shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting a Mali in white gold ..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any opinions on setting a Mali in WG vs. YG? I''ve never been a fan of YG but if it''ll compliment the stone then it''s something I''d be willing to try. I have an extremely fair complextion (redhead) .. I''m not sure how YG would look on me as I''ve never worn it.

Would this Mali look alright in a WG solitaire? The vendor photo is all I have at the moment but I''ll be sure to post more pictures before making a final decision.

Thanks!

gmaliwh.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love white metal......but a mali screams for yellow gold. if i get around to setting mine it will be in 18k or higher yellow gold.

mz

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for mini threadjack. Movie zombie, I love your spess. Where did you get it if I might ask?

MommaChristine, I think a yellow stone seems like it would be more complemented by yellow gold. However, I have a citrine which is set in white gold (and it seems like it should have been in yellow gold) which was already set when I bought it and it looks great. You could try placing it in a white gold mounting and see how it you like it.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
I e-mailed Jim from James Allen and he said I could do a YG basket with a WG shank. Would this have the same affect that a full YG ring would on the Mali?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I''d go to a jeweler and try it out in various mountings. Even if the stone looks better in YG but you don''t like how it looks on you then you''re probably not going to wear it, which would be a pity.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a picture of the setting for reference .. :)

setting7.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
So you are the one who got that beauty from Gene! I saw the picture on his site when it was sold
30.gif
I nagged Gene until he cut me a new Mali.

My Mali from Gene is a greenish yellow and I plan to set it in WG. However, I am very biased when it comes to metal color so I am afraid that I am not much help here. It really depend on what is the secondary hue in your Mali. The best way to test it out is to put it next to some YG and WG pieces. See which one you like better.

Edit: just saw your setting picture. I vote for WG!

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
I actually didn''t buy that stone because like you it was sold before I could! I also nagged him until he cut one for me! :) I asked for a greener one like the one that was sold but once I saw the picture of the one he cut I fell in love with the yellowish/greenish gold color.

In the picture he sent you of your Mali was is greener or yellower? I''m trying to get a feel for what color this stone will be once it''s in my hands .. I have NO patience!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
You can find the vendor picture of my Mali in my thread - just go to page 2 and it''s the 3rd post from top.

The attached pictures are taken at night, and doesn''t show the true color. It is not that green although I wish!

Loose Gem Home Pictures23.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone. I really like that basket setting.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 3:04:59 PM
Author: Kismet
I''d go to a jeweler and try it out in various mountings. Even if the stone looks better in YG but you don''t like how it looks on you then you''re probably not going to wear it, which would be a pity.
Ditto.

Also, I think that if the stone is darker than the YG, then I might consider it, but if it''s lighter, I think I''d go with WG.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 10:02:38 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Ditto.

Also, I think that if the stone is darker than the YG, then I might consider it, but if it''s lighter, I think I''d go with WG.
It can go either way but I''m in agreement with FC. If the stone is light, I''d use WG and if it''s a deeper colour, then YG would look better.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love two tone rings, and think the idea of a YG basket with a WG band is a great idea. Best of both worlds!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
So hard to say without seeing it in person, but I agree with the white if it''s light, yellow if it''s dark idea. Also, the two most fair-skinned, red-headed girls I know wear yellow gold wedding sets and it looks great on them!

I love your stone and setting!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 3:00:32 PM
Author: Cind11
Sorry for mini threadjack. Movie zombie, I love your spess. Where did you get it if I might ask?

MommaChristine, I think a yellow stone seems like it would be more complemented by yellow gold. However, I have a citrine which is set in white gold (and it seems like it should have been in yellow gold) which was already set when I bought it and it looks great. You could try placing it in a white gold mounting and see how it you like it.

my spess is an 8.18 carat that i was purchased from richard wise [rwwise.com].

re the mali: mine also came from gene but it has a lot of yellow/gold/bronze type sparkle to it. it is not minty and therefore i wouldn''t even consider white gold for it.

much would depend on the tones of your mali. what about a mixed metal setting? white gold band, yellow gold basket?

mz

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 10:17:49 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 3/5/2009 10:02:38 PM

Author: FrekeChild

Ditto.

It can go either way but I''m in agreement with FC. If the stone is light, I''d use WG and if it''s a deeper colour, then YG would look better.

Ditto. Thritto? In any case I agree with both Freke and Chrono

That''s a lovely stone btw!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If the stone''s color IRL is like the one in the photo I''d also go with yellow gold basket and white gold shank. But you''ll have to wait and see how it really looks before deciding on anything, I guess.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 1:08:54 AM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 3/5/2009 3:00:32 PM
Author: Cind11

my spess is an 8.18 carat that i was purchased from richard wise [rwwise.com].

re the mali: mine also came from gene but it has a lot of yellow/gold/bronze type sparkle to it. it is not minty and therefore i wouldn''t even consider white gold for it.

much would depend on the tones of your mali. what about a mixed metal setting? white gold band, yellow gold basket?

mz
Ahhh, Richard Wise''s stones are gorgeous. I just bought a sapphire from Wink that Richard Homer cut (flat faceted) for me. A spessartite and a tsavorite are next on my list. I''m kind of confused as to which color of spessartite is the "best". More of the reddish orange or more of the pure orange. Anyway, your ring is great!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks! more thread hijack: i saw a smaller carat spess in santa cruz.....a richard homer cut spess! while smaller in carats, it faced up huge....i mean really really huge, larger than mine. it was very shallow with all the weight in the crown. and it was gorgeous. a lighter spess than mine.

back to mali: i really like mali garnets. i think the play of color they can display makes them more diamond-like than other garnets. any decisions yet re setting?

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results