shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting an octagon stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
How hard is it to set an octagon stone into a ring? What do you need to be careful of? I searched but didn''t come up with much unfortunately. TIA!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

I''ve actually been wondering the same thing, hoofbeats. Do you orient one of the points towards the top, or one of the flat sides? I was thinking of putting one in a round halo, but I''m not sure what the dimensions should be, i.e., if you have a 7mm octogon with a corner towards the top, should you go with a standard, 7mm, 4-prong halo?

Sorry I''m so useless... Hopefully we''ll get some answers.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A round setting should be able to accomodate an octagon. I would love to see something like that in a square halo for a round stone. Lots of geometric lines there adds to the interest in the piece.
31.gif
. As long as the Octagon covers up the setting "hole," you should be fine. Knoxjewelers.biz might also have some interesting settings that would give you some ideas. I think they have some octagon settings.

Unless you have a soft species of gem, I don't think there should be a problem with setting it. Care must be taken with any soft stone, no matter what the shape.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I would orient one of the flat sides to the top. I would do double claw prongs on the appropriate sides or, possibly, a bezel.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
So it can be prong set like a round? It doesn''t have to have the edges or "corners" protected and therefore set in a bezel? I wasn''t sure how fragile that cut was.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs would go on the flat portions of the girdle, not on the points. If you look at the precisiongem.com blog, in the jewelry section, he cut a snowflake octagon topaz that knoxjewelers.biz set in such a way. Take a look where the prongs lie. This setting is also done in a smaller version, and it's originally meant for a round stone, but they did a larger custom version for this octagon topaz.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 11:24:19 AM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I would orient one of the flat sides to the top. I would do double claw prongs on the appropriate sides or, possibly, a bezel.

I agree! Double claws would look so cool with an octagonal stone.

Which one do you have in mind HB? Did you already buy it? (if so where are the pics??)

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I figured the prongs went on the flat side. I just wasn''t sure how much protection the stone needed and if you could set it in a setting made for a round if it fit. Thanks for the info! That snowflake ring is pretty!

I don''t have a stone. The tourmaline on Dan''s site caught my eye this morning and had me pondering how you would set such a stone. I need to set my spinel first though before I buy anything more I think.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:50:52 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I figured the prongs went on the flat side. I just wasn''t sure how much protection the stone needed and if you could set it in a setting made for a round if it fit. Thanks for the info! That snowflake ring is pretty!

I don''t have a stone. The tourmaline on Dan''s site caught my eye this morning and had me pondering how you would set such a stone. I need to set my spinel first though before I buy anything more I think.

Hehe you''re much more rational than I am about buying! I have so many stones needing to be set, and yet, all my money goes to more stones.
3.gif
That tourmaline IS really eye-catching!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a special affinity for octagon stones although I do not have one (yet!). I have a cuprite septagon, but that''s it. These shapes can be hard to find, but they''re really beautiful.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:06:21 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
The prongs would go on the flat portions of the girdle, not on the points. If you look at the precisiongem.com blog, in the jewelry section, he cut a snowflake octagon topaz that knoxjewelers.biz set in such a way. Take a look where the prongs lie. This setting is also done in a smaller version, and it''s originally meant for a round stone, but they did a larger custom version for this octagon topaz.
Precisiongem shows octagons set both ways: on the flat side, like TL pointed out, but just above that snowflake octagon, there''s a spinel 3-stone ring that''s set with 4 prongs on the points. The octagons are each oriented differently too - the snowflake has a flat side towards the top, and the spinel has a point towards the top. Here''s the link: http://www.precisiongem.com/Main/Jewelry.html

So it sounds like there are lots of options. I still don''t know what size setting you''d need though. If I get an 8mm LOGR legacy setting, what size octagon could it hold?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, this isn''t an Octagon but it might give you some ideas on orientation - ignore the enormous prongs! I had this made in Thailand and the jeweller (bless her) ignored my delicate prong idea and went a bit over-prongey!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
LD, your ring is lovely despite those hugh prongs
5.gif
Love that color!

That snowflake ring on Gene''s site is absolutely one of a kind. Very unique!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer to orient the stone to have a flat side at the top in order the protect the stone; it would be a shame to the unprotected point get chipped. Round settings are fine and asscher ring settings are the perfect fit. Some princess setting will do as well. Bezeling the stone will also highlight the shape if the stone isn''t too dark to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results