shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting a Radiant Safely

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emkinmd

Rough_Rock

I have been told that Radiant’s are more susceptible to chipping. I am kind of hard on my hands and am a little nervous to get a high setting where the stone would sit alone. My boyfriend wants to get a setting the shows of the center stone since it is so beautiful but I am leaning towards a halo since I feel like it would offer more protection?? I am working with a 2.7 carat square radiant.

I am also curious as to the comfort of pave settings and the durability? I work out a lot, better keep the precious rock somewhere safe!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! I have 2 radiants. One of them is set with double claw prongs and trilliants on the side and the other one has a halo. I''ve never had problems with either of them. Pave is comfortable, but you have to be careful not to loosen any of the stones. If you''re worried about chipping the stone, maybe you could put the ring on a chain while you''re doing risky work.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that Radiants were fine as long as the girdle wasn''t Very Thin. Princess stones are a problem because of the corners.

Check with your appraiser maybe it''s your stone''s girdle that''s a concern.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
I went with a square radiant because they are less prone to damage than princess cuts. The sharp corners of a princess cut are vulnerable to chipping, but even then, I think as long as the girdle is not "very thin" or below you should be fine.

So check the girdle, and also check the location of any feather inclusions. Ask the appraiser if any of the feathers break the surface of the stone, especially if they are near the girdle. If there are feathers close to the girdle, the stone may be vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results