shape
carat
color
clarity

setting: custom or off the shelf

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gmpi

Rough_Rock
my biggest concern is the setting fitting the stone not style. I have the stone (princess cut) and am going for a simple elegant look. Do i need a custom setting. What are the disadvantages of an off the shelf mounting and what are the advantages of a custom setting. Finding the diamond was easy compared to this. i realy can''t find a lot of in depth information on this topic and lord knows i''ve looked Also will vendors sell a setting only ? Some seem cool to the idea

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I know GOG, Whiteflash, DirtCheapDiamonds all sell bands, and I am sure they would gladly set them for you.

Just an FYI, in case you hadn't thought of it, sending it to a on-line retailer like some on these sites can take a few weeks, so call them and check. You don't need to get your diamond from them to get it set there...

Good luck, and by the way, any pics of what you may be looking for?

gmpi

Rough_Rock
I would like to by the setting online and have it set locally. I cant ship the stone off it is now like a child to me, i may not even give it to my girlfriend
tongue.gif
. I am looking for a simple setting in platinum. I have found a few i like. Finding the setting is not a problem. My question is will an off the shelf setting Pose any problem for the jeweler who sets it? can an off the shelf setting do the joband hold the stone securly and not damage the diamond? Or would a custom setting be a better option. also do the vendors have a problem selling just a setting?

Thank you for your opinions

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
You can always pick a design online and have it shipped to you and then get it mounted locally. Or you can always have your jeweller order the setting, most popular designers like vache etc custom build the rings from the ground up when you place an order. The downside is that it takes 2-3 weeks for the ring to be made.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
For those looking to order online and have a local jeweler set it, please read this thread!

Setting Dilemma

Anyone recommend a good local jeweler in NYC? I am absolutely ANAL RETENTIVE with my jewelry and was hoping to find someone with Quality work...

gmpi

Rough_Rock
That makes me feel much better
loopy.gif
That seemed to be a case of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Ok a custom setting from an online dealer and have it set locally ?. Now others can see the value in buying from a full service dealer. I bought from a broker. Its a great stone and no damage done yet i just want to keep it that way. ( I did'nt find that thread when i searched ?) Thank you for all yor help.

gmpi

Rough_Rock
Just to bump this up any other opinions

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I purchase my girls stone on-line at GOG, and had the ring set by Mark Morrell in a custom setting (see my thread if you wish). I know what you are going through. I am a very retentive person and had a very hard time just trusting enought to buy the stone on-line, but then sending it to someone I did not know, in another state, along with a big check, that was nerve racking. But, it turned out better than I could imagine.

The issue with have a local store set it is that ever store I went to had some issues with me buying a few hundred dollar ring and having them set my already paid for multi thousand dollar diamond. After talking with a few of them I was just as nervous with this situation.

Also, I did not like any of the settings. They were all nice, but just not what I wanted and they did not compensate with the stone. I am very glad I used Mark. First, the ring is unique and it is designed to go with the diamond. Also, I had a few special needs. My girl has small hands and works in a lab were she wears gloves often and has a lot of chances of knocking the ring around. So I wanted it set low with special, reinforced prongs. Also, most premade rings are flat on the sides. I wanted a more sensual and soft edged ring that was elegent and more feminine. Also, right before Mark was ready to send me the ring, he sent some pictures. I did not like the tip-prong as it was bulky and not soft. He agreed and changed it to the current tip. Once we received the ring, it was too big. But this was due to the local store that measured her finger, not Mark. Mark gladly and without cost resized it.

It could not have been better.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I got my ring from White Flash. A platinum Heavy Shank Half Bezel by LE. The ring was custom made for my diamond. It is not a stock, off the shelf, ring. It only took about week to produce the ring and set the stone. Six business days, I think.

Maybe you can go for something like that. A "designer" ring that is custom made for each diamond. It's a thought.
1.gif

gmpi

Rough_Rock
PQ Did you buy the diamond from W/F ?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Yeah. I got an ACA.
1.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
It depends on what you want, and what size/cut the stone is.

Off the shelf mounts are great if they are (A) exactly what you want, and (B) your stone is a standard shape and size. At that point, going custom seems like re-inventing the wheel.

Where custom mountings really work out is that there are so many more options on ways to mount the stone, giving you an amazing amount of design freedom. Even if you want a fairly standard style, you can get it perfectly proportioned, more solid, and every detail "just so".

Besides, a good custom mounting usually isn't any more than an off-the-shelf mounting anyway. Designers may charge a premium for thier time, but thier time is ALL you pay for. They don't have distributors, salespeople, commissions, etc.
So if custom is about comparable in price and better in quality, why not?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Just saw a Vatche at Michael C. Fina, and I have to admit, the quality did not blow me away, but the price for it did. We got an offer from the jeweler who we may be buying our diamond from, and he said he could reproduce it to my specs.

I do like the X-prong, but it seems sort of cheap looking...? Anyone have any comments on the Vatche x-prong for my radiant??!!! Damn! I wish Tiffany's sold the band, that one feels and looks meatier!

gmpi

Rough_Rock
Heres the game plan. I went to a local jeweler and looked at settings. Found one that i liked and have decided to Buy the mounting and have them set the stone. I got so caught up in finding the right diamond then finding the vendor who would give me the best price. I saved a lot of money by shopping different online vendors (not to mention how much i saved over b/m stores that like to shine halogen lights on questionably cut I1 stones but that is a different subject.) Through This process i have gained some insight. First mounting should not be an after thought. If you wish to buy online (highly recomended ) You may want to consider a full service Vendor. Prices are higher but may be worth it. Or find someone locally who is willing to do the setting of your diamond beforehand so you can be sure of the quality and workmanship they provide. Not all are willing to do this for different reasons.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you found a setting you like and a jeweler who will work with you, GMPI!

Jewelers have varying reasons for not setting an "outside" stone. Some want the whole deal and get put out when you bring a diamond bought elsewhere. Some still don't like the idea of competing with the internet. Mainly, I think it's an issue of liability, for most.

The jeweler is responsible for your diamond the whole time it's in their possession. Anything can happen, especially during the setting process, and most especially with square cut diamond. The corners are the most susceptible points on any square cut and that's where the prongs go. Even tho my local jeweler carries insurance for setting diamonds, she cringes everytime her smith mounts or unmounts any diamond with a corner or point. She also breathes a huge sigh of relief every time the job is done successfully.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results