shape
carat
color
clarity

setting for a 9.6 mm square cushion?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
My dear ladies,

I've been a silent reader this section of the forum for a while now, and very much enjoyed your conversations ::)
At this point, though, I've got to call your experience in!

I'm trying to find an antique style setting for a square cushion stone of 9.6mm. So far I've had a hard time: I've seen few settings that can accomodate a square cushion of this size, and most of them are either 9 or 10 mm, so I am not sure they could guarantee a proper fit. What do you think?

Also, I was not entirely in love with any one of them.

Do you have any ideas regarding where I could go take a look?

Thank you!! :)

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to add: it's 8 mm deep!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it 9.6 mm diagonally or is that the LxW measurement? Depending on your answer (and if the corner is rounded or more pointy), it could be the 9 mm or 10 mm setting. 8 mm is very deep relative to the LxW and typically won't fit into a calibrated setting but if the prongs are long enough, it can be set up a bit higher to accomodate the depth.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chono! I believe it's the LxW measurement, but I'll need to check this :sick: and here you see my total inexperience.. :nono:
no idea about the pointiness of the culet. I'll ask that too! thanks a lot for your input! I'll come back asap.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
ups! I realized you were asking about the corners, not the culet! they look quite soft to me (it's sarahbear's aqua in the preloved section!), but I could be wrong..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 9.6 mm JW spessartite cushion that fell completely though the 10 mm setting but fit the 9 mm setting just fine. I don't recall the depth although I doubt it is anywhere near 8 mm deep, likely to be about 6 mm or so only.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
the only setting that came to my mind that I assume would be able to fir such a large stone is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQpcxBioAsg&feature=youtu.be
but I'm not so sure of how it would look with the stone.
Given the cut I was more leaning towards an antique style setting or a more sleek, modern mounting, maybe in rose gold (as Sarah was suggesting, and rightfully,I think!!)

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1356020487|3336533 said:
I have a 9.6 mm JW spessartite cushion that fell completely though the 10 mm setting but fit the 9 mm setting just fine. I don't recall the depth although I doubt it is anywhere near 8 mm deep, likely to be about 6 mm or so only.

Hi Chrono! that's good to know.. uww.. the setting above is a 10 mm. It's hard to imagine whether 2 more mm of depth would make a difference here and call for a 10 mm setting..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cannot fit a cushion into a round setting, but I think you are only looking for design ideas at this point? Before even considering the depth, if the 10 mm setting is too wide, it is useless if the depth fits. I had to return a LOGR 10 mm setting because the stone is too small (LxW) for it. It fell completely past the prongs and sat squarely inside the basket, so I had my local jeweller find a standard 9 mm Stuller setting. After a few years, I had WF create a custome setting for me because the workmanship of the Stuller was very disappointing.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
ouch! I actually thought it could work, given that it's a prong setting.. where did you source the setting for your 9.6mm stone, if I may ask?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried LOGR (Lord of Gem Rings on eBay), Stuller and Whiteflash.

wf_reset.jpg

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
I'll take a look! thanks for your help! :))

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I hope you don't mind me adding in you might want to check out Daniel M on etsy or some of the other etsy vendors. Daniel M is not antigue settings at all, but I was going to have him set it into a solitare till I had better ideas. His prices are very good in silve and gold if you are on a budget. For silver I think the quote was very reasonable. Once again though his style is more modern. However, other PSers can probably recommend other etsy shops with a more antique look that you seem to be going for.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sarah, thanks!! I'll take a look at his Etsy shop :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results