shape
carat
color
clarity

setting diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tim_bay_area

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I was considering buying a diamond online and then having it set at a local store. Now what I understand that most stores make you sign off that if a something happends to a stone when it is being set they are not liable. how often does something like that happen?
thanks
tim

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
If its a princess cut or a diamond with corners (pear , marquise ect)your odds are higher to chip it then a round.

tim_bay_area

Rough_Rock
thanks, It would be a round diamond. I am just wondering becuase I know I would get a better deal online. But if I am the 1 guy out of a 100 whose diamond gets damaged i will be pissed

AnnaMagdalena

Rough_Rock
Maybe it's worth it for you to establish insurance on the stone prior to setting. I actually did not do that because my fiance was comfortable with the risk...I know, gasp. But it's his money! I've heard a lot of people recommend Chubb insurance.

-Anna Magdalena

tim_bay_area

Rough_Rock
I quickly looked at buying insurance at jewelers mutual. the plans they sell wont cover unset stones, maybe someone else will. Makes me wonder if the risk of damage is considerably more than i thought

JasonL

Rough_Rock
I'd keep checking around. I found one that took full responsiblity if something were to happen. He was also suprised that some places wouldn't cover their work. Try and find nice jeweler away from a mall. That's what I had to do.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Tim, if you're near downtown SF, go to Shreve's. Their service is second to none when it comes to such things.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results