shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for AV Emerald Cut Moissy

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I decided to go for it and get an vintage emerald cut moissy from August Vintage. Special thanks to @bludiva for pointing me towards AV. I'm getting a 1.5 vintage cut with a 1.30:1 ratio. It's a chunky cut with beautiful clipped corners. I'm attaching a picture of the look. I'm wondering if it will look nice in the setting I originally had in mind? Which is basically a white gold solitaire basket mounting please see the picture. Do you think the vintage emerald cut will look good in this setting? Is there a setting you have seen these in before that has a similar feel? Thank you so much for all of your help!! :wavey: 20181210_123031.jpg 20181210_125803.jpg 20181210_125837.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a classic setting, I think it'll be beautiful - post pics!!! :geek2:

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock

Looooovve this. I'm having visions of custom french cut onyx :whistle: Oh my!

But for you Sirenagirl, I agree that a double prong would give it more of a vintage feel. Single prongs may also just sit weirdly in the center of the clipped corners, so agree with MTG here.
I personally always vouch for a bezel on anything octagonal/clipped. Don't want to hide that beautiful shape! But prongs would also be very classic/classy....

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
That's a classic setting, I think it'll be beautiful - post pics!!! :geek2:
Thank you!! I most definitely will. May take a little while to set but I will definitely show my Pricescope friends

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @MakingTheGrade. I've been looking into the double and tab prongs. Good suggestions. Love your taste in jewelry! You have such a fun & unique flare.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
@elliefire99 did you receive your ring yet? I'm excited for you! Thanks for your thoughts. So if I did double prong would that mean I go the custom route? I've been looking into some stock mountings. Just to make things easier and simplify lol

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
@elliefire99 did you receive your ring yet? I'm excited for you! Thanks for your thoughts. So if I did double prong would that mean I go the custom route? I've been looking into some stock mountings. Just to make things easier and simplify lol

Nooo... it's still in Brussels D: The three days didn't count the weekend. Boo. Obsessively tracking it on DHL hahah.

In terms of double prongs, I think some companies (I can't think of who atm, but I know I have definitely seen it) offer double/split prongs as an add-on or modification to a stock setting. For many others, a small change like that would be considered semi-custom and won't come with a full custom price tag. If you find a setting you love, I would definitely just reach out and ask, especially if they are the direct manufacturer.

I would also reach out to Jon. Since the custom cut is going to take a few weeks anyway. He has relationships with Stuller, and my feeling is that they most likely have some split prong settings. If not, I think Jon is able to work with them for customization. (If I understand correctly, that is what @Starfacet did for her Brenna setting with Jon. Is that right?)

Double prongs are definitely a bit more work, but I think totally worth it! (In the end up to you of course :) )

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
NSEW prongs would be beautiful and you could really showcase the corners that way :kiss2:

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
It already features the double prongs! :appl::appl:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squee! My Avec is done, did he finish yours too? Are you getting the setting through him?

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Squee! My Avec is done, did he finish yours too? Are you getting the setting through him?
I wasn't originally going to. But I decided I am. I want the Christine setting. Is your setting Schuler? Have you seen any pics? I haven't.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not getting the setting done right now due to budget reasons so the loose stone is headed my way :)

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I went with this setting for my AV EC. I asked Jonathan to set it lower. I'm expecting it mid January and I cannot contain my excitement!!!
Screenshot_20190105-121125_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190105-121111_Chrome.jpg

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I cannot contain my excitement as I wait for my emerald cut moissanite to arrive. I'm seriously going bonkers. I've had plenty of time to over think things lol. I'm planning on pairing my emerald cut platinum band with my white gold emerald cut moissy. Do you guys think that will look alright? The band is diamonds. I planned on wearing the two together but now I'm wondering if it won't look nice because the different metals and the fact that I will mix diamond/moissy? :confused2: What do you think? Here is the wedding band. 20190204_123550.jpg 20190204_124100.jpg

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
My apologies for my dry hands. I wish I had dainty fingers.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I think the two different metals will be just fine unless you are very sensitive to colours and do not like it.

When I first got married we couldn't afford me a new
wedding band so I used a diamond and white gold ring I had. I could see a slight difference in the metals but didn't give a crap. It still looked lovely. My diamonds were different coloured from each other too. No big (for me anyway) Both still sparkled and looked nice together.

Sooooo... that's my long winded way of saying I think it will be pretty putting your two rings together! And also don't worry about your hands. They're normal nice looking hands. I know it seems like everybody is a size 3 or 4 but that's because it's the internet and everybody can congregate and share! (Which is wonderful. I love seeing everybody's rings. Small hands, big hands, everything in between) :)
Can't wait to see how your ring turned out!:kiss2:

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @MeowMeow. Since I'm in this waiting mode I've gone into wayyyyyy overthinking mode. I appreciate your reassurance. I will get on her ASAP with my ring photos. I hope that it will arrive by the end of next week.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the mixed metals & the moissy & diamond will look fine together. I have a platinum ring that I wear w/ white gold...I had it rhodium plated recently while it was being polished up but before when it was greyer it was really hard to tell the difference. And if you can and it bothers you, rhodium plating is relatively inexpensive. And I believe small emerald stones whether moissy or diamond would behave pretty similarly (more white shimmer, less colored fire) so I don't think there is much difference there either. Looking forward to seeing pics!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I have never mixed platinum and wg, but I am so so SO excited to see the moissy when it comes!! From a design perspective, I think they will look lovely together :)

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I think the mixed metals & the moissy & diamond will look fine together. I have a platinum ring that I wear w/ white gold...I had it rhodium plated recently while it was being polished up but before when it was greyer it was really hard to tell the difference. And if you can and it bothers you, rhodium plating is relatively inexpensive. And I believe small emerald stones whether moissy or diamond would behave pretty similarly (more white shimmer, less colored fire) so I don't think there is much difference there either. Looking forward to seeing pics!
I appreciate your thoughts. Good to hear you've mixed white gold with platinum before and it looks good!=)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results