shape
carat
color
clarity

September Healthy Living Thread

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everybody! I hope everyone is having a nice, relaxing weekend. Matt watched football all day while I read and halfway watched football, and then we went out for pizza for dinner. I wish I didn't love pizza so much, but I do. I've learned to be happy with fewer slices and a big ole side salad. We're heading home tomorrow, and I think I'll feel so much better when I see my mom. She's having a slumber party with my 3 nieces tonight, so she must be feeling pretty good.

Lisa - lousy parasites! I hope the dog is feeling better. I swear when Lily was sick, she acted embarrassed when she would have an accident in the floor. She would give me the saddest look with her tail between her legs every time. The vests sound like a good idea. Matt and I always walk late in our neighborhood, but there are no sidewalks so we're walking in the road. Luckily there isn't much traffic.

marcy - my neck is really arthritic from my accident, so my wonderful haircut lady bought a special cushion for the sink for me. Without the cushion, that sink is killer! I can't turn my head very far to the left at all anymore - it just won't go, and it hurts to turn very far to the right. I absolutely love the backup camera on my car. I test drove the Acura MDX and RDX on the way home from work yesterday. The MDX is too big, but the RDX and I bonded! It was very comfortable and easy to drive, and comfort is the name of the game in my world. I got stuck on the interstate again Thursday for an hour and a half, but Matt wasn't with me so I couldn't read or play Angry Birds! Drat!!

I'm off to take a walk and then to give Lily a bath. Have a great day tomorrow!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deegee, that is half the battle - eating things you like but in moderation. Pizza is a wonderful treat for me too. How nice your beautician has a special cushion for you when you go in. Sorry to hear about your neck though; it's amazing how much you turn your head. I hate to hear you have trouble with your neck all the time and have limited mobility. I continue to get better everyday but my neck is cracking like a bowl of rice krispies. I am glad you like the RDX. Sounds like you might be bringing home a new car soon. Just make sure it's got that 5 star safety rating. That is wonderful your mom is up to having your nieces over. I played Angry Birds all the way to Denver on Friday. I didn't get much reading done this weekend though.

We had a nice weekend. We spent Friday night near my sister's house so Marty could pick up my nephew at 6 am for a golf tournament. Marty was very upset when he realized he forgot his golf shoes. Poor guy had to play golf in flip flops. My sister picked me up at about 8 am. We went back to their house then she, my BIL and I went out to breakfast. We spent the day going through pictures then I set up a book for her on Shutterfly. She isn't real computer literate so she watched while I imported the photos and set up her book. She wants to give them to all of us for Christmas. It was fun digging through everyone's pictures.

Later in the afternoon all of my sister's kids and their families, my parents and Marty's parents met at an Italian restaurant and had a family style dinner. It was quite fun but we all ate way too much. We got home last night about 9 pm. There are so many fires out here the sky is real smokey. I sure hope we get some moisture to help put them out.

This morning I made us waffles for breakfast and fixed Marty some scrambled eggs and bacon. He played golf with his parents and then we all met for lunch. I ate part of a ground steak, mashed potatoes and veggies. I brought home the other half for lunch. I have been working on laundry most of the day.

Take care.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all! We headed home to mom and dad's today. We didn't want mom to feel the need to cook, so we stopped at the deli and bought lean deli meats and heart healthy bread, and I made a big bowl of fruit salad, along with potato salad and macaroni salad. We also brought a couple bags of baked chips, and the kids made cookies. Mom, in her need to feed everyone, made a pot of tasty minestrone soup. Matt and the kids played their usual wiffle ball game and a neighbor dog came over to play with Lily. Everyone had a great day, and I think everyone knew that we were darn lucky to spend the day with mom/grandma. Matt and Lily wore themselves out and I don't think I can drag either of them out for a walk tonight. This would be a great night to get to bed early to start the week off with plenty of sleep.

marcy - sounds like you had a busy weekend! I love looking through pictures, and I don't even care if I know the people in them or not. I bet that was fun. I brought my digital photo frame home to put newer pictures on it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I have had my macbook for a year now, and I have never taken the time to learn how to resize pictures. I've learned to live with my lousy neck. I always make sure I'm on the left side of people when we're walking side by side so that I can turn right towards them, and in meetings I sit in a way to turn my head right towards the speaker, and at restaurants I make sure to sit on the side of the table so that I can turn my head right towards the server. People who don't know me well usually ask me if I slept funny and have a stiff neck. I usually say yes, and leave it at that. They figure it out after a while anyway. I hope your neck gets better soon! The RDX gets the 5 star safety rating and has all kinds of safety features. I'm all over that! I wish we could send some of our heavy rains your way...

Have a great Monday everyone!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ladies,

Sounds like you all had a great weekend.

Marcy, what a nice family weekend. My fav is having breakfast together with family, but I'm too much of a lazy butt to get out of bed and make stuff. So it always ends up being SUPER late breakfast, like 11:30AM. Might as well have made lunch... Hope Marty had some good golf rounds.

Deegee, is there something in the air or all the PS ladies getting new cars! I agree with Marcy, sounds like you'll have a new car coming home with you. YOu can tell Matt it followed you home. :)

Sunday was our 20 mile run. Ow, ow, ow, ow. I'm SOOOO SORE today. TOnight for dinner seared ahi with stir fried udon and baby bok choi. It was OK. The veggies were a little too under-cooked, and i should've sliced the tuna thinner. They were HUGE honkin' pieces I got at Costco.

Take care ladies!

~Lisa

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good evening everyone! Matt and I just got back from our walk. It's cool out so we were able to walk much faster than usual. My legs are really jumping! I've been snacking too much lately - staying within my points but eating too much junk - so I'm trying really hard to snack only on healthy, filling foods. I got the munchies really bad this afternoon and instead of grabbing a bag of sun chips from the honor basket at work, I ate an apple. It did the trick, and I didn't get the urge to get anything else. I really like baked chips, but I have problems sticking to a serving.

lisa - 20 miles! I bet you are sore!! I'm with you about breakfast. When my family comes to visit, they know they're not going to see me before lunchtime on weekends. I can't wait to get my new car! I went test driving one day without Matt and thought about bringing one home and parking it in the driveway. The dealer did tell me I could keep it overnight, but it was before I convinced Matt that I needed a new vehicle and I figured he'd have some kind of fit if he saw a new car in the driveway!

marcy - while we were walking tonight, we passed a family setting up a telescope in their driveway. It made me think of you!

Have a great day tomorrow!!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! It's been soo long!

I've been so busy, and then lazy. I've been lurking and attempting to keep up! I saw Lisa looking for me in the runner's thread so I thought I'd pop in!

I hope everyone is doing well!!
As for me, this is my last week of training before my taper! Oh, I'm so excited! I've been eating just fine, and my hubs and I are just trying to get our house together.

And Lisa, awesome job on your 20 miles! I did a 20 2 weekends ago, and this weekend will be my last 20. Did you take an ice bath after? It's painful, but I highly recommend it! Oh, and when are you coming to Denver? Let me know!

Tonight I'll run 5 miles faster than my MP (marathon pace). MP is around 10:30 (aiming for). I'll try to run my miles tonight around a 9:30-9:45 pace. I find that I don't start to feel "good" until mile 3-4; silly distance training. I have wild caught salmon for dinner tonight, yum!

Again, hope all is well!!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Beach! I'm so glad you popped in :) OMG the 20 miler was K.I.L.L.E.R. We got a nice compliment, a woman told us, "You have a really good pace, can I just run with you two?" So she did. We ended up chatting the last 4 miles which was a life saver. She's an OPERA SINGER. How cool is THAT?!?! That was the most exciting thing I had to tell James about the race. No didn't do a ice bath. I've been told about those but they sound so unpleasant!!!! :tongue: I did a warm bath, and compression calf "sleeves." The sleeves helped so much, i'm thinking of swapping them out for full-on tights so my quads can get some compression too. It's nice, it feels like your leg is getting a hug. :) I'll be in Denny this weekend :) Staying with a friend, a little NW of Cherry Creek Lake

Deegee, Hee hee, I guess it was a smart move not to surprise Matt with a new car. Sending you some new car ju-ju :) Apple was a great swap out for chips. I also have trouble sticking to single servings so I avoid it all together. Good fo you for staying in your points. :)

SDL, OMG that's unholy early!!! I have trouble dragging my butt out of bed I dunno how I'd do it at 2:30/3AM :errrr: Hope you feel better. TRy out a Neti pot for the sinuses. I was my wit's end with my allergies a few weeks ago, also could only breathe out of one nostril at a time. The Neti pot fixed it in a cinch!

~Lisa

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Howdy all!

SDL - Goodness, that's early! When Lily wakes me up at about that time to go outside to do her thing, I'm sooo glad I'm going back to bed for another 2 1/2 hours.

Hi Beachrunner! I hope things are going well with the new house!

Lisa - I still can't imagine 20 miles. How long does that take? I'd like to do some kind of exercise in addition to walking, but I have to watch what I do because of my lousy back. Walking feels good and everything else seems to cause a flare up. Boo.

I have a long day to look forward to tomorrow and that always makes it tough for me to get out of bed in the morning. We have our Board meeting, and the last one lasted 10-3 with no breaks for lunch. I expect tomorrow's meeting to run long so I walked early tonight and I WILL get to bed before 11. We had hamburgers and salad for dinner, and I just finished off a tas-ty-licious cold beer. I need to look halfway put together tomorrow, so I'm off to dig in my closet to see if I can find anything. I really need someone who knows how to dress and accessorize to take me shopping because I'm horribly fashion challenged!! Have a great Wednesday everyone!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hello, all!

I just have to say....aahhhh. I had my first full ball workout this am. Even after not getting much sleep last night, I feel so much better! But, do you know how freaky it is to see a saggy belly while doing push-ups?! Hopefully it'll be gone soon. Still holding steady at my weight. I would probably lose a little quicker if I quit eating the m&ms. I started back hard on the Diet Dew after I had Lily just to stay awake, now I'm trying to cut back again. Gah, I wish I hadn't started slamming them again.

Wahoo for you runners! I'm pretty sure I barely top 20 miles in a month. I really despise running but I so admire those who can do it!

so glad that you're all doing well! Keep up the great work!!

Have a wonderful tomorrow!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies!
I worked from home today, so I did 10 miles this morning, which was a good thing because it rained most of the afternoon. Boo. I also got new running shoes today; can't wait to test them out tomorrow (they are the same ones I have now, so not terribly exciting). I had some brown rice stir fry with tofu for dinner. Yum!

Lisa- That's so cool about someone joining you. How long does it take for you guys to do 20miles? What are you aiming for regarding your MP? Yeah, I've heard of people liking the compression socks. I don't own any...yet. Do you and your friend have any plans? I will have my 20mile run Saturday morning. Hubs and I are going to Red Rocks Sunday to see Furthur (Phil Lesh and Bob Weir) from the Grateful Dead. Stoked!

deegee- Hello! Hope all is well with you!

Michelle- I'll admit, 20 miles is a lot but I'm excited to NOT be training for a race! Your walks with your pup sounds nice! I feel like I'm the only one in Denver without a dog. DH and I have talked about getting a dog, but we're just not ready yet. Soon, I hope!

I hope everyone has a good night! Hi to Marcy, wherever you are :wavey:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
SDL~ lol. It's not so much having the belly, it's the extra saggy skin! I think I can pull inches!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I finished my book last night. I am really enjoying my ereader but since I am mostly blind I am having trouble reading it in our living room. That is where I read the most and yet it has the worst lighting for me. I am seriously thinking of going with a Kindle because it has better contrast. Decisions, decisions. I have the brightness and contrast on my computers pretty must at total sunlight strength.

We’ve had a busy week at work. Marty’s folks stopped by last night for quite awhile and tonight we went out for supper then went grocery shopping. Marty is cooking right now, I am sure I will need blinders to go in to the kitchen in the morning. Wish me luck. :((

Deegee, I am sure your mom was a little worn out from having company but I am also sure she thoroughly enjoyed the company. That is another thing I worry about if I got a Mac if I would take the time to learn how to do things on it. I totally understand learning to live with aches, pains and limitations. It is what makes us unique and special, huh? :bigsmile: My neck is doing better but not completely gone. I think that spot might be what gives me headaches. That would have been very funny to bring a car home and park in the driveway. :devil: How cool you saw someone out with a telescope.

Lisa, late breakfasts are great. We generally eat only twice on the weekends anyway. Congrats on the 20K. I hope you are not as sore now. Have a blast in Denver.

Michelle, I always kid around that I can’t get up that early because there isn’t any air out at that time. I used to work a 6 to 2 shift and had trouble getting up that early. I hope you adjust to those hours soon. Yay for going on a nice long walks. I’ve been reading books this week and haven’t been online much. I’ll be better, I swear! How nice of you guys to miss me though.

Beach Runner, I am glad to see your post. I bet you are having fun getting your house together. Congratulations on your 20K’s too. The concert sounds fun this weekend.

Somethingshiny, yay for your first ball workout. I am with you on M&M’s. They are tough to resist. That saggy skin is a little disheartening but I figure it’s my battle scars.

Well, I am yawning and if I go now I might make it to bed by 11. I’ve been up till almost 12 every night this week reading the last book of my trilogy.

Have a great Friday. :wavey:
Marcy

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Quick check-in. Thanks for the kind words about my grandma. I did sneak in a walk/jog wed and thurs b/c we were going out of town for the funeral. And today I went down and got a massage this morning at the gym...I need to do that more often!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Just a quick update. I really threw on the get in gear this weekend and walked both days and did weights yesterday. I'm back on eating healthy as well. Alas, I am now getting a cold. Can we say COMFORT FOOD? soup and grilled cheese all the way. :lol: :sick:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! Do you ever just want to smack someone? Come on, admit it. :devil: You do. All I’m saying is next year whoever plans the family Christmas get together is NOT, I repeat; NOT going to be me. :angryfire: I swear if I hear one more comment, complaint or “whine” I will have to let my tourettes come out to play. Bwhahahahahahahahahha. I thought I’d have a nice quiet week with Marty gone to catch up on reading. Sadly I’ve spent more time on the phone listening to my family whine about someone else in my family than I’ve been doing anything else. It’s a good thing there is alcohol in the house. :lickout:

I took Marty to Denver Sunday. The traffic was awful coming home that day but at least I got to see some elk on the way home. We stopped at Jared’s to pick up a ring they fixed for me but it was not up to PS standards so I left it there. It is a RHR with 3 rows of channel set diamonds and 3 little teal Montana sapphires on top. The center sapphire was chipped so they said it should be replaced and I have their warranty so I left it there about a month ago. I guess they got it back in with a blue sapphire which wasn’t close to a match so I told them to please try again. They called me last week saying they could not find a matching stone or rough so they asked if I wanted a diamond in the center. I said sure. Then they said I owed them $337 which I quickly pointed out umm no – it’s under your warranty. The guy said he’d call me back. Now we all know in PSland that a diamond costs more than a sapphire (generally) so I was perfectly willing to pay for the difference but when he called me back with a little lecture about how this was a Kay’s ring and while they are the same company . . . blah, blah, blah. So they agreed to fix it for free and I didn’t offer to pay the difference. And how did it turn out? Well, let’s just say their steam cleaner could not get rid of the cloud in that diamond. I’m like “ewe”. Also the diamond is mounted lower than the side sapphires. I left it again and I guess they have a much nicer diamond in it but the center stone is still lower than the side stones. I might just ask them if they can just remount the sapphire and cover up the chip with a prong. Marty told me he was impressed at how calm I was with the cloudy diamond.

Food has been bad the last few days. We’ve been to parties, out with friends and family so I ate more than usual but tried to at least show some restraint.

I am trying to sell my Sony ereader at work and I want to buy a new one. I love it except I need more contrast on a reader in my living room. The newer version of my Sony has vastly improved contrast but Marty really wants me to get a Kindle. He left his Kindle here by accident so I’ve been using it this week when I’m not being bored for hours on the phone. The Kindle does have far better contrast and I guess the newest version of the Kindle is even better. I didn’t realize until last night that as long as we use the same account I can download books he has already bought to my Kindle. That will save us a lot of money. I guess I’ll be getting a Kindle. I know everyone that has one really likes it.

Appletini, glad you had a massage. I bet that felt great. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Dragonfly, I hope you feel better soon. Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches are great for colds. I finally had time to go for a walk today and it was nice to get back outside for that. We were near 90 here today.

Well, it’s way past my bedtime. Marty called awhile ago giving me a hard time since he knew it was still 3 hours before I would be in bed. He knows me so well.

Take care. :wavey: If you see any of my family out there smack them for me. Seriously and thanks. :bigsmile:

Marcy

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I've done yoga, ball, and cleaned my g'mas house this week. I am so freaking sore! But, a good sore. I've lost another lb. It's like every pound means more now than ever before because for each lb lost I can say, this is the thinnest I've been in x years.

That's all for now. These days are busy.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hey friends!

Taper week! Hooray! we've been doing short runs, thank goodness! In my 12 mile this weekend, 1) James ran with me. But 2) my top chafed my chest. ;( Basically any kind of bra or sports bra rubs and aggravates it. I tried running yesterday, and totally couldn't. Today I got some tape to cover it and it was a little better.

Today we're doing turkey meatloaf and wasabi mashed potatoes. The potatoes aren't done yet, so looks like it'll be a late dinner. :(

SS, hooray for one more lb!!! So nice you help out g'ma. :)

SDL, wow wow wow! You've definitely done really well. How are the inspiration jeans fitting? Hope your family reunion goes well

Marcy! There you are!!! OMG I know all about family craziness. We've got family craziness of my own going on right now. I just want to veg out and get away from them...

~LT

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies!

I feel like Lisa; YAY TAPER! I finished my 20 miles on Saturday and felt great! I was actually surprised with how much energy I had left, and was a huge confidence booster! I got in 8miles this morning and made stir-fry for eats.

SS- It's nice to see you back! Glad you are getting back into the swing of things but life must be a little busier with another LO around, yeah?

marcy- Hi! I hope your family drama disappears! boo. I try my best to stay off of 25 at all times! Oof. There is always traffic on I25. I hope you are doing well!

sdl- i hear you on the heat. While Denver is no where near 113, it's been in the 90's. I thought to myself on an evening run, "I'm I really running in this heat, STILL?" I keep telling myself, soon, it HAS to cool down soon, right!? :errrr:

Lisa- How was Denver!? Isn't taper beautiful!? I'll still do 30ish miles this week, then I go down to a noticeable difference the following weeks. Are you getting nervous/excited!? I know I am and my race is a week after yours! Surprisingly, I've only had minor chaffing issues, and not with my chest. Have you tried Bodyglide? I heard that stuff works wonders! I lather my feet with Vaseline for my long long runs, but that's the extent of it. Hell, for the longest time, I thought bloody nipples were just a made up thing for dudes. Sometimes I'll chafe under my armpit where my arm rubs against my shirt, but that's rare. weird, right? I tried GU for the first time a couple weeks ago! That stuff works wonders! I was so afraid to try it, esp fearful of the texture but it was super easy to eat, way easier than shot bloks or the sports beans. I'm kind of envious that your hubby runs with you. Mine couldn't run more than 3 miles with me, and I may go too fast for him, and I'm NOT fast.

Hi Dragon! I hope you are well!

Ok, time to paint my toes as black and blue isn't my color of choice.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hey Beach!!! Wow! You're so chipper after your 20. After mine I was like, "UGH! I hate the world!!!" I've had zero issues with chafing and this is all James's fault. We were in Denver and I got dressed for my run. I ended up packing the same Shamrock Shuffle tech shirt that he did. So he refused to be matchy-matchy so I switched to one of those sports tanks. I never bought it for the purpose of running, more for yoga, but he was such a baby about it I was like "FINE!" Well, that switch did me in!!! James felt really guilty but he TOTALLY deserves to feel guilty! And 2 wks before my race too! Can you tell I laid it on REALLY thick for him.... ;))

Dragon, how's your eats going? Glad you're working out.

SDL, i forgot to tell you I hope you have fun doing some weights. If you need any ideas let me know! I did a personal trainer for like 10 months. I *love* lifting, I was gettign to the point where I was doing 140lb squats. :bigsmile:

~Lisa

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results