shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for Princess ( 4 prong or v)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

imspqr

Rough_Rock

frizzy_dt

Rough_Rock
I have a similar ring (all princess stones) and I love the look and protection of the v-prongs.

AmPm

Rough_Rock
Very elegant setting, I also love the look and security of the 'V' prong it really complements a princess cut.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
V-prong is the way to go! The single prong style is not really sufficient to provide adequate protection for the delicate tips of the princess cut diamonds... Further down the road, dismounting the diamond from a single prong style head would result in damage to the tips, but this possibility is significantly lessened by using the v-style prongs.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I respectfully have to be the voice of dissent here. I abhor the V-cap. My princess ring looked so clunky with them, and I had them reset with small prongs and my stone looks bigger. I had my princess earrings (1ctw) set with small prongs as well, and I like it so much better than the v-cap. It doesn't say "hi! big metal prongs here!" and you just notice the stone.

Ah, but go with what you love, I just offered my opinion, so you are free to take it with a grain of salt. Or, if it pleases you, add some lime, ice, and tequila and make that a margarita!
appl.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
oh, and my jeweler said these prongs are safe, the types of things that could knock a stone loose are the reasons we insure our rings!

Greg G

Rough_Rock
I like the V-prong setting as well. The only other setting I saw covered the corners so you loose the shape of the princess cut. For pictures of my girl's stone set in V-prong check out:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yay-i-did-it-come-check-out-my-ring.5208/

-Greg

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Greg,

Such a gorgeous ring! I bet your fiance is THRILLED!

V-cap or tiny prong is just a matter of preference...Would you like cream or sugar in your coffee? :) I take mine black.

My tiny prongs do cover the corners, but the shape of the stone is not affected at all.

With your setting, the v-cap provide a nice accent and balance to the setting.

Congrats! When's the big day????????????????

Greg G

Rough_Rock
The big day is Saturday - that's the day I propose! The next big day is to be determined but I'm guessing spring 2004.

-Greg

PS - Cream and sweet an low in my coffee thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results