shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for pear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stuckinthistown

Rough_Rock
Hello. This is the first time we''ve bought a diamond, so lots of questions...
We''re purchasing a pear for an engagement ring, and I''m just wondering about the setting.
I have heard that it''s best to set pears with a v-type prong on the tip to protect it, and this is what our jeweler is recommending. However, I''m just wondering if this tends to adversely affect scintillation or light return? Do these types of settings tend to detract at all from the beauty of the rings?
Is this the most common and most advisable way to set a pear? I definitely don''t tend to be too delicate with my hands, so the protection factor is appealing; yet of course, I want it to look as beautiful as possible.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Chris
loopy.gif

Rook

Shiny_Rock
IMO,

I would not think the v-prong, or any prong would have any effect on the light return. Unless it was bezel set or something.

I have heard most people recommend the v-prong. Every local jeweler and one appraiser. But, Mark Morell, the jeweler I plan on using recommends the standard style. If I get a chance I will dig up his explaination.

stuckinthistown

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for your advice, Rook.
The setting has tiffany-style prongs, with what I believe is called an "airline" feature- the stone is held up very high, allowing lots of light to travel through. I guess it should be fine. If you do happen to find out why your jeweler recommends the other type of setting, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks!
Chris
wavey.gif

Rook

Shiny_Rock
"I do not feel that "V" prongs afford as much protection for a pointed end stone as the type that you see in the photo you have sent. The prong style that I use is much thicker and more durable that the typically much thinner metal used in standard "V" prong settings. I feel that my prongs act as a better "bumper" to protect against impact and that they will last for a much longer period of time."

From Mark Morell.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results