shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,
if any of you have a spare couple of mins, I could use your help! I am searching for a setting for a PoH that I am looking at getting from GOG.
The main thing is budget - I want to keep it around the $350 and under, as this will be a temp setting until I can have something designed (therefore the lower the price the better).
I don''t have any real design preferences, except that I much prefer things to sit low on the finger - like many others I am fond of the Vatche royal x-prong, so something simliar in appearance?
As far as metal choice, 14k will be fine, and I may actually prefer yellow or rose gold - no need for plat. As its for a RHR, coloured gold would be a bonus.
I know you get what you pay for but I''m hoping these parameters aren''t too tight to find a reasonable quality setting?

And just a quick update for anybody that read my previous post about having to delay this project - I am happy to say that Fi is back at work and has also gone back to Uni part time, so that situation may have been a blessing in disguise! That said, I have downgraded my aspirations to getting a half ct PoH in better colour and clarity than before, and saving the $ for, well..life
1.gif
This turns out to be a much *healthier* option, and won''t be breaking the budget
5.gif

Appreciate any suggestions!

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, can''t offer any advice on where to get a nice inexpensive setting, but just wanted to say glad everything worked out with your FI''s job and also that you are able to move forward with your ring.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe WF, and Knox. Also, have GOG check prices of stock items like Stuller and Ingwer.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi softly thankyou for your well wishes - I''m glad too!
Skippy, thanku for ur post - I''ve looked through knox before, but will have another go. I guess ur right about just asking GOG, however they don''t seem to have any inexpensive ones.
Cheers for the ideas
5.gif

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
I would ask GOG about settings. They might have somthing in mind, that you have not thought of. Simple four prong, would look great with the PoH and would be easy on the budget for a temp setting.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 4:08:24 PM
Author: BlueJeans
I would ask GOG about settings. They might have somthing in mind, that you have not thought of. Simple four prong, would look great with the PoH and would be easy on the budget for a temp setting.
Hi bluejeans - thankyou for ur help. 4prong is exactly what i''m thinking.
Kicken avatar btw - is that one yours?
1.gif

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 11:17:33 PM
Author: arjunajane

1.gif
Yep, thats Mike, I started a thread about him in the SMTR forum.

Marie at GOG is great with settings- I''ve seen picts of the stuller 4 prong and was seriously considering it but I decided I needed something more hefty and permant. They can set it low too if you like!
1.gif
Good luck and keep us updated!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 11:57:32 PM

Date: 3/3/2008 11:17:33 PM

1.gif
Yep, thats Mike, I started a thread about him in the SMTR forum.

Marie at GOG is great with settings- I''ve seen picts of the stuller 4 prong and was seriously considering it but I decided I needed something more hefty and permant. They can set it low too if you like!
1.gif
Good luck and keep us updated!
OMG!! BJ mike is a babe!!
I''ve posted in ur smtr thread, but just had to say congrats. I''ve been officailly threadjacked, amd I don''t mind at all!
5.gif

Can''t wait to see how it looks set, isn''t it nice that GOG has these original cuts for us gals with slightly diff tastes?

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been spending a lot of time on this website, which is new to PS:

The prices seem very reasonable!

ID Jewelry

sera

Ideal_Rock
I can''t think of any settings off-hand but will keep an eye out. I just wanted to say that I''m so happy things worked out... and not just so you could get your PoH but just in general (and the PoH is a BIG bonus to that!).

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jelly, oh no a new PS site - danger, danger!
2.gif
thankyou for the heads up - I''ll check it out after wk today.
Hey Sera, thankyou for ur kind words - I know, I''m mainly just happy that everythings back on the right track - and ur right, the PoH is just a bonus to that
5.gif

Keep any suggestions comin''!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
A little off topic, but I''ve been checking out this beverley k on pearlmans for a couple days now - apparently its all very nice quality, and I thought for a halo this seems Very reasonable- only $1045! (hopefully less after PS discount
31.gif
)

It is still a little out of budget at the moment, which is why I was looking for a temp setting.
But living in Australia, I''m a bit concerned about buying a 2nd setting later on and having to pay duities to send it back and forth again.
Would I be better off just getting this setting off the bat??
33.gif

I''m wondering whether its a good idea to spend $300 or so on a setting I won''t have any use for after? What do u guys think?

I did a couple searches but not many RL pics - anyone have experience with beverley k? - pics would be lovely!

108PP13.jpg

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 1:58:33 AM
A little off topic, but I''ve been checking out this beverley k on pearlmans for a couple days now - apparently its all very nice quality, and I thought for a halo this seems Very reasonable- only $1045! (hopefully less after PS discount
31.gif
)

It is still a little out of budget at the moment, which is why I was looking for a temp setting.
But living in Australia, I''m a bit concerned about buying a 2nd setting later on and having to pay duities to send it back and forth again.
33.gif

I''m wondering whether its a good idea to spend $300 or so on a setting I won''t have any use for after? What do u guys think?

I did a couple searches but not many RL pics - anyone have experience with beverley k? - pics would be lovely!
You live in Australia? Yeah, customs/duties suck. I haven''t heard anything bad about Beverley K, quite the contrary, everyone seems to love Beverley K.

I think I would save up for the halo. It really depends how long your willing to wear the temp setting? Less than a year? Maybe you could just have pearlmans send you the setting and have it set locally?

I''d call or email him and marie and see what they say.

-Blue

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
31.gif
)

33.gif

I don''t have any experience with Beverly K but that setting is beautiful.
If you can afford to do it now, I would do it now. Paying around 300 for a temp, then taxes, then sedning back and once again duties is going to cost alot more in the end.
If you can''t do it now, I wouldn''t even do a temp. Just wait until I had the money for the real thing.
If you really want to be able to wear it now though, try looking locally at a basic 4 prong setting and see how the prices compare to GOG.
You might find that it costs less.
No offense to GOG, i love their stones and have purchased from them before- but I saved close to 400 doing a bezel pendant with my local jeweler as opposed to having them set it.

NewYorkd.o.c.

Rough_Rock
Hi there. I have a PoH from GOG that I bought last December. I live in Italy but was in NY visiting my family for xmas. Anyway bc of the rush (since I left the US the day after xmas), I also had them set it in a temporary setting (they had 2 days to do it). My only choice was a Tiffany setting as that was the only 4 prong they had in stock. It was $100. It''s not bad, but I''m not in love with it either. But it works until I can find something I like.

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
I have been through all your post and I''m blind! I can''t find your e-ring!!!
15.gif

Please point me in the right direction!
1.gif

-Blue

NewYorkd.o.c.

Rough_Rock
Whose? BC I think the OP has not yet bought her diamond. I have never posted mine as this is my second post I think :)
This is the pic that GOG took for me.

TL POH 80HVS2 finished 2.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 11:27:37 AM
I have been through all your post and I''m blind! I can''t find your e-ring!!!
15.gif

Please point me in the right direction!
1.gif

-Blue
Oh BJ thats so sweet that ur interested!
unfortunately I''m not able to capture any pics worth posting as my digi cam broke couple months ago
7.gif
- I have had my e-ring for couple of yrs, and have to admit that before PS I''d never considered taking pics of my ring!!
So when I get that PoH and find a setting for my RHR, I will also have to get a camera!
Although I have to admit my simple 2stone e-ring may be a bit shy to make an entrance around here!
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
woobug just bought a beverely k ring from pearlmans..she posted pics and her opinion on the quality in this thread:

woobugs beverely k

i have only heard good things about them. i think the settings are very well made for the price point they are in. there are actually a couple a bands to wear on my right hand down the road. personally, i just hate throwing money towards a temp. anything. I''d rather just save up a bit more and buy what i really want to begin with.

NewYorkd.o.c.

Rough_Rock
Here is the side view.

Right now I am thinking of having it reset in a bezel with diamonds around the side of the bezel (Leon Mege or A.Jaffe designs are both on my list right now).

The specs of the diamond are:

0.80ct H VS2
Length: 5.24mm
Depth: 3.78mm
Width: 5.23mm
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Table Percentage: 58.50%
Polish: Ideal
Depth Percentage: 72.25%
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: None
Crown Depth: 14.65%
Girdle: 5.96%
Pavilion Depth: 51.07%
Lab Report: AGS

TL POH80 side view.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
2.gif

Date: 3/4/2008 10:24:22 AM
Author: elle_chris

31.gif
)

33.gif

I don''t have any experience with Beverly K but that setting is beautiful.
If you can afford to do it now, I would do it now. Paying around 300 for a temp, then taxes, then sedning back and once again duties is going to cost alot more in the end.
If you can''t do it now, I wouldn''t even do a temp. Just wait until I had the money for the real thing.
If you really want to be able to wear it now though, try looking locally at a basic 4 prong setting and see how the prices compare to GOG.
You might find that it costs less.
No offense to GOG, i love their stones and have purchased from them before- but I saved close to 400 doing a bezel pendant with my local jeweler as opposed to having them set it.
Elle, blue,
yes living in Australia is a bit of a barrier to getting my perfect ring, however I''m still grateful that I found PS as I would never be able to afford the kinda quality I''m considering fro the US it I bought locally
38.gif

Elle, your so right that I should wait and save, but I''m greedy and want to wear it nooow!
3.gif

I had that same idea to look at settings locally, but anyone will tell you that jewellery here is crazy expensive - looked at the Only empty mount they had in a large store today - over $1000 for WG!!
40.gif

I been speaking to Bill about the Bev K, and he is of the opinion I should just go with it, that the price diff between that and a temp wouldn''t be justified. The main concern for me with getting something o/seas with lots of pave etc is repairs/maintenace ..Which is why I was hoping someone had an opinion on Bev K quality??
33.gif
....any-body?

New York, you''re so lucky for being able to get your PoH in person! Thankyou for sharing your experience - something about $100 would be ideal for my temp idea..Do you have any pics at all u could share?

5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Mrs, I didn''t woo got BK, cheers for the headsup! You''ve just given me a reason to stay up longer now (its past 1am here)!
3.gif

New York, thankyou for posting, do u love your diamond? I too originaly wanted A Jaffe, our tastes are so simliar! However I quickly found they were bit outta my $$league
7.gif

Pearlmans were very helpful with me with Jaffe queries - and they seemed to have more flexibilty than other vendors I approached.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 11:12:27 AM
2.gif

..Which is why I was hoping someone had an opinion on Bev K quality??
33.gif
....any-body?

arjunajane, Bill will be 100% honest with you about the quality of the settings. pearlmans is actually pretty picky about which designers they even carry. There are different levels of craftmanship out there and I have not seen a beverley k ring in person to comment but like i said, i do believe you would get a quality ring for the price. I don''t think they are in the same league as michael b for example, but neither is the price. tell Bill your concerns and he''ll tell you if the setting would be good choice for you or not.

NewYorkd.o.c.

Rough_Rock
Yes I do :) We spent years looking for this diamond. I never received an actual e-ring bc I just kept holding out for a square H&A that I could see in person before buying it. No one in Europe has them and the one time I happened to be in NY with DH by my side, GOG sold their last jubilee right before our appointment! Glad we held out though as I really love this cut.

I don''t love my setting. Like I said, it is only temporary. I am a little bit scared of damaging the corners as one is not entirely covered the prong. I don''t even know if this is a problem with PoH. I know the issue has been raised with radiants though. I also want a lower setting overall hence the choice of a bezel (which will also emphasize the shape).

I might have the setting made here. I''m not too keen on sending the ring back to the US to be set and there is no way I would trust having it sent back to Italy (nothing arrives here). I am going to try to find an excellent jeweler here but if I cannot, then I will try to organize it so I can pick the ring up in the States next time I am in NY.

The only thing I wish could be done is a laser incision on the girdle. But the girdle on a PoH is too thin IIRC.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 5:29:51 PM
Author: NewYorkd.o.c.
Yes I do :) We spent years looking for this diamond. I never received an actual e-ring bc I just kept holding out for a square H&A that I could see in person before buying it. No one in Europe has them and the one time I happened to be in NY with DH by my side, GOG sold their last jubilee right before our appointment! Glad we held out though as I really love this cut.

I don''t love my setting. Like I said, it is only temporary. I am a little bit scared of damaging the corners as one is not entirely covered the prong. I don''t even know if this is a problem with PoH. I know the issue has been raised with radiants though. I also want a lower setting overall hence the choice of a bezel (which will also emphasize the shape).

I might have the setting made here. I''m not too keen on sending the ring back to the US to be set and there is no way I would trust having it sent back to Italy (nothing arrives here). I am going to try to find an excellent jeweler here but if I cannot, then I will try to organize it so I can pick the ring up in the States next time I am in NY.

The only thing I wish could be done is a laser incision on the girdle. But the girdle on a PoH is too thin IIRC.
Hi New York,
my what a story! You guys were so lucky to be able to viisit jon in person, I''m sure that would''ve been fun
9.gif

What a bummer they sold the jubilee just before u got there,
22.gif
I love those aswell. Shame they don''t really do them anymore it would seem..?
I actually haven''t thought of the corners before, so thanku for mentioning it. I prefer thicker or split prongs, so hopefully that will help. I think ultimately I may set mine in a halo but I''m just so indecisive I don''t want to rush in to anything - I''ve never even seen of these cuts in person!
40.gif

We''re just like you here in Aust, nobody has even heard of these - it gets s bit tiring when ppl think you''re getting confused with a radiant. Knowledgable jewellers in my city seem to be few and far between!

Thats interesting that you mention the laser - the o.6 poh I''m looking at getting has an AGS inscription on the girdle - not sure how thick it is.
Would you like me to find out?
I guess I didn''t really mind about the laser, but now I''m happy as it means no one can ever switch my stone. Is that why you wanted it, or did you want a more personalized inscription?

Its fun talking to another PoH enthusiast
9.gif
If you have time, I''d love to hear about ur trip to GOG
5.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Arjuna have you thought about contacting a good local benchman to make your setting the only reason I ask is with the diamond set the import duties rise as opposed to an unset diamond especially for a temporary setting.

I unfortunately don''t know much about Beverly k settings but she has some really nice pieces :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
5.gif

Date: 3/7/2008 7:45:31 AM
Author: Deelight
Arjuna have you thought about contacting a good local benchman to make your setting the only reason I ask is with the diamond set the import duties rise as opposed to an unset diamond especially for a temporary setting.

I unfortunately don''t know much about Beverly k settings but she has some really nice pieces :)
Hi deelight,
good point, and yeah I have already gone down that route! I''ve found a very talented young jewellery designer/benchman who just opened his own shop right in my neighborhood
9.gif

Unfortunately, all the quotes I''ve beem given by them and others are just too high, although his are more reasonable than others and his wk is of a very high standard..
I do very much like this jeweller I mentioned but I think I would rather deal with them for *the real deal* in a year or 2 and have something very special made..As far as just buying the mounting here, the going rate seems to be at least $600 just for the most basic yellow gold solitaire!
29.gif
And that doesn''t get me someone to set it even!
33.gif
I know, sad but true.
And I''d be very conscerned they had no idea how to handle a PoH, if it were a RB it may be a diff story..
All that said though, I am very open to suggestions, if anyone knows a decent place in west australia to get jewellery I''d love to hear from u !

With re to the import dee, am i correct that its 10% on the stone and 5% on the setting? Or is it 15% on the whole thing? apparently some have said that if you get the vendor to list the 2components separate on the invoice you can get away wit paying less? Sorry but do u know much about this?
damn the GST
7.gif

thanku for ur help

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
BTW,
if I do decide to go down this road, this is the other BK ting I''m leaning toward. I feel this may a comprmise option between a halo and a solitaire - still has bling but lets the stone stand for itself too, you know? (although I will have the triple prongs changed to either split or normal).
Does anyone have a preference between this and the one earlier in thread?

BK choice2.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
giving myself a bump
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I know for certain that you will have to pay a 10% GST on your diamond I am also fairly sure that if the diamond is set there is an import duty with when added to GST totals 16.5%, You do not pay import duties on unset diamonds.

I had read on a thread that you can ask them to list the costings separately so you get charged 10% GST on your diamond and the import duty on the setting only but I can't 100% confirm that.

Might be worth a call to customs.

BTW I really like that setting :)

ETA Honey22 might also be a good person to ask she has also just bought a ring in the US set and had it shipped over here :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results