shape
carat
color
clarity

setting a princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gmpi

Rough_Rock
I found the perfect stone, now the setting .I know what i''m looking for( a simple solitaire setting in platnum.) The corners on the stone look so delicate it just concerns me to cramp four prongs down on the corners of a delicate and very expensive stone. Question what type of prong will protect the stone best and be most durable. I don''t want a lot blocking the view of the diamond. to me simple= elegant. any additonal vendors would be helpful also ( I think i''ve seen most everything on the internet and want to make sure i see them all before i decide.

gmpi

Rough_Rock
back on top

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
>Question what type of prong will protect the stone best and be most durable.<

The best answer? No prong in existence.

You are right about the delicate corners, but as well you have to worry about the girdle, which is exposed to a lot of abuse in a 4-prong solitaire head. I have seen too many stones destroyed this way in normal use.

Prongs on a head are a compromise. They are not prevalent because they are the optimal setting for the stone, they are prevalent more because of market realities for mass production and mass sales.

There are other mounting styles, but they are not as convenient for the store or for the manufacturer, as they are either not as universal - requiring greater stock to be kept on hand, or the mountings have to be created for each unique stone. Too much of a headache for most retailers.

gmpi

Rough_Rock
any other opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results