• 20k YG bezel N/S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WG prong-setting with frenchies N/S

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Dear PS friends,
As some of you know, I currently have a 2.44 carat antique marquise on layaway with JbG: :love:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-44ct-antique-marquise-cut-diamond-gia-i-vs2#.V7dwvVfYklY

I've named her Athena (I was in Athens when the decision was made) She is scheduled to be mine by November. So far so good. :)

Originally, I had chosen to put Athena in a custom 20k milgrain bezel with knife-edged band - comme ça EXCEPT N/S instead of E/W:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/1-10ct-antique-marquise-cut-diamond-bezel-ring-gia-l-vvs2#.V7dv-1fYklY

Then the other day, the lovely Grace posted this, and I just about died: :o :o :o :o :o

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJPDkn3AcEB/?taken-by=jewelsbygrace

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJOKjB8A2CZ/?taken-by=jewelsbygrace

I LOVE LOVE LOVE frenchies and have a thing for diamonds on the shoulders. So I wrote Grace and the price difference isn't that much - not enough to deter me in any case (I was actually hoping that it would be so my mind would be made-up for me...but nope). SO I have to decide by Monday and I am in crisis. Please help! :shock:

Some considerations and questions besides your vote:

1. I envision the bezel in YG but the frenchie setting in WG. Thoughts? Will WG look fine with Athena who is an I colour?
2. Would the bezel be so much more protection for Athena that it is worth getting just on that basis?
3. I worry that the bezel setting will overwhelm the diamond somewhat, and won't look engagement ring-y enough - hence my leaning towards the frenchie setting. Thoughts?
4. I think I am set on N/S (this orientation looks lovely in Grace's pics) but as Pinto said recently sometimes this can look slightly like a you-know-what :oops: - although I think Athena is chubby enough not to... Thoughts?

THANK YOU for helping a girl out and voting... Any thoughts are deeply appreciated.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
The bezel is the best way to protect your mq-- and I don't see an issue with mixing metals, my first ering was a JBEG Bella halo with a rose gold halo while everything else was plat. Grace is great with proportions and I am sure she wouldn't overwhelm your stone even in a bezel. I am getting a setting with french cuts as well so I understand the allure of them. Do yo have enough finger space so that you can see the french cuts when looking down on the ring? Something to consider (finger real estate).

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your stone :love: . A few thoughts....do you have a jewelry store near by you can try on some bezel settings and a setting similar to the 3 stone with frenchie side look? It would probably be baguettes but that's fine since you just want to get an idea of what these two settings will look like on you and what you gravitate towards. Both are such beautiful looks!! Also, I'm a bit concerned about the softness of 20K gold in an every day e-ring, just a consideration though. And can you extend your decision? Curious why you only have until Monday to decide?? This is such an important decision to rush, lol!!

Edit to add....I think WG will look fine with an I. I have an M OEC that's in platinum and it looks great! It does seem to make the stone appear whiter just as an fyi.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for your replies!!!!!

1. ROL: Excellent point- never thought of that! I have a 5.5 finger and my MQ is 7.2 across when set N/S. I just measured my finger and it looks like the frenchies would fit mostly on the front of my finger, but admittedly it would be a bit of a tight fit.

2. JDDN: Thank you! I also love that stone - she was calling my name for months. I have until Monday because that's when Grace is set to send Athena out to be set. I need the ring done for the first week of November (long story short: I live in NYC and my BF is coming that weekend for a "surprise proposal" - a surprise for everyone except me). ETA: I have tried on both bezel and prong-set...and I love both. #firstworldproblems

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
I love that setting with the tapered french cut shoulders - that would be my choice. I have a feeling it might look best in white metal, and my choice would be platinum because of the easy care. It could look great in a deep yellow gold too, though! What I wouldn't do is white gold, I think unplated WG won't have the pop of YG or an icy white metal, and rhodium dipped WG will have maintenance.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three stone a la Harry Winston with those frenchies. Mmmm. Yummie :lickout: :lickout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting with the side french cuts about 100 times more than the other one for your beautiful stone!!! :love: Beautiful diamond! (I'd be sure to get V-prongs on the N-S ends of the marquise to protect it.)

People have side baguettes with 3 ct round diamonds, so you will be absolutely FINE with side french cut baguettes with a 7.2mm wide diamond. The thing is, french cuts are often custom cut to be exactly the right length for the design. So you shouldn't have any worries about that part at all. A massive number of people here have I color and lower set in white metal, so that is not an issue, either. I would recommend platinum over white gold if you go with all white metal, though. I think the head and prongs for the stones should be white metal, and the shank certainly can be either white gold or yellow gold.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it just has to be the second ring. Oh my, what a stunner it is going to be. Such a magnificent and uncommon marquis deserves those fabulous French cuts. How exciting for you. And don't wear your sparkly when driving lest either you or the car passing be mesmerised by its beauty.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your beautiful stone deserves those french cuts. It will look stunning!
Indeed make sure the tips of your diamond are protected well with the right prongs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have to say I prefer the tapered french cuts. I just don't like most V prong settings for marquise. So many are poorly done. I would have Grace make the v prongs as thin and delicate as possible, if you are going to do them. I would also do 6 prongs so you can keep the V prongs as delicate as possible.

I like the proportions on this ring, personally. And I love the shape of your marquise.

rng119949av-1l.jpg

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Fulvia, as much as I adore my own bezel setting, I so hope get the fenchies!!! :love: :love: :love:

I'd also vote for platinum, but if you prefer WG, I think unplated WG would look amazing, too.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
First off, thank you all SO MUCH for taking the time to reply. Yesterday I was in crisis, today I woke up with a clear and decided mind: it's gotta be the frenchies in platinum (it's an extra $350 vs WG...totally worth it I think). This setting is just so dreamy!!!!!! I still do love the bezel, which looks very ancient and is gorgeous. But....those sidestones had me at hello. I am so relieved you all agreed and nudged me in the right direction. :love: :love: :love:

Special thank you to DS and Gypsy for advice on the prongs. Duly noted!

My only problem now (and it's a big one): waiting until the first week of November. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezeling your stone will effect it's performance. Thus I would not bezel it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results