one more, smaller one on the outside of that, on each side.
I thought about that too. I will ask. These are really small so I just don’t know.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the rectangular sides as well. I wonder if they will be so small that the slight difference in cut will not be seen with your eye at normal viewing distance? I love the stones! Can David get them cut similar?
The three were cut by Yoram and I think getting him to cut such small rectangular stones is not practical.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Lookinagain,

Someone nice pointed me to your thread.
Although the finger coverage looks just like we expected and I envisioned, may I ask what is the mm. size OEC’s you are considering for the sides?
The look to me around 1.50mm?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost wonder if two tiny square French cuts would be better than two single cuts or one elongated French cut?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lookinagain,

Someone nice pointed me to your thread.
Although the finger coverage looks just like we expected and I envisioned, may I ask what is the mm. size OEC’s you are considering for the sides?
The look to me around 1.50mm?
Hi
I honestly don’t know but will ask. I know they will be tiny based upon the space that there is to work with. I will ask though.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost wonder if two tiny square French cuts would be better than two single cuts or one elongated French cut?
that's another good idea. I've written to ask the size of the tiny rounds to get an idea of what I am really looking for.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diagem You were spot on, of course! Those little round stones are 1.5mm. Do you have any thoughts for me?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very honestly, looking at your plastic model on your hand, I do not think you need to add extra bezeled stones to the sides at all. I really like it with three and that covers the top of your finger quite well!

You are very lucky to have Yorman's french cuts! I look forward to seeing this ring finished!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very honestly, looking at your plastic model on your hand, I do not think you need to add extra bezeled stones to the sides at all. I really like it with three and that covers the top of your finger quite well!

You are very lucky to have Yorman's french cuts! I look forward to seeing this ring finished!!

You may be right, but the photo makes it look like a bit move coverage than what my eyes see. When I look down, I see more of the shank than I like. Like what the first CAD shows. I can't capture it in a photo but it is what I see looking down, if that makes sense. And I have another 3 stone ring with that issue and it irks me a bit. I know I am VERY lucky to have Yoram's french cuts. That is why I am trying to make the setting perfect.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sure that they will!

Hi Lookinagain,
Are the Diamonds already at your jeweler? If yes, please inform me with their address and I’ll send 4- 1.50mm French Cuts for your ring.
Just make sure 1.50mm are fine.

I remember your concern with the finger coverage and I want to make sure you feel great with your new French Cut ring.

Best~ Yoram

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Lookinagain,
Are the Diamonds already at your jeweler? If yes, please inform me with their address and I’ll send 4- 1.50mm French Cuts for your ring.
Just make sure 1.50mm are fine.

I remember your concern with the finger coverage and I want to make sure you feel great with your new French Cut ring.

Best~ Yoram

And that’s how you do customer service.

You’ve just guaranteed me as a future customer at some point @diagem (although admittedly your stones did that all by themselves some time ago!).

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Diagem,
What a wonderful offer and I so appreciate it. I will write to my jeweler and then communicate with you by email. Thank you so much.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is going to look stunning! I wish I could get also an asscher once from Yoram! They are just incredible!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results