shape
carat
color
clarity

Setter in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stanfff

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I have just bought a diamond online and I''m looking for a setter to make the ring. I went to a designer and he quote $700 for a basic six prong setting (nothing fancy). Is that expensive? Do you guys know of any good setter around the Toronto area?

analyticangel

Rough_Rock
What material?
Is that quote for platnium?
Remember all settings are not the same quality workmanship.

What do you mean also by designer?

Where did you buy the stone from?
If it is a reputable on line vendor like Whiteflash, GOG ,etc why not let them set it and know it will be done right?

analyticangel

Rough_Rock
ALSO.....

Please note that if you bring a stone to another jeweler to set many will not assume responsibility for the stone should something happen in the setting process

Now, I understand that it is rare that it happens especially with a RB but it can

So I would suggest you check with anyone for their policy before you make a decision and perhaps factor in liability (unless you have insurance that will cover the setting process)

I did not care for the settings from the online vendor I bought my stone from and was too nervous to go the cutom route

So I found a designer setting I liked and then sent the setting and stone I bought from them back and they were wonderful and toook responsibility for setting and sizing

Just my 2cents

I actually learned about this from reading the forums I had not even considered the possibility of responsibility for stone in setting process if not for the smarter folks here
36.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
No I don''t know a setter in your area, but I don''t think you can find anyone willing to pay you if the stone breaks in the process unless you buy a stone from them..I am not sure if insurance covers loose stones.Having said that choose the setter wisely you may pay more for experience they have.keep us posted..and good luck

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
I know there is a looong thread on one guy''s buying experience in Toronto, where he got the stone from usacerted and then had the setting shipped from excel, and then set in the diamond building at Dundas Square. The thread has a pretty good play by play on how it happened, and he was able to give the setter an extra 40 dollars or something to include insurance.

I''ll see if I can find the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results