shape
carat
color
clarity

Set (well), not stolen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
We''re arriving up in Southern California to have a ring set.

Short of having recommendations for jewellers (which we haven''t) how does one find a reputable jeweller? Should they be members of some sort of jewellers guild, and, if so, which one?

Should one expect to wait while this is done, or leave it to be done? If so, what is a reasonable turn-around time? Basically, this novice (me), finds it hard to imagine handing a many many thousand dollar item over to a stranger....

While the diamond has a number engraved on the side, the pessimist in me realizes that this, too, could be forged, if someone were really keen.

Your advice is appreciated

Goldenringlets

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
OHMYGOSH. Yikes, maybe a CZ will look good in the new setting instead, until we find someone truly reputable!

Thanks!

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
There are way to protect yourself....just be careful

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
I've been reading elsewhere this evening that jewelers don't like to set stones they didn't sell, into settings they didn't sell. I also sensed they don't like customer walking in and requesting that it be done while they wait, which might enhance security, but could also disrupt the jeweler's day. However, one also imagines that a jeweler wouldn't mind making a quick $100 or so. Any verification of these facts/rumors? Any other gratuitous advice?!?

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
A good jeweler will do it hoping they get business out of you - that's been my experience. I can't see why someone wouldn't.

Is this just a stone that needs to be set or is it already set and needs to be reset? That's very different. Anyone you buy a setting from should set the stone without question.

It may take more time than you think to reset a diamond. They may not be able to do it while you wait.

Try to find a place that will insure your stone or ring while it's in their possession. If not, make sure you have insurance.

Your best bet is to ask around and get recommendations. But even then your not safe enough to trust blindly.

You need to verify what your stone is and what it looks like when you drop it off and then when you pick it up. No two stones are alike. You need to know the inclusions in your stone and to check it when you drop it off and pick it up. They can't replicate those marks.

If it ain't the same one when you pick it up then you have a problem. Try not to be paranoid - just smart.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
"........Try to find a place that will insure your stone or ring while it's in their possession. If not, make sure you have insurance......."

Good one.

I am curious as to how difficult it will be for you to find a jeweler who is willing to insure the diamond and ring you bought elsewhere. I have been told by some "its unfair to ask the jeweler to accept such a large risk"...

Please let me know what the responses you get are?

stumpy

Rough_Rock
Interesting observations. I have a new diamond and I think I will seek to have it set somewhere they do not know me. I have found lately that familiarity breeds contempt at certain jewelers I frequent. Sometimes they can know you too well, and it can work against you. I will, however, have it set where I buy the setting. If I go with a tension setting, it will need to be sent out. But I have done that before and am not worried about it. I intend to wait until after the holidays however. Maybe the price of platinum will come down.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results