shape
carat
color
clarity

setting advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dfb

Rough_Rock
looking to upgrade - and we are interested in this general look - but I have seen a few threads about concern of wear and tear on the stones in such settings as the rings work against each other over time - is that a real concern - are there setting you can suggest that give this look and feel but are better than others in terms of not having the rings/stones wear against each other over time?

settingdfb1.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I did a search for "abrading" and few things came up.
There are 2 issues as I understand them can be the following: 1) the girdles of the stones on the eternity band can eat into the prongs that hold the center stone of the e-ring, and 2)even worse- the girdles of the stones on the 2 bands can rub against one another and cause chipping.

Some of the threads I found were old, but it looks like some brands of bands, Memoire as one example are made specifically so this won''t happen. Also another option is for your wife to wear a spacer band between the 2 rings. Does she currently have a plain wedding band? if so how thick is it? a 2mm wedding band would serve as a nice spacer and give you piece of mind.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i second the Memoire brand, they are specifically designed to not allow the rubbing.

here''s a picture of the memoire. also, go to www.memoire.com for info on the technique used to made these rings, it''s very different than a cast ring which a lot of companies do.

3.2memoriebandplatheadonwithsemitmount.JPG

dfb

Rough_Rock
thanks for responses on the setting questions - this is a beautful set that was made for a member here - we would out of respect for that not look to duplicate it - but trying to train my eye to look for settings like this that would not be susceptable to these abrading concerns - is this sort of design one that the designer has taken that into account - and built the rings in such a way as to avoid that issue - it would appear the girdles are protected and there would just be metal to metal contact between the rings - thus avoiding the concern

settingdfb2.jpg

dfb

Rough_Rock
opps - that picture is too small to see - anyway it is a set that Mark Morrell made for a member here - guess we will keep looking and keep this in mind as we see pieces in person

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 10:52:29 AM
Author: dfb
opps - that picture is too small to see - anyway it is a set that Mark Morrell made for a member here - guess we will keep looking and keep this in mind as we see pieces in person
Who was it made for?

Can you do a search and find the thread on that ring and also check for other postings by that poster?

Do a search for the following terms:
eternity, eating prongs
diamond, girdles, chipping

and you should get lots of results on this.

If you have something custom made you should definitely tell the designer/jeweler about your concerns so they will craft the ring in a manner where the rings won''t "hurt" one another.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
dfb:

I think any great custom designer jeweler can make a ring like that. I know for a fact that there is a very similar ring...I will try to post the pics. I think it is a beauty, and it is done by Mark Morrell. His work gets rave reviews.

I also love Maytal Hoffman, www.maytalhannah.com, and chose to go with her when we had a couple rings made. There are so many great designer custom jewelers...but those are my favorite.

morrell001.JPG

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
another

morrell006.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 12:18:20 PM
Author: dtnyc
Date: 3/27/2007 10:52:29 AM

Author: dfb

Who was it made for?

that ring belongs to Jadeleaves.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results