shape
carat
color
clarity

Set or unset for appraisal? Insurance recs for DC Area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
So, I think my bf and I have settled on a stone (thanks for everyone''s help). Okay, this is the newest speedbump--insurance coverage. I have a couple of questions.

Quick background: the setting and stone are coming from two different respectable PS vendors.

1. What is prefered for appraisal? Set or unset stone? Or, is either okay?

2. I have read on some PS postings recommendations to get a temporary, inexpensive setting, then obtain insurance coverage and, once that is done, have it mounted in its final setting. However, because I don''t understand whether an appraisal has to be conducted first on a loose stone, I am a little confused about doing this.

3. Does anyone have recs for great insurance brokers in the DC area? I am leaning towards either Chubb or Jewelers Mutual.

4. What do you all use for mailing your valuables to different places: US Postal Service, UPS?? I mean, after all this work, I want to make nothing happens to my ring in transit
3.gif

5. What am I forgetting or overlooking?

I would appreciate any feedback you all can offer. My bf and I can almost see the light out the end of the tunnel and would love advice for this last part.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
an unset stone is usually preferred for an appraisal then you can have it reappraised to include the setting.

where are you buying your stone from? some folks feel comfortable not doing an independant appraisel b/c of all the info the vendor will provide on the stone.

USPS is the safest way to mail.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Mrssalvo,
Thank you for your feedback. I am going with GOG (they rock). Your message and talking to Charles (also rocks), I feel more informed about appraisals. They will provide detailed information on the stone that I can use for insurance purposes. Whew.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results