shape
carat
color
clarity

Sentimal uses for heritage wedding rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I have my grandma''s wedding rings from both sides.
Just plain gold, no stone. I''ve worn one of them for several years.

Are there any common uses for plain gold wedding bands?

Should I make them into pendents or charms?
If so, have a jeweler add a stone/setting to it, or what?

Should I keep them as is, plain gold bands, in the jewelry box?

I can''t imagine there being a use, unless I wanted to wear it as my future wedding band, but I don''t.

I should add that my family has my great grandma''s wedding band from the very early 1900s that we recently found. It''s cool because it''s so old. Also a plain band, but still cool since that one was engraved. The grandmas wedding bands are not engraved with any names/dates, they are only stamped 14k. I don''t want to spoil future generations ability to look at these rings and say "wow, cool, those are old," but I do like the idea of a pearl or stone pendent or charm bracelet charm from them so they get some use.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
I''m very sentimental, so I would leave the rings as they are. Have you tried wearing them strung on a chain?

Or if you really want a new piece out of them, how about a circle necklace, with your name (+ hubby''s, optional) engraved in the center ring?

http://www.kathryncolejewelry.com/product/3-circles-necklace

http://etsyitemoftheday.com/simag-etsy-handmade-jewelry-circle-necklace-sterling-silver-delicate-handmade/

Something like those, but with no soldering on the original rings.

Or if they''re big enough, a more delicate version of this necklace:

http://www.oxxojewellery.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=73&osCsid=3ra7fgi05koeq5sb7fie63pls6

That would keep the original bands intact, and create an entirely new heirloom piece.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
If they''re both wearable, you could also add more rings and make them into a stacker set?

zcgolddmixedinterlockedcirclesnecklace304.jpg

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
another option:

Barnoi-Gold-Linked-Circle-Necklace-760794.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
ringthings -

i'm sentimental also - but mine took a different route.

i was allergic to something in my original wedding band, so i had it remade into a pendant. have a look here.

the original ring was yellow gold with tiny diamonds in white gold (hard to explain/describe). i think it was the white gold i was allergic to. so i had that part removed and used part for this pendant, and part for a new ring. my point is - if you dont like the ring you have, could you use the gold to make it into a different type of ring? add a diamond or a colored gem? it doesnt just have to be a pendant/charm. some say that it's sentimental to leave a ring as is. i think it's more sentimental to wear it; there's nothing sentimental about leaving a ring in a drawer. (NB this is personal preference ONLY - there is no right or wrong to this.)

in the final analysis, it's the memory which is important, and the thing you're remembering which is sacred. the piece of jewelry is just a key to unlock that memory, and it can take any form you like....

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
Wow, cool ideas, thanks!

I love the multiple rings on a chain idea! That''s just about perfect.

If I could find a way to do that, by attaching loops to string them together, and not damage the actual rings, that''d be perfect. And kind of a young, modern necklace that''s got some sentiment to it. I bet I could *almost* (but probably not) muster that up with supplies from a craft store. Realistically, a jeweler might be a better idea.. but where do I go to find a trusted one who would do a relatively simple project like this?

I had thought about making it a pendent, with a stone/pearl hanging down the middle. So, the ring probably wouldn''t be damaged in doing that, either. I saw someone do that once. Then, if I regretted it later, it would be an easy un-do.. but get some use in the meanwhile.

The really cool EXTREMELY old rings we didn''t know we had until I looked through the family jewelry drawers this year and saw engraving and a date on it (early 1900s!). So, I''m kind of wanting to make some use of these (NOT the early 1900s, but the mid-to-late 1900s rings that aren''t engraved) so they don''t get forgotten in some drawer. The very early 1900s will stay safely in the drawer. The 2 newer (mid-to-late 1900s) rings I''m talking about might not even be the original wedding rings, but are at least a few decades old or older.

Both are wearable, with one being more like a pinky ring, but it seems weird to wear wedding rings.. that aren''t mine, and I''m also not married. I''ve worn one for a few years and stack it with another ring or two. I guess I could add stones to it, and leave it as a ring. Would that highly damage (meld down) the ring? It seems like a lot of effort/expense for a basic gold/cheap ring, but maybe not? The necklace sounds happily less expensive. I value the idea of keeping the rings as is, but want some use for them so they''re not forgotten about (or forgotten which ring was whose, too).

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I love the silver and gold one with 3 large silver circles, and 4 small gold circles.

I also like the one-ring Dual Chunky Link Necklace. I could put both on there and have the chain be the chunky element.

Now to find a place that could do a good job of it..

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like the rings are in good hands :) I didn''t know you weren''t married - no offense, I hope. The stone/pearl pendant idea sounds cool too. Good luck on your project!

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
No, no... I really appreciate all the suggestions. :) I tend to picture people as maybe a bit older and married myself.. just since it seems like most people start ''building'' their jewelry collection with wedding rings. If these old gold rings I have were something I liked design-wise, I''d use one of them as my own ring when I get married. Maybe engrave my and my future-spouses names on it, plus my grandparents names and wedding dates. Or something. I think my mom has my grandma''s engagement ring, so I guess I could end up wearing that as something.

I''ll probably start with trying to see if I can find a jeweler who could do the necklaces in the chain style.
I like the idea of a coin-style, engraved, too. I might eventually do that too, when I could really make it pretty with stones and some special design that has a lot of meaning.

I really like the idea of meshing heritage and new wedding rings. I thought about keeping it as is to wear as mine, though it''s plain and not really what I''d want. I thought about adding a stone to it, then switching over to gold. For the engagement/wedding/eternity ring, I really like the idea of putting one stone from each side of the family (his and hers) on a ring. Even if just cheap old diamonds, I like the sentiment in it. Of course, these old wedding rings don''t have stones so I''m not sure if I could muster up stones from each.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I would leave them as is and keep them as family heirlooms.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results