shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting and Diamond Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soonerice

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
I need some advice on a ring I am looking at for my girlfriend. She likes a designer setting from Jack Kelege that we have seen at a local jeweler. The setting lists for $3600. According to the salespeople at the store, the setting needs a diamond around a full carat to fit well and look good in the setting. My problem is that I can only afford to spend $6000 at most on the ring. The best offer they have given me is $6000 with the following diamond:
1.10 carat
D Color
I 1 Clarity (it looks pretty good to me)
Good Cut
The I 1 initially scared me off as the fact that the diamond is not certified. My question is twofold:
1) Is this a completely ridiculous offer?
2) Should I risk having the ring made without an exact picture but at a much lower price (around $1000-$1500) so I can buy a better diamond?

Nate

Shiny_Rock
You should be able to find the setting cheaper online. Also if the settings has side stones you may be able to buy the setting without the stones and buy them elsewhere. It is likely you would end up with better stones and still save money. I'd be scared of the I1 for an engagement ring, not to mention the fact that it isn't certified and you don't know how well it is cut. If you dropped down from a D you should be able to get a better clarity.

Looking at PriceScope...

About $2600:
0.9ct, SI1, J, AGS 0

About $3000:
0.9ct, SI1, J, AGS 0, H&A
1.09ct, SI2, J, AGS 0, H&A
1.09ct, SI1, J, AGS 0
1.05ct, SI2, H, AGS 0

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results