shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting advice, please

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since y’all are my style sisters and misters I’d love to get your thoughts about setting this tourmaline. It’s larger than I wanted, but the color spoke to me. Thinking of doing this DK setting but no sidestones. I’m on the fence about YG or WG. Do you think this style will work for an oval? I’m often drawn to angular shapes vs curves so wondering if that’s why I’m drawn to the setting, but concerned it won’t be as attractive for an oval stone. Signed, super indecisive but desperate for a new pretty.

IMG_6724.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 41

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love the faux collet style and I could see this tourmaline in either yellow or white gold. Personally l would go for yellow but what type of metals do you find yourself reaching for more often? Maybe it's in my head but I feel like a white metal would make the ring feel more modern and yellow would pull it back to the antique roots/inspiration.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!

For your setting inspo -
I wonder if the curved oval shape could be coaxed into the collet/faux bezel having 14-16 polygon sides? Enough to be angular but not too angular to lose some face up view of the gem or look like a round peg in square hole.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for white gold (you seem cool toned) and no stones. That's a huge and beautiful stone. Imo, a simple setting would work best.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone!

I think white metal would go better with the light blue colour.

Faux bezel is a great idea. You could shape the inside edge to the curve of the stone. Here's a spectacular example (one of my PS favourites.):

Hi everyone! I just have to share how excited I am. I have had one heck of a year (in a good way), so even though I had promised myself I would be on a buying hold, when I saw the listing for this ring on LT I couldn't hold back.

She is a 2.45 ct H I1 pear shaped rose cut diamond set in 18k yellow gold by the talented CVB. Not only have I long coveted a rosie, but this is my first designer ring as well! I just love the design. It gives me a medieval feel. Makes me channel my inner Mary Queen of Scots, lol. Anyway, here she is. Last pic is with my 3.63 ct OEC.
20211126_132856.jpg
20211126_120645.jpg
20211126_120837.jpg
20211126_120830.jpg
20211126_135322.jpg

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Since y’all are my style sisters and misters I’d love to get your thoughts about setting this tourmaline. It’s larger than I wanted, but the color spoke to me. Thinking of doing this DK setting but no sidestones. I’m on the fence about YG or WG. Do you think this style will work for an oval? I’m often drawn to angular shapes vs curves so wondering if that’s why I’m drawn to the setting, but concerned it won’t be as attractive for an oval stone. Signed, super indecisive but desperate for a new pretty.

IMG_6724.jpeg

Wait what?! Pls don’t just ask for design ideas without showing off that tourmaline!!? I’m so jelly of that stone…pls!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait what?! Pls don’t just ask for design ideas without showing off that tourmaline!!? I’m so jelly of that stone…pls!

Yes - this! Looks like an actual Paraiba but that size and clarity! If it is not a Paraiba, where did you find this beauty (or this gorgeous material)?

Late here but I say white metal all the way.

Collet with prongs has an "olde-timey" feel to me whereas this hue, tone, size, and precision cut look a lot more contemporary. It's big enough that triangular side-diamonds could half-hide under the pavilion. It seems a shame to miss an opportunity to make this a high-jewelry type showpiece. With a different color tourm -- even a rubellite -- I would not say this.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Yes - this! Looks like an actual Paraiba but that size and clarity! If it is not a Paraiba, where did you find this beauty (or this gorgeous material)?

YEP!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the long delayed response, Neptune. I lost my tweezers and finally broke down and ordered a holder. Here are some indoor pics. The paraiba comments are very flattering, but sadly it does not have that glow.

IMG_8600.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8598.jpeg
    IMG_8598.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 5

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Drool! You know how hard it is to find something this big, clean, minimal window, and "open" nowadays?

Is it a shifty?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results